• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Outsider Revisions and Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren_Valion

VS Battles
Retired
Introduction

''Gasp'' - can it be? Warren Valion working on something that isn't Shinza?

Yes, yes. It's true, I like other series too! Aren't I special?

But enough of that, I am here today to talk about my favorite character in one of my favorite franchises - The Outsider from ''Dishonored''.

After replaying the series, and finally getting around to playing and 100%ing ''Death of the Outsider'', I am in a ''Dishonored'' mood, and seeing our current profiles makes me want to improve them. Other more talented individuals than myself are taking care of the human characters, but I wanted my own dive into discussing the flaws and improvements that could be made to The Outsider's page.

So that's what I plan on doing.

Lets-a-go!

Context

Because I am a stickler for context, I will give a brief explanation on The Outsider and the Void.

The Outsider is (or was, thanks Billie) the current representative of The Void who was once a mortal man 4000 years prior to the start of Dishonored's time who was abducted by a cult who worships the Void. The cult performed a ritual that turned him into a god, "merging (him) in part with the Void" and "becoming one with" it. All to satisfy The Void's primal need to have a representative.

The Void is what it sounds like, a timeless expanse of nothingness that has no end nor beginning.

"This place is the end of all things. And the beginning."
"All of time is meaningless here. Neither seconds nor centuries."

-The Heart (Dishonored)

With that out of the way, let's focus on the content of this blog.

The Current Rating and its Faults​

The current rating, to my knowledge, of why the Void is High 3-A is because of this statement called "Letter from Delilah":

"Kirin,

You ask what the Void looks and feels like, if it can be measured like a real place. Here's my answer: Don't concern yourself with such matters. It is as real as anything I've ever experienced, but if you understood it, you'd know that such a statement makes as little sense as saying that I have been dead.

The Void is unspeakable. It is infinite and it is nowhere, ever-changing and perpetual. There are more things in the endless black Void, Kirin Jindosh, than are dreamt of in your natural philosophy. Leave aside things beyond your reach, and be content that you are gifted with more insight than the common man.

-Delilah"

Seems solid, but what's the problem?

Well for one, there are occasions of The Void being stated to have "edges", and while I personally don't think this is enough to deter the Void being infinite in size (especially considering that at the "edge" of the Void, the expanse still goes on seemingly endlessly, so the comment can be taken non-literally), but some do.

However, I have a different problem with the current rating - I believe them to be too weak.

I will explain in the sections below.

The Physical Universe or "World" of Dishonored

To first explain the Void, one must know the context of how large the physical universe or "world" as its called in Dishonored actually is.

To explain, there is an in-game lore text written by one of the smartest characters in the Dishonored universe, Anton Sokolov, called "The Hungry Cosmos" that, gives us a better understanding on what Time is Dishonored.

"I have postulated here that time itself is an illusion, not so much the inevitable decline of a system from order into chaos, but merely an additional aspect of space, the nature of which is not immediately obvious. If a solid object is said to occupy a space by virtue of its length, breadth and volume, can the same object be not said to likewise occupy the measurable dimension of 'duration?'"

This shows us that Time in Dishonored is the Fourth Dimension and entwined with space, and this implies that the universes (or the "World") in Dishonored are Low 2-C Space-Time Continuums.

The Void​

So we know a little bit about the world, that its a Low 2-C physical universe, but what about The Void?

Well, we know that The Void is "...the end of all things. And the beginning." But what does that mean exactly?

Well, it is has been stated that The Void "issued forth the worlds and stars" and that the "entirety of the Cosmos has been slowly returning to the Void, pulled back toward its eventual destruction."

"The Hungry Cosmos" also mentions this fate for reality.

"Once the curtain has been lifted, it becomes inescapable that we inhabit a world adrift in a sea of howling chaos, a terrible maelstrom in which all heavenly bodies orbit a devouring core. Though the trip could take many thousands of lifetimes, all cosmic objects are eventually dragged into this hungry nexus [The Void] and forever cease to be."

