• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Lord Warden vs Lord Thorkell (2-0-0)

The Warden vs Thorkell

Assumptions:​

Speed Equalized
Both combatants are In-Character
Both are Tier 9-A
The battle's Location is the forest near Jomsborg and the combatants can access all of the canon locations within the area
Combatants start forty-nine meters away from each other.
Otherwise, Standard Battle Assumptions.​

CombatantsVotes
Why do you fight? For your people? To test your strength? For honor? Draw your weapon, and show me your answer!@Naito-desu,@Catbowtie
I love fighting, but even more than that, I hate losing! I only fight to win!
Inconclusive

Last edited:
I'm assuming Thorkell to be baseline without a calculation attached to his 9-A rating. Warden is 0.017 tons, so as of now, Warden has a 3x AP Advantage

Thorkell's fighting style should not be unfamiliar to the Warden since the Warden has fought other vikings with similar fighting styles and weaponry. Accounting for his skill in terms of sheer experience, feats, and scaling to other comparable characters like Apollyon, I'd say he is comparable as a top tier fighter of the setting.

Thorkell has the Lifting Strength advantage although I don't really see a calc attached to his rating so I'm also assuming baseline in this case. Meanwhile, the Warden should be comparable to other characters capable of ripping off heads and crushing helmet (and skull) with it. Avoiding grappling can be part of his strategy to mitigate this as the Warden has fought plenty grapplers before.

The Warden also has more varied equipment like Stun Bomb, Bombs, and his Healing Banner to help deal damage, gain an opening, or heal back any damage he personally takes.

Warden: AP advantage, comparable skill, varied equipment, healing
Thorkell: Possible lifting strength advantage, maybe more acrobatic?

With these in mind, I think Warden takes the win.

Vinland Saga doesn't have any calculations made for it, so Thorkell is only as powerful as this feat.

Thorkell's experience is comparable to Wardens, if not higher. Thorkell has fought and won enough battles to get to the point where he was "tired of being on the side that always emerged victorious." Thorkell went evenly matched against Garm, who is able to kill armed men as a child and was implied by Garm himself to be holding back in the fight. Floki, who's known Thorkell years, thinks that there is no man alive that could kill Thorkell. Floki's statement has some merit, as he is a commander of the Jomsvikings, an army that is made to go around and fight wars. In the minimum of two years (Since Floki has known him for years, so more than one) Floki has not seen one warrior of comparable strength or skill to beat Thorkell. This experience has a timeframe of more than ten years, coming from Thors deserting the Jomsvikings "more than a decade before." (Look at his abilities section or press Control + G and search "decade") The Jomsvikings are regularly active in battle, leaving Thorkell sitting at the second top (first place being Thors) in terms of strength and experience. There's more examples to be pulled that Thorkell is no sloth in experience, but I'm sure you get the point.

In the actual "crossing weapons" fight, I'm not sure if Warden could just cut through Thorkell's axe and armor, but assuming he does, if the first one isn't a kill shot then Thorkell could grab and pop Warden's head like a grape.

My vote goes to Warden even despite this. Thorkell has the capacity to do some genuinely stupid things, even with Standard Battle Assumptions. Thorkell lives for the thrill of the fight, so he will absolutely prolong or hold back to make the fight longer, causing Warden to reach his win conditions more reliably.

Also what does Warden do against Thorkell's Fear Inducement?

The Warden is equivalent to the Orochi and therefore Apollyon. They are high above a chain of heroes who themselves can fight hordes of enemies. The Warden singlehandedly lifted a siege by the Vikings and was enough to turn the tide against an invading army. Constant battle is also something in his repertoire, and he has fought countless other lords with comparable experience. Given that he outskills some warriors who themselves are one-man armies or martial masters alongside that, I would not sleep on him either.
In the actual "crossing weapons" fight, I'm not sure if Warden could just cut through Thorkell's axe and armor, but assuming he does, if the first one isn't a kill shot then Thorkell could grab and pop Warden's head like a grape.
You cannot presume Thorkell would do this to the Warden but I do not see a solid rating for Thorkell's lifting strength. It's only on paper that there's a gap but Warden's already close to peak scaling to the top of Class 5 while Thorkell has no solid rating for Class 10, meaning he'd actually be baseline and actually only slightly stronger if not merely equivalent to the Warden. I'd concede this point if there was a proper rating that demonstrated the gap but as it stands, they're actually not that far apart in LS.

As for fear inducement, For Honor heroes have a special resistance to fear given Raider's battlecry can actually scare off most warriors except for heroes. Not to mention, frequent fear manip in the universe that he's dealt with, not to mention the Warden's willpower. Though, I'd consider it a stomp though if Thorkell's Fear Inducement consistently and always worked, but I don't believe that's the case.

The Warden fights honorably but is not above using techniques like his bombs or the Healing Banner to replenish himself more quickly while Thorkell slowly gets whittled down. In any case, I'll vote Warden. I feel that his arsenal, variety, and skill make for stronger win cons than Thorkell's ferocity.

I don't believe that's the case.
It's not. It's only depicted once in this scene and it seems as though it was a combination of his Social Influencing and the Viking himself being scared of death. Just mentioning it in the fringe case that it does come up.

Anyways, I agree with you For The Reasons above.

Yeah Thorkell is wrecked here.

The man badly needs calcs that weren't given for whatever reason.

Beyond that, Thorkell is a murder hobo and fights like one, putting little to nothing into defense, and unfortunately in terms of skill, Thorkell outscales everyone not name Thors or Thorfinn and even then could kill the latter in one hit.

His skill is a lot less impressive when you realize that he's really just upscaling from top-tier soldiers because trying to give him any of his army solos is basically treating a guy who can't really be harmed and is a human blender as a skill feat, it ain't, he's just stat-stomping.

Back