• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Starship Troopers rewrite thingy

Is this stuff all part of the same canon? Cause iirc the movies are a separate canon from the books

Anyway generally I'm not sure about stuff like resistance to mind or bone manipulation since IIRC these guys aren't