This line of thought is further proven by this quote from The Heart about The Void (An artifact created by The Outsider that possess innate knowledge of nearly all things, including The Void).

"Someday this place will devour all the lights in the sky."
-The Heart (Dishonored)

And even further proven once again by another direct statement from Harvey Smith:

"...the Void itself devours all"
-Harvey Smith

There is also this audiograph according to Malchiodi, a minor character in Death of the Outsider:

"The topography of the Void is dependent upon reality to supply the base material for it to mirror."
-Malchiodi

All of this information comes together to paint a picture. The Void is a timeless expanse, which is both the origin of all things and their end - that it created, mirrors, and will eventually destroy the physical universe - which is heavily implied to be Low 2-C due to the understandings of that Time is a Fourth Dimension and another aspect of space.

All this comes together to what I believe proves that the Void is At least Low 2-C.

But I have evidence of The Void being even greater.

Alternate Timeline Shenanigans and Hollows​

Firstly, I need to explain that alternate universes do exist in Dishonored. And their context within the games' narratives.

In the seventh mission in Dishonored 2, A Crack in the Slab, you enter a secluded run-down mansion whose only inhabitant is the maddened Aramis Stilton. Once you reach him, you are visited by The Outsider, who tells you that something terrible happened in this place three years prior, allowing the Void a whole to puncture the world, and because of that wound in the world, both time-points are connected (Which shows that The Void exists through out time as well as space, further proof of at least Low 2-C), that whatever happened is still happening, that the thing that Stilton saw that broke his mind is still breaking it.

So The Outsider gives you a "Timepiece" that allows you to teleport yourself back into the past three years ago so you can see what happened yourself. In this mission, you need to constantly be thinking fourth dimensionally, as things that are blocked in the present are open in the past, and vice versa.

The main thing however, are the differences to the timeline that you can create through your actions, dubbed "Hollows", which I will expand on their importance to tiering later.

The biggest change you can make in A Crack in the Slab, however, is that if you knockout Stilton so that he doesn't go into the séance that revived the main antagonist Delilah see what he saw that broke his mind, the present is dramatically changed.

The rundown and abandoned mansion is brought back to life again. Stilton is not crazy anymore and one of your allies, who previously was shown to have lost her right eye and one of her arms (you learn that she lost them in a fight against the Grand Guards guarding the mansion when she went to go check on Stilton) has those parts of her body back, because they were never removed in the first place in this new timeline.

This character's name is Meagan Foster, or actually known as Billie Lurk, who is the protagonist of Death of the Outsider. In said game, Billie has been having dreams of her alternate self losing her arm and eye, to the point of feeling physical pain and numbness. It is because, according to The Outsider, "The world was wounded around her" to the point that The Outsider is able to bestow her the Black-Shard Arm and the Sliver of the Eye. Both these objects allow Billie to see and interact with Hollows.

Hollows are small cracks and fissures in the world in which The Void is leaking through reality which Billie can interact with to hear excerpts from The Outsider thanks to her Void artifacts, they are monochrome objects that flickers in and out of reality, into alternate versions of itself or sometimes different objects entirely. We know, however, that what we are seeing are alternate realities of the same object occupying the same space.

Proof of this is this statement from a Hollow by The Outsider himself, "A thousand lives, a thousand choices, all converged on one wounded body, one wounded mind." Later in the game, The Outsider says to Billie that "time is bleeding into itself around you", once again reinstating the belief that different points of time are folding onto one part of space. Whether or not this implies that there are thousands of alternate realities, I don't know, but it is a possibility.

The first Hollow that we see in the game is proof that these "choices" are alternate timelines, as it is an image of Billie and Stilton smiling, before switching to an alternate version of the image in a slightly different position which shows the version of Billie from the timeline in which Stilton lost his mind and she lost her eye and arm, before flickering once again. Said alternate versions of Billie are representative of the alternate version of Billie that existed before the events of A Crack in the Slab. There is also another Hollow later in the game which shows a painting of Aramis Stilton, either the normal jovial version of him, or the madden and crazed one - further proof showing that by "time bleeding into itself" are, in fact, alternate timelines taking place within the same space.

