• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Langoliers' Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
So currently, the Langoliers are listed as being Subsonic for moving 'slower than a passenger plane'. I'd like to start off by saying that yes, the protagonists of The Langoliers managed to escape the eponymous creatures by flying a passenger plane away from them. This happened. There's no denying that.

That said, it occured to me that there are numerous reasons for why it isn't that simple, and why the Langoliers are in-fact much, much faster than Subsonic.

For starters, this happened in 'the past' of the reality the story takes place in. (Presumably the Keystone Reality due to time travel being impossible beyond a certain point, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed or not) The thing about this particular portion of Stephen King's mythos is, the world of the past is frozen in time and completely devoid of life. Smells, tastes and other sensations are almost nonexistent due to the world's complete lack of motion on a beyond-molecular level. Sounds are unable to echo, machines don't operate due to electricity being unable to flow, and even bullets fired from a gun fail to penetrate a person's skin at point-blank range due to said bullets carrying no force upon exiting the barrel. The past is, quite literally, a world that has stopped in its tracks.

The second thing I want to bring up is, both the protagonists themselves and the aforementioned passenger plane are exceptions to this whole 'frozen in time' thing. It's eventually explained in both the novel and the miniseries that, upon travelling through the time-rip that sent them into the past in the first place, the plane and its passengers had essentially 'brought their time with them' into the past. Because of this, the protagonists, the plane and the objects/substances brought into the plane were the only things that could move within the world of the past, as their own personal time was still in motion despite the surrounding time being frozen. (Yes, I know this is getting complicated, but bear with me here.)

The only other beings capable of moving within that frozen world are the Langoliers. In fact, the Langoliers not only move within this frozen past without need of the confusing time bullshit I mentioned above, but are also able to do so at 'speeds' far exceeding that of what a typical human is capable of.

Now for the last bit. Some people who haven't read or seen The Langoliers might think to themselves 'Well, what exactly gets left behind after the Langoliers eat the past?' The answer to that is: Literally nothing. No physical world, no time, no space, no reality whatsoever, and nothing that falls in-between. By the time they are done, every second of reality in the past has been eaten. This is notable because, even after leaving their surroundings as nothing but a timeless, spaceless, everything-less void, the Langoliers are still capable of going wherever they want.

So in conclusion, I'm proposing this:

"Speed: Infinite (Capable of moving within a past that has been frozen in time, as well as travelling within the void of nothingness left behind by their own consumption of time, space and reality within the past)"

What say everyone else?

I haven't read the book and haven't watched the movie since middle school, but I think that Infinite speed seems reasonable.

From what I can recall of both, the novel is almost exactly the same as how the movie turned out, with only a few minor differences that have little bearing on the plot as a whole.

I think the movie might actually exist on YouTube somewhere. May have to check for it.

So am I clear to make the changes, or should I wait for more input?

I suppose that this seems to make sense.

Stephen Kings work tho...

Reading this, i say it looks legit to me if they are able to truly move in such environment. That and basically what Darkanine said.

CrossverseCrisis said:
Stephen Kings work tho...
Pretty much what I say every time I read one of his stories of this type.

Anywho, this seems to have enough support, so if it's alright, I'm gonna go ahead and make the change to the profile. Shouldn't take more than a couple of moments.

Okay. Tell us here when you are done, so I can close this thread.

Finished. Also cleaned up their Powers and Abilities while I was there. (Original wording on the page seemed a bit lacking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back