• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Superman's strength

Is the Batman V Superman companion guide canon?

It says the DCEU Superman can crush diamond in his bare hands.

I'm assuming we're taking this as fact?

Book strength

So, do we need to update Superman's, Zod's, Wonder Woman's, and Doomsday's profiles based on the above information?

Okay. You can ask them for input if you wish.

Hm... two things.

Are we sure "crushing diamonds" is meant in the sense of doing so by pressure? Diamonds are very resistent to pressure and very vulnerable to impact. Like glass essentially.

So if he just hit them with the hand the result would be much lower.

That said material science isn't my forte and I'm not even sure if the bulk modulus of diamond that is used here for compressive strength (it seems) gives correct results or if for not uniform pressure more things need to be considered.

The other thing I am not sure about is the scaling idea used. The argument is that superman can cause x times the pressure a human can, so he should also be able to, in total, produce and withstand x times the force. Or in other words that someone with a firm handshake can lift a lot.

I'm more curious with the Tectonic Plate feat. It's undeniably something that happened in the movie continuity, but Supes also got damaged by a nuke.

@Dont Talk

1. Yes we're talking about crushing diamonds due to pressure with Superman using his bare hands. It wouldn't be noteworthy if he could just "break" it with his hands since even a human can break diamonds if that person hits it with a hammer...which is not impressive or noteworthy at all.

Yes the value used in the calc 443Gpa is correct since that is the amount of force necessary to uniformly crush, deform, or compress a diamond inwardly which is what the guidebook says he can do which is "crush" diamonds.

Not to mention the formal definition of crush is "to deform, pulverize, or force inwards by compressing forcefully"

https://www.google.com/search?q=cru...0..0.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..6.0.0.rHnzSmMPI7M

2. Yes, for the scaling cvdebater666's calc is relating crushing strength to lifting strength, since both actions (crush and lift) is a certain amount of force being created/exerted by someone's own natural physical strength. They are both measurements that relates a human man's ability to produce a certain amount of force to complete a task whether it;s crushing or lifting an object. And yes, it's true that if Superman can produce x amount of force, then he can also withstand/endure x amount of force since Newton's Third Law, that for every action, there is an equal and opposite action.

@Matthew Schroeder for that I suggest you read cvdebater666's explanation in the link provided. Where he/she explains why the nuke damaged him in the first place, saying the ionizing radiation caused his cells to weaken enough to the point where the nuke can damage him.

He calcs the force while our AP scale is about energy so their 0 point on even reading this.(yes there are impressive numbers there but we can't translate them into energy)

I think this World Engine feat was calced at NF to be around Large Town level.

Note: I haven't read the entire thing just a small glance.

@Kkapoios

I believe you should read all of it to get a full idea on Superman's durability. We all know that he can take a tremendous amount of blunt force trauma without bleeing, getting a single bruise, or cut. No sign of damage at all.

I have a good idea of Superman's power and is already listed as Small City level, but i will check it some time since you've put much effort into writting this.

Back