To put it simply, the Dishonored universe has multiple timelines, multiple different worlds that exist depending on significant choices that are made. At least two (Or three) with the events of A Crack in the Slab to possibly at least a thousand if we take one of the Hollows' dialogue seriously.

But there might be something more to The Void yet, its zenith, The Ritual Hold.

The Ritual Hold​

The Ritual Hold is a part or aspect of The Void that is different, separated but connected, and dare I say "deeper" than the rest of The Void.

I mentioned this audiograph earlier, but it's relevant here as well.

In the last mission of Death of the Outsider, "A Hole in the World", you hear from one of the cultists this:

"The topography of the Void is dependent upon reality to supply the base material for it to mirror. However, there is one place that has no referent in our world, though I know the Void sees into our hearts. My fellows call it the Ritual Hold. Some say it is a cradle, others say a tomb. The Outsider himself resides there. To even approach the gate to that place is sacrilege, and even then the Void itself keeps it shut to living eyes. Truly, the Ritual Hold exists outside of time itself. It would be as futile as it is forbidden to enter."

As mentioned earlier, The Void mirrors Reality, which as we discussed, possess multiple universes. But there is more to be dissected from Malchiodi's words.

There is a deeper level, akin to a heart or brain, of The Void, called The Ritual Hold that doesn't base itself on the physical world. It is where the physical body of The Outsider lies.

It is a place which The Void makes impossible and futile for the living to enter, and is speculated to exist beyond time itself by the man smart enough to discover the truth about The Outsider's Mark - that it's The Outsider's name that the Twin-Bladed Knife "cut away".

Now while I know this isn't definitive and only has one source to give the implication, I think the implication is solid enough to venture a 'possibly' rating of at least 'far higher' due to The Ritual Hold stuff.

So with all of that put together, I believe The Void to be "At least Low 2-C, likely 2-C to possibly 2-B", and the Ritual Hold should add on a "possibly far higher".

And that because of The Outsider merging in part and becoming one with The Void, that he should get this tier as well.

But tiering isn't the only problem with The Outsider's page. His abilities have little to no justification whatsoever - time to change that.

Powers and Abilities​

First things first, we need a statement that proves that all magic comes from The Void/Outsider:

"This is the place from which those who dabble in the black arts draw their power. And this place is their doom."
- The Heart about The Void (Dishonored)

I believe there is another statement or quote that says directly that The Outsider/Void is the source of all magic, but I can't find it - and I don't have the time to play and look through every lore book in Dishonored to find one quote. There is also the obvious that The Outsider literally gives people his mark, so logically, he should have those abilities at least - but I wanted to cover all bases.

The Outsider's powers and abilities need scans, and so here they are:

Standard Abilities:​

Abilities from Mark Bearers:​

Updated Profile​

I have made the outline of the updated profile for The Outsider here on my sandbox.

I will be using this as the replacement for the current profile.

Conclusion​

The Outsider is an incredible character and I feel like this with this CRT (and sandbox), I have done him the justice that this wiki deserves.

If you have any questions or are willing to point out any mistakes, feel free to ask and tell me respectively in the comment section below and I will answer them.

Thank you.

Vote Tally​

Agree: 10-11 (Arc7Kuroi, WeeklyBattles, Cyberblader90, Milly_Rocking_Bandit, SchroKatze, CrimsonStarFallen, DarkDragonMedeus, TISSG7Redgrave, Celestial_Pegasus, Schnee_One)
  • Change the Tiering to: "At least Low 2-C, possibly 2-C to 2-B, possibly far higher": 1 (Duedate8898)
Disagree: 0

Ambivalent: 0

Last edited:
I haven't played the Dishonored games, BUT I was lucky enough to be privy to Warren's profile construction for the Outsider. Despite me knowing nothing going into this, his format and use of scans enabled me to understand everything I needed to on the profile. That being said, based on the information presented within the Outsider's profile, it is consistent with itself and accurate to what is on the profile. All in all looks good to me.

