• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Thanos Intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Note: I'm going to use cosmic energy and power cosmic interchangeably for variety. They're the same thing.

Basically, Thanos has Supergenius intelligence, but nothing on his profile justifies anything beyond Extraordinary Genius. I'm here to rectify this.

Firstly, he was able to graft Galactus' DNA onto to his own to create a being similar and superior to Galactus. This doesn't sound too impressive until you consider the parasitic nature of the Power Cosmic (see below), realise that Galactus is a cosmic being and formless cosmic energy that actively gives himself form, and is as fundamentally vital to the balance of the universe as Death and other Abstracts.

Secondly, Thanos reverse-engineered Galactus' technology and used Annihilus' resources, as well as Galactus and Silver Surfer themselves, to discover the biological application of the Power Cosmic.

Thanos already knew the mechanics of the Power Cosmic even before capturing Galactus, and harnessed the parasitic nature of cosmic energy to turn Galactus into a superweapon that can destroy planets and harvest cosmic energy in the same manner as Galactus himself. Although, Galactus was crucial in its operation.

Additionally, he added fail-safes to the weapon to stop Annihilus (who had a lesser understanding of the Power Cosmic) from turning Galactus into a multi-dimensional bomb.

From a purely external and scientific perspective, Iron Man describes the Power Cosmic as space-time melded into a singular energy, allowing for basically everything (including dimensional travel and matter manipulation), with Annihilus claiming that 'binds all things' in Earth-616. In an earlier comic, he also claimed that it defies physics.

Upon immersing himself in cosmic energy, Iron Man gives up on scientific explanations, and later admits that he never truly understood it, suggesting that it's beyond the level he described. Cosmic energy also links his awareness to the cosmos and other dimensions.

So, being able to scientifically manipulate the Power Cosmic and even Galactus himself, let alone on this scale, would definitely qualify for 'creating impossibly advanced physics-defying and reality-warping fantasy technology for extremely diverse purposes.'

Last edited:
I am uncertain about scaling the power cosmic intelligence feats from what was revealed many years afterwards in stories by other writers.

In addition, Thanos does not seem to have a sufficient number of extremely versatile intelligence feats combined with a tier 2 or 1 scale for them, so I am still uneasy with anything beyond "At least Extraordinary Genius".

They describe it in a somewhat similar way in Annihilation, as you can see by the scans. And Galactus still showed in the past that he was a fundamental aspect of existence, while the power cosmic still had major reality warping stuff prior.

So, it's kind of irrelevant even if we just exclude Iron Man Vol 6 and The Ultimates.

That's also a terrible reason to exclude them, imo. The fact that something is revealed years later doesn't really invalidate it from happening in the past unless major retcons take place, and that hasn't happened here.

Who said anything about tier 1 or 2 feats? I've never seen that as a requirement before. In fact, some of the characters listed in the Supergenius section haven't done that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Hmm. It seems like we slightly lessened our requirements for Supergenius Intelligence.

Here are our current requirements:

"The highest level of non-omniscient intellect, possessed by individuals with unfathomably superhuman intelligence who are capable of creating impossibly advanced physics-defying and reality-warping fantasy technology for extremely diverse purposes.

Take note that for a Supergenius rating to be given based on technological prowess, the character in question should be able to essentially warp reality as they wish on an at least universal (3-A) scale with their inventions, or even use them to overpower tier 1 entities for higher cases. Simply defying the laws of physics with futuristic technology is very common for Extraordinary Geniuses as well."

Do any of Thanos' inventions reach an at least universal scale of influence combined with some of them being able to warp reality in extremely versatile ways?

I thought using the Power Cosmic on the same scale as Galactus (meaning a universal scale) and Annihilus' plan to turn Galactus into a multi-dimensional bomb would count. I guess not, then.

Well, if Annihilus would wipe out all life in the universe by using Galactus as a bomb, and Thanos has also warped reality in a very versatile manner with his inventions, that in combination would make him qualify for being a low-level Supergenius, but otherwise I think that "At least Extraordinary Genius" seems safer.

I'll just close this and reduce it, then.

If anyone has a better explanation, we can reopen this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back