• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sub Zero vs Geralt of Rivia - Grim Up North

If he's dealt with the same kind of concept before then sure I suppose, at least that means he'll be more cautious with it.

He will, he was frozen solid many times in the series against ice users, he'll be pretty cautious. He ain't some typical Redanian cannon fodder that will try to brawl through anything that comes at him.

I'll note that Geralt has several ranged options himself (and seeing how dangerous Sub-Zero is, he'll keep distance like it's an epidemic) while most of Sub-Zero's will be nullified by Quen. And Quen lolnopes ice.

I'm sure it freezes through just about any contact, I thought there was a clip of Scorpion striking it in there somewhere but I could be mistaken.

Meh, might be game mechanics or something, but knowledgeables about Mortal Kombat will know more about that. Geralt has some resistance to ice but it's more about his organism functioning while he's frozen.

Meh, might be game mechanics or something, but knowledgeables about Mortal Kombat will know more about that. Geralt has some resistance to ice but it's more about his organism functioning while he's frozen.
I can't really think of any real example of Sub Zero using it in the story because the fights are controlled by the player, even going as far back as Deadly Alliance.

Yeah but not only it took some time but he also touched parts of their body so it's a difference. So it's weaker in lore from what I can deduce.

Yeah but not only it took some time but he also touched parts of their body so it's a difference. So it's weaker in lore from what I can deduce.
I mean tbf Sub probably just grabbed their heads cause smashing a brain in is a very fast way to end someone not to mention the way he countered left them open, Sub doesn't mess around that's as clear as ice lol

Can say this is an interesting vs set up! Let's do a short breakdown on the two combatants.

• Really Sub-Zero is an extremely deadly foe considering his ice powers in combination with his martial arts. He's very much specialized with his cryomancy which can freeze people solid, teleport, countless defensive moves along create all sorts of things from hazards to weapons. Despite appearances, he is also very strong considering he can rip off limbs and tear out organs. Really he's a very deadly fighter who has mastered his unique fighting style and magic.

• Geralt meanwhile has a wide variety of abilities and tools on his side. He no doubt is the better weapons fighter considering he's spent his whole life training in the difficult style of the Witcher. While unarmed he doesn't have a particular style, he's a capable boxer who has been able to beat a bear and rock troll through his raw speed and strength alone. While his Signs aren't strong in terms of magical might, it's the flexibility and speed in their use since they can be defensive and offensive. Then there is his weapons which range from the crossbow, bombs and his potions which push his already enhanced body to greater limits.

So in this case we have a very specialized magical martial artists against a highly experienced and adaptive magical swordsman/monster hunter. In the set up of the battle, Geralt does have the disadvantage since he doesn't know Sub-Zero's capabilities at the start. However even in situations against an unknown foe, Geralt has proven to be very adaptive and observant. Sub-Zero would have to go for a very lethal attack if he hopes to take advantage of Geralt's lack of knowledge. The longer the fight goes the more it will lean to Geralt's favor as he'll quickly understand how dangerous Sub-Zero is up close. He'll no doubt rely on Igni and Quen to counter Sub-Zero's cryomancy at both range and distance. We have to remember that Geralt has fought the Wild Hunt who love using ice magic. While Sub-Zero's is far more directly combative, Geralt would already know the best counters for it. Even abilities such as decoys and teleporting are things Geralt has faced before, be it from monsters or magic users from his world. Really it would all come down to the close combat fighting which can easily go either way. Melee range they are about equal if Sub-Zero creates frost weapons, but I doubt they can withstand against Witcher blades for too long. His unarmed blows would be devastating, but Geralt is no slouch when it comes to taking hits considering the things he has fought.

I feel Geralt will win this out through the variety of tools and abilities he has. That isn't even including his potions which can heal, protect or even empower him. Sub-Zero be an insanely deadly foe and he's make Geralt fight tooth and nail to win. But unless he takes the Witcher down early, the fight is going to quickly lean in Geralt's favor.

My vote for Geralt.

Grappling, projectiles and ice clones. Geralt being able to resist temps like that is nice and all, but reallllly doubt that's better than -500 degrees F ngl lol

Well, no idea why it's AZ but anyways

Quen takes care of projectiles and Geralt won't allow himself to be grabbed easily, especially when he relies on agility much

Its stated to be AZ as iirc its from the manual of Sub Zero Myth which featured Sub Zero's elder Brother, SZ scales to that hence why.

Bump

Iirc Sub has AZ on his side which should say nope to Geralt's barrier, Geralt has better skill and versatility on his side it seems

Back