I can fully agree with The Outsider being Low 2-C. Being a part of the void, the void consuming reality, etc, all of that points to that being for sure.
A bit shakey on 2-C to 2-B, since there isn't anything that explicitly speaks about there being multiple timelines and such, though I will agree with a possibly 2-C to 2-B since I think those quotes do lead credence to the idea at least.

All of the powers look good, and I think Energy Projection doesn't need to be a possible.

I can fully agree with The Outsider being Low 2-C. Being a part of the void, the void consuming reality, etc, all of that points to that being for sure.
A bit shakey on 2-C to 2-B, since there isn't anything that explicitly speaks about there being multiple timelines and such, though I will agree with a possibly 2-C to 2-B since I think those quotes do lead credence to the idea at least.

All of the powers look good, and I think Energy Projection doesn't need to be a possible.
I'll make an addendum of your suggestion for others to view and rate.

It's definitely not the most concrete thing, but with the statements of Hollows being time bleeding into itself and it demonstrably being alternate timelines, I thought it was solid enough to be tiered that way.

Energy Projection comes from the Twin-Bladed Knife, which while I think should logically scale to The Outsider/Void, since it got its powers from the Void. Some might find that contentious since it is the weapon that can bring an end to The Outsider. So that is why it is a "Possible" rating.

I haven't touched the novels or comics and I don't have access to them.

I would recommend taking snapshots of the feats from the works, and then they can be compiled in another CRT down the road.

I would be happy to help with constructing that CRT when all the scans have been collected.

I'll skim through them when I get home but the third book is basically an exposition dump regarding death of the outsider and the first book gives causality manip

Is this actually required?

Because this seems like a lot of work to reference every link in its own section. ;_;
Unfortunately yes, and yeah I know it's annoying hell I've been going back through my old pages gradually applying this, but the good part is if you link to the same page multiple times you only have to link it once and then you can just abbreviate it for every other link

I just did a mass upgrade of Shinza with completely new profiles and no one said a thing. Aren't the scans reference enough?

This will take me hours to go through. I don't even know if I know how to set up a link to a different part of the page.

Anyway, do I have to make a reference to every single link or just the ones that lead to other websites like the Dishonored wiki and YouTube?

Because I have a lot of links that are screenshots of Harvey Smith's tweets.

If it links to a youtube video or a full page then you would have to put a reference, iirc Twitter scans dont need one as it's meant to be a means for people to look at full source pages that scans are taken from

Yeah, already looked at this before, profile looks great.

Low 2-C is agiven, and while the higher ratings are definetly not concrete, i feel like the possibly and likely ratings apply.

everything looks great and well low 2-C is very solid. The others are possible I would probably go for just possibly 2-B based on that but not sure. I have a suggestion to box out the resistance as a separate tab to make keeping track of the abilities and such easier

everything looks great and well low 2-C is very solid. The others are possible I would probably go for just possibly 2-B based on that but not sure. I have a suggestion to box out the resistance as a separate tab to make keeping track of the abilities and such easier
He only has two flat out resistances, which are both part of a separate tab with divisions in the abilities.

Although an argument can in fact be made that potentially all abilities that he possesses, he also possesses a resistance to, due to how Possession and Bend Time are abilities that characters have that also don't work on those blessed with a connection to the Void. But I will not attempt to make such an argument.

Whatever the case, I don't think another special tab is needed.

The only other resistances that he would have are ones granted intricately from things like Acausality, but those aren't noted on the profile.

Shouldn't the outsider have resistance from delilah
Resistance to what?

Do the novels and comics add anything that warren hasnt already included
Most definitely, but I haven't had the pleasure of reading any of the comics or novels, nor do I have access to them, so I can't work on that by myself.

If and when Weekly gives me the scans, I plan on making another CRT in the future adding those abilities/resistances.

Resistance to what?

Most definitely, but I haven't had the pleasure of reading any of the comics or novels, nor do I have access to them, so I can't work on that by myself.

If and when Weekly gives me the scans, I plan on making another CRT in the future adding those abilities/resistances.
mind manip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back