• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Subsonic Garnet?

Garnet from Steven Universe is currently listed as Massively Hypersonic based on deflecting a bolt of lightning. However we have a calculation for almost the same feat putting Uncle Iroh of ATLA at subsonic. Said calculation is accepted and can be found here.

Now Iroh's feat and Garnet's feat are virtually the same feat. In it we see:

-Natural lightning from a thunderstorm

-A 1 meter movement range(both move their hand from below waist level to above head level.

-Successful deflection of lightning

If this is indeed the case for consistencies sake we must downgrade Garnet to subsonic speed based on this calculation unless Garnet has other hypersonic feats. Now I have recalculated Iroh's speed as Mach 10 based on a 3,700 miles per second speed for lightning which would also indicate Garnet's speed can be scaled from this.

In conclusion:

-Garnet must be subsonic based on Iroh's feat(unless she has other hypersonic feats)

OR

-Iroh and Garnet must be hypersonic based on my recalculation.

Was it lightning from stormclouds, or from somebody close by?

Kkapoios said:
The problem with calculation is that you use a really high number for lightning speed.

I concur- There is a huge difference in speeds relative to the speed of lightning used. The point of this thread is to establish a consistent speed for ligtning and as such a consistent accepted speed for these 2 characters who have an almost identical speed feat.

Hmm. I have had doubts about this matter myself previously. It might be an idea to create a "Lightning timing" page with a copy of the above linked calculation as a new wiki policy, so that people can change the character speeds that have been estimated this way. However, I will wait to see what the rest of the staff think about it?

I agree that there needs to be a thread discussing the standard speed of lightning used and as such a benchmark from which we can evaluate various characters lightning reaction feats.

Well, we usually used 4.4×105 m/s for lightning, which seems to be in between what the OBD calculation used and what you used.

Now if it is about the fact that it is not Massively Hypersonic then that is correct, but that does not really have something to do with lightning dodging specifically. When it comes to feats of dodging/reacting to attacks one should only assume the the character is as fast as the attack if the distace between the origin of the attack and the character was small. On large distances a character just does not have to be as fast as the attack and a calculation for speed should be used (making an estimation for that belongs to the easiest type of calcs, so almost anyone should be able to do that).

For a feat like that in question I would get 220 m/s with 4.4×105 m/s for lightning btw. (Sub-Sonic+)

Do you wish to write an official wiki page about lightning dodging feats? I would appreciate it.

The feat entirely depends on how far both characters were from the clouds when the lightning bolt was shot. IIRC, Iroh had very large distance between himself and the clouds to move his arm, whereas Garnet did not.

Well, as he said, it depends on how far away the cloud or other source was placed.

Actually before anything is changed (and before I write an article) let me first look something up. I used the 2000m figure from the OBD article, but I want to first try to find a source on that just to be sure.

Ok, according to the wikipedia article on the clouds in questio they are typically between 200m and 4000m above the ground. So a better estimation would be good, but since that is usually not possible in case of clouds I would suggest taking the average 2100m as it seems to be a good estimation.

That changes the result for the feats to 209.5 m/s which is still Sub-sonic+

Well, it would probably be best if you used both the low and high points in the approximation (along with the average) if you write the page.

The Everlasting said:
The feat entirely depends on how far both characters were from the clouds when the lightning bolt was shot. IIRC, Iroh had very large distance between himself and the clouds to move his arm, whereas Garnet did not.

What do you mean? Is there any evidence that the clouds from the thunderstorm in Steven Universe are any closer than the clouds in ATLA. Both reacted to a lightning bolt from a thunderstorm at ground level.

Now that the question about the default speed of lightning used here has been answered it stands to reason that Garnet(and the rest of the Crystal Gems) should be downgraded to sub-sonic+ since their speeds are based on a lightning dodging feat from similar distances. Unless they have some other hypersonic feats I am unaware of.

WeeklyBattles said:
Not sure what speed this is, but there was the time where Peridot sent electricity down Amethyst's whip and Garnet blocked it it before it got to her, if that counts.

Yes that feat happened in a recent episode. However just as we assume laser are not light speed until demonstrated as such we can't assume the electricity is traveling at conduction speeds.

We will have to wait with downgrading character speeds until after DontTalk has written the relevant page in question.

Wait, I just remembered that the speed of Lapis' hydrokinesis was Mach 200 or so. So Garnet would not be downgraded in speed.

"Well, we usually used 4.4×105 m/s for lightning-"

Hold up.

...I just plugged that into some converters, and it gave me 984251.969 Miles per hour, or Mach 1282.799. ...if this is the standard speed we're supposed to be using for lightning, then a lot of lightning-timing characters are far faster than what we currently consider them as being.

As The Everlasting said, Lapis' hydrokinesis is already calced at mach 200, so things wouldn't really change. I'm also going to point out that the lightning was already on-screen when Garnet deflected it. Here is the video, and the feat in question is at 10:49. The lightning is already nearly touching Garnet's head when she deflects it, and the whole thing happens in a flash. That's far higher than sub-sonic.

The Everlasting said:
Wait, I just remembered that the speed of Lapis' hydrokinesis was Mach 200 or so. So Garnet would not be downgraded in speed.
Her hand that took Stephen up was calculated at Mach 200, not her fighting feats with the water clones.

@Eric Stormbringer

Not seeing why Lapis' water attacks wouldn't be that fast. Besides, as Azathoth said, the lightning was right next to Garnet when she casually deflected it.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
As The Everlasting said, Lapis' hydrokinesis is already calced at mach 200, so things wouldn't really change. I'm also going to point out that the lightning was already on-screen when Garnet deflected it. Here is the video, and the feat in question is at 10:49. The lightning is already nearly touching Garnet's head when she deflects it, and the whole thing happens in a flash. That's far higher than sub-sonic.
We also saw her look up before the lighning strike appeared on screen and the entire episaode is concerned with the mechanics of her pre-cog(Future Vision). Here we see Iroh's feat and the same thing happens. The lightning is already on the screen when Iroh starts moving. It really is almost the exact same feat-yet for some reason we are expected to believe Iroh's feat is sub-sonic but Garnet's is not. Im not buying it.

Except the lightning wasn't literally centimeters from Iroh's head.

I'd also like to point out that future vision would only help Garnet know the lightning was coming, not react to it once it had already nearly touched her.

@The Everlasting- Because we see characters not as fast(Steven) reacting to said clones attacks. Unless Steven now has massively hypersonic reactions for deflecting the waterball? (feat at 2:24 not sarcasm-this is a legitimate question and would be a massive upgrade for Steven-Connie etc)

Eric Stormbringer said:
@Azathoth
But it was literally a few feet away-a difference that is negligible for this calculation. So MHS Iroh confirmed?
The calc takes into account the lightning being cloud --> sea lightning, Iroh seeing it and beginning his movement then, and how little he moved.

Garnet deflected lightning when the lightning was already nearly touching her head, she was standing on an elevated area, and she wasn't looking at it.

Except

-We see Iroh does not begin his movement until the lightning is a few feet away from him.

-Iroh himself does not have pre-cog.

-Garnet was definitely was looking at it. See said video.

The Iroh lightning timing feat is usually considered an outlier.

To be clear I am not trying to downplay Garnet's feat. I am trying to establish a consistent benchmark here and once that is done to see it equally applied regardless of our opinions of said fictions.

Back