• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The bad MC from a bad LN vs Kirito

He's a massive asshole who's a jerk to everyone and girls love him by the dozens anyway. Also, he's the chosen of The Law of Identity, which gave him even more reasons to treat people like crap. A shame he turned out that way, he was quite nice if short tempered at first, but after he embraces being the Demon King, he's just unsufferable.

Being innsiferable to others doesn't sound that bad, girls liking him anyway does I guess

Schnee One said:
Being innsiferable to others doesn't sound that bad
You and I have very different views of how a protagonist should be then, because the main character of the story, the one whose point of view is the main and whom we're meant to root for, being a jerk who has no problem on sacrificing his friend's lifes for his own good or going to kill his best friend's girlfriend simply because he disagreed with him isn't anything close to being "not that bad".

being a jerk who has no problem on sacrificing his friend's lifes for his own good or going to kill his best friend's girlfriend simply because he disagreed with him isn't anything close to being "not that bad".

You must have been rooting for L in Death Note. I loved Light as a protagonist.

I was indeed rooting for L, even when I clearly noted Light was meant to be the protagonist. Also, Light is on a well written series, something Akuto can't claim.

Amazingly enough, Kirito would stomp in terms of being better written, and Kirito is nothing special at all.

You and I have very different views of how a protagonist should be then, because the main character of the story, the one whose point of view is the main and whom we're meant to root for, being a jerk who has no problem on sacrificing his friend's lifes for his own good or going to kill his best friend's girlfriend simply because he disagreed with him isn't anything close to being "not that bad".

"Whom we're meant to root for"

Protagonists are not people we should root for by default just because they are the main character. They are characters who are the main point of view for the Audience to grasp the story, they don't have to be people you root for

My profile picture is a main character who destroys civilian heald oil facilities because they belong to a race he despises, yet he's one of my favorite protags ever.

I seriously doubt one would make a story where the antagonists are meant to be ones to root for unless they have some twisted moralities for his series. Or, that the MC may be like you said, and the antagonists are just even worse, like on Akuto's case, given how the girls laud him as a saviour of mankind since that's quite literally why TLOI chose him for, and you're very clearly meant to root for him since the antagonists are either genocidal maniacs or people who want to brainwash humans to make them their slaves.

You can make an asshole/villain protag as long as he has other redeeming features, or is entertaining enough to keep people rooting for him (Say, Walter White or Ainz Ooal Gown). You can surely make a story where you root for the antagonist, villain protagonists are a thing, like Death Note mentioned above.

You just have to write good.

I seriously doubt you aren't mean to root for Light in Death Note, but I totally find it impossible to root for him, given he's very clearly worse than the people he's killing.

Not too sure about that, but you can always choose who you root for. People often root for genocidal maniacs even if they are the villains (Say, Thanos in Infinity War or "TheEmpireDidNothingWrong" people from Star Wars). As silly as it is, they can be compelling even as villains.

But this thread is about which LN edgelord kills each other, so we should focus on that.

Ionliosite said:
I seriously doubt one would make a story where the antagonists are meant to be ones to root for unless they have some twisted moralities for his series. Or, that the MC may be like you said, and the antagonists are just even worse, like on Akuto's case, given how the girls laud him as a saviour of mankind since that's quite literally why TLOI chose him for, and you're very clearly meant to root for him since the antagonists are either genocidal maniacs or people who want to brainwash humans to make them their slaves.
Cough Overlord Cough

Well, I agree to some extend, like with Light, I understand where he comes from, I just disagree with what he does since I don't see how he's any better than the people he's killing. And on Daimaou itself, Bouichirou Yamato is one of my favourite characters despite being an important antagonist, simply because he's way more likable than Akuto.

I'm Blue daba dee daba die said:
Wait, I thought you like Ichiban, that's why you run the CRT's, is listed as a supporter, and bring it up in the "X tries to solo your verse" threads
I read the whole series from beginning to end and I'm one of the most knowledgeable people about the verse. A totally different matter is me liking it, because I don't, I rate it a 3/10 on MAL.

Well yeah Overlord is a great show but I'm never rooting for Ainz or anybody from Nazarick, they're pieces of shit. Same with Death Note I HATE Light, great character and a lot of fun but it was very satisfying seeing him broken, defeated, and suffering at the end.

So yeah I understand but I still enjoy them.

Ionliosite said:
I seriously doubt one would make a story where the antagonists are meant to be ones to root for unless they have some twisted moralities for his series. Or, that the MC may be like you said.
Not every protagonist is meant to be rooted for, they are a point of view within the story, even some older forms of literature like Macbeth or a good majority of horror protags are protags who are not meant to be rooted for, but meant to represent the world and plot the Are in.

Literally anything can work with the proper execution

I'm actually more disturbed by the odd way you decided to cut my quote than by what you said.

I didn't really use your character as an example, I tried to make an example with Akuto by using what you said as an starting point.

InfiniteSped said:
You can make an asshole/villain protag as long as he has other redeeming features, or is entertaining enough to keep people rooting for him (Say, Walter White or Ainz Ooal Gown). You can surely make a story where you root for the antagonist, villain protagonists are a thing, like Death Note mentioned above.
You just have to write good.
You forgot Cloud Strife btw, not so villanious but still he's an d**khead in the beginning of the game

After what you said you switched up the the Antagonists then discussed why Akuto Sucks, which I don't doubt, but you even said that you doubted an author would do that, being write a story where you root for the antagonists

Evil protagonists can still be enjoyed even if you don't root for them/ they are Evil and their motives are wrong.

Ainz commits heavy atrocities against entire races either by his hands or by his orders. Hell, there are moments where they make you empathize with the people they screwed that make me wish Touchme was still around to give them a harsh dissapointed look.

But he still has interesting/likable characteristics who make him interesting like the heavy stress he's always under due to his farce, the dumb luck moments, his stupid side, etc.

Darth Vader is also undeniably evil, but the tragicness behind the character and his overall badassness makes you at least respect him, if not like his character.

Akuto Sai by what you are describing seems to be a bland edgy power fantasy character, bland being the keyword that's most insulting.

I mean, Lucifer Morningstar is pretty shady dude, but he is such a likeable character as well as amazing development, that you still root for him overall.

So not all the protagonists you root for in a story have to be "morally good", to be characters you can enjoy

I never said they have to be morally good to be enjoyable tho. I quite literally said I like how Light is written even when I find it impossible to root for him.

Also, I think the best way to make me like a morally black character is by simply making it charismatic, Dio Brando is the best example that comes to mind. I like DIO, mainly because of how charismatic, funny and over the top he is, but I totally think he is a ruthless monsters with no actual redeeming qualities.

Back