• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Street Level: What Exactly Is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So, I was thinking about one of the iffiest levels on the wiki recently: street level. Now, there's no need to get all riled up about it just yet; I'm just sharing my thoughts on the matter. So, as it stands, Street Level's minimum requirement is 300 joules, which doesn't really fit the "must be superhuman" motif in the tiering list, but it definitely fits the rule of thumb that one must be able to cause collateral damage to achieve the level. At the minimum of 300 joules, these would be the following equivalents.:

1. A 60 kg person running at 3.1623 m/s (11.3842 kph or 7.0738 mph). When I was a kid, I used to have a Hot Wheels-brand radar gun that oddly worked just like a real radar gun. At my fastest, I was clocked in at 5 mph, and I got it back when it was advertised on TV (I believe 2004/2005; I was in my first home at the time). I was born in 1994, and being a 10-year-old who wasn't athletic yet can reach 5 mph, I can say 7 mph is a speed that I can achieve fairly casually nowadays.

2. A punch with a force of 96.35 lbs (43.7 kg). Note, this is assuming a punch distance of 0.7 meters. Assuming 60 kg for a human and 5.7% for the mass of an arm, 300 joules would equate to an arm of 3.42 kg going at about 13.25 m/s. This is all assuming no shift in body weight (which would drastically change this figure). For the sake of providing an example, I recorded myself on video punching, and I clocked myself at 142 joules with a half-body shift (my fist only went 3.31 m/s and went 1.225 meters from the shift). I am pacifistic, so I'm certain someone more aggressive with my weight (52 kg) can punch better than I can.

3. Lifting 17.4549 kg (38.4815 lbs) over your head. This isn't exactly superhuman, in fact, there are dog food bags that weigh 55 lbs, and people buy dog food bags all the time. This is also nearly the weight of 2 24-packs of Coca Cola (assuming 8.9 kg per 24-pack). Note that the bolded figure assumes a height of 5'9", or 1.7526 meters for the average human.

4. A 60 kg person falling at 3.1623 m/s (11.3842 kph or 7.0738 mph) (necessary for durability). If I did my math right, that should be a drop that's about 51 cm or a 0.32-second fall. A jump that's considered "average" to a male person would range from 41-50 cm, so this fall would be just a tiny bit above that arbitrary rating (since the jump test scores seem arbitrary).

Basically, what I'm trying to point out is Street Level isn't a superhuman thing; in fact, punching is about the only thing that isn't within normal human capabilities. You can very easily test out my third rating out by taping two 24-packs of soda together and lifting them over your head (or just lift a 40-lb dumbbell). Go on. Do it. If you successfully did that, congratulations! You're instantly street level!

But seriously, though, is being street level really a superhuman thing when it can easily be accomplished just by doing collateral damage (shattering windows, breaking bricks with a hammer) or feats of athleticism (ex. bat swings, golf club swings, high-jumping at the Olympics, etc)? Or heck, just carrying a huge bag of dog food for your pet?

Again, no need to get riled up over it jsut yet; I'm just sayin'.

Antvasima said:
Street level's upper border is considered superhuman, not the lower border.
True, though while the tier list does specifically state "Peak Humans to Low Superhuman," the things I have bolded here are well within average or athletic human capabilities. Again, two 24-packs of soda over the head.

That is a good point. You should ask DontTalkDT to comment here. We might have to redefine the border. It would affect a lot of our The Real World profiles though.

Street level is mostly peakhuman stuff; though higher up is more Superhuman. Also, potential energy calcs aren't for lifting objects, but throwing/launching them at great distances.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Street level is mostly peakhuman stuff; though higher up is more Superhuman. Also, potential energy calcs aren't for lifting objects, but throwing/launching them at great distances.
I think you misrepresented potential energy a bit. If we're throwing something, then yeah, kinetic energy would definitely apply. However, you kinda forgot that there are two different formulas for energy.:

1. E=1/2(m*v┬▓)

2. E=F*d

If we're lifting something, then we're using force. Like, say, we're moving a 20 kg bag upwards 2 meters. Force=mass*acceleration, and since the acceleration of gravity on EArth is 9.80665 m/s┬▓, a 20 kg bag of sand would exert 196.133 newtons of downward force (the force acting against you when lifting something). Move that thing two meters upwards and we get 392.266 joules.

Actually, we has a discussion on another thread. Character an object up the stairs or over your head doesn't require potential energy on that level since the bag was never technically "That far off the ground, if the person's hand counts as ground. Throwing a bag two meters high would be a different story.

Throwing an object is both PE and KE. The difference is one is a baseline for the other while the other could be higher with speed giving it even more influence.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Actually, we has a discussion on another thread. Character an object up the stairs or over your head doesn't require potential energy on that level since the bag was never technically "That far off the ground, if the person's hand counts as ground. Throwing a bag two meters high would be a different story.
Again, throwing objects (which is motion) isn't a potential energy thing: it's a kinetic energy thing.

In either case, we're still dealing with 196.133 newtons against us, and again, we're holding a bag of sand two meters off the ground (which is more noticeable than you're making it out to be). I checked the math with the gravitational potential energy formula (E=mgh) and got the same results : 392.266 joules.

Edit: Okay, was late to that party, but my point stands.

Well, I am the wrong person to ask about this. DontTalkDT is usually very reliable though.

It's based off the term "Street level characters" which fall into that tier perfectly. We could make an exception like we do for 9-A and make it Street level/Peak Human level, like how 9-A is Room level/Small Building level.

We could make an exception like we do for 9-A and make 9-C Street level/Peak Human level, like how 9-A is Room level/Small Building level.

Best solution.

Street level is a literal term, we didn't coin it. It refers to like peak human characters in action movies. Everyone knows that except people that take names too literally or newcomers.

We actually got rid of the alternate names a while back; we don't use Room level anymore; same as Large City level or Small Island level. Street level isn't destroying an entire street. Especially since destroying all of Route 66 would probably be more like Tier 6. Sera said "Street level" is based on Marvel/DC's definition of Peak Human is "Street levelers." Or the Real World's strongest Street fighters.

And if we're going by destruction values, Street level is more accurately described as someone who can crack solid concrete rather than destroying an entire street. Similar to how Wall level is punching through a wall rather than destroying an entire wall; especially is destroying the entirety of The Great Wall of China would definitely be much higher than that.

I was legit confused for the longest time that wall level was higher than street level because I've broken walls before but can't destroy asphalt or something, lol.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
We're talking about real walls; obviously a wet paper wall is nothing; but thick brick walls or steel plated walls. Punching through them is Wall level.
I dunno; bricks are kinda screwy. I checked when doing a calc for someone who pulled part of a brick wall out and the fragmentation value (shear strength) of bricks ranged from 0.45 to 11.3 MPa (J/cc).

Flashlight237 said:
DarkDragonMedeus said:
We're talking about real walls; obviously a wet paper wall is nothing; but thick brick walls or steel plated walls. Punching through them is Wall level.
I dunno; bricks are kinda screwy. I checked when doing a calc for someone who pulled part of a brick wall out and the fragmentation value (shear strength) of bricks ranged from 0.45 to 11.3 MPa (J/cc).
Most likely that wall wasn't cemented right. Besides, most walls are now made of reinforced concrete nowadays.

KLOL506 said:
Flashlight237 said:
DarkDragonMedeus said:
Most likely that wall wasn't cemented right. Besides, most walls are now made of reinforced concrete nowadays.
And somtimes steel

Edwardtruong2006 said:
IIRC, 300 joules was chosen because any higher would make most handguns 10-A
I mean guns all hit above their joule paygrade anyway so that shouldn't be the determining factor.

There was some super tiny pistol that only has about 4x the joules output of a paintball gun, iirc.

Nah, Kolibri pistol or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back