• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggestion: An optional field for the Standard Format for Character Profiles (Fighting Style)

The Standard Format has some optional fields, like Explanation, Note, Feats (or at least those a treated as optional). I would like to suggest adding another (explicitly) optional field to the format: Fighting Style. Fighting Style is often not considered in debates, which I believe is partly because no profile explains it, meaning that one needs to be quite familiar with the source material to know it.

But fighting style is actually quite important.

What use are the greatest abilities if the character employs a fighting style that doesn't use them properly? Yhwach for example has a Note on his profile, which could basically be translated to: "His fighting style doesn't make use of a bunch of abilities he has".

Other examples of fighting style being relevant would be that many characters will in character not blitz their opponents even if they could or some characters are slow starters that due to various things, like curiosity or a fair fight, will not instantly finish off the opponent even if they could, but instead wait for it to show its full potential.

But it isn't just such examples of bad fighting style that are noteworthy. Some characters also employ particularly clever fighting styles like abusing range advantages or using their strongest attacks first.

So the Fighting Style field, as I want to suggest it, should enable a reader of the profiles to design a justified scenario of how the fight between two characters will play out, beyond just stat comparision and ability match up. Ideally it should for that answer questions like:

-What will be the first moves against an unknown opponent?

-Which abilities will the character default to?

-Which abilities will the character likely use should he notice his standard strategy doesn't work due to certain reasons?

-Which abilities does it use rarely and is hence unlikely to use?

-Which strategies does the character employ? (e.g. Does it try to go into close combat or stay at a range? Does it conserve its strength or go all out from the start?)

And so on and so forth.

Now this field should certainly be optional and not just because applying it as obligatory part of the profiles would be way too much work for a little over 11000 character profiles.

For many characters one can not really do such an analyzes. For example for species / average agents of groups such things depend on the individual.

Many characters would also not have been in many fights in which they could show their style, either due to their opponent largely taking control or due to fighting under special conditions. For example Touhou Characters always fight with the Spell Card Rules restricting their use of hax, so for them one can largely not tell which fighting style they would have without those.

So this field would be only useful for characters for which one can write something meaningful in it, but encouraging people to write such a thing if applicable is something I think is a good idea.

What do you guys think?

While I do think that character is quite important, adding a new category may prove impossible.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
While I do think that character is quite important, adding a new category may prove impossible.
Why impossible? I mean if we would have to add it to all profiles it would be impossible, due to way too many profiles, but as long as it is optional we don't have to add it to anything except the Standard Format Page.

I would definitely support this if it could be implemented properly.

Sadly, with as many character profiles as we have, that's going to be tough job.

Back