• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggested Adjustment to the Warning Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGrath

Top Tiering Advisor in Liyue
She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
This is a (hopefully) small matter that has recently been on my mind, and which I would like to get out of the way sooner rather than later.

Currently, on the Warning Tracker, we list acts of hostility or poor conduct in discussions (or similar offenses) as 'Incisive behaviour'. I don't know when this pattern started, but I have kept the pattern up in the times I have updated the Warning Tracker myself, as I was one of the proponents of ensuring formatting is kept consistent between offenses.

However, there's a small problem here, which is that the semantics make no sense. To quote some of the relevant definitions of 'Incisive':

(of a person or mental process) intelligently analytical and clear-thinking. (Google)
(of an action) quick and direct. (Google)
expressing an idea or opinion in a clear and direct way that shows good understanding of what is important (Cambridge Dictionary)
impressively direct and decisive (as in manner or presentation) (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
You use incisive to describe a person, their thoughts, or their speech when you approve of their ability to think and express their ideas clearly, briefly, and forcefully. (Collins Dictionary)
remarkably clear and direct; sharp; keen; acute (Dictionary.com)

I think my issue here is rather evident - 'Incisive behaviour' is not only a poor description of hostile conduct, it's a fairly explicitly complimentary term. To say someone acted 'incisively' is to say that they were astute, sharp-minded, intelligent and decisive. That's obviously not something someone would be warned for, hence why I was confused what the phrasing was trying to communicate when I first read it on the Warning Tracker. I only neglected to bring it up at the time because I was more concerned with other matters.

This is ultimately a small problem, but one that would be easier to address now than later. I doubt I am the only person who has been confused by this phrasing on the Warning Tracker, and I further doubt no one else will be confused by it in the future. To save our future selves from any misunderstandings, I would like to simply suggest blanketly replacing all instances of 'Incisive behaviour' in the Warning Tracker with 'Disruptive behaviour'. If a few staff members can agree to this change, I would happily handle it myself.

Yeah, I had similar thoughts before, but I didn't consider it a significant issue to address. I thought it would be clear in its context, but I don't mind the suggested modification being proposed. It essentially would clear any possible misunderstanding.

I will ask our system manager about handling this. 🙏

I will ask our system manager about handling this. 🙏
Contacting the system manager shouldn't be necessary. All it is is a small change we can make to one of our existing threads. At this point, there's enough affirmation for it that I intend to handle it myself soon.

Oh. You are referring to our warning tracker discussion thread, not our warning system feature. My apologies for the misunderstanding. 🙏

If there are no contentions, then I believe there has been enough agreement to justify making this change. I will attend to it shortly.

EDIT: I have updated the Warning Tracker accordingly. As the topic is resolved, I will now be closing this.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for helping to make improvements to our community. 🙂🙏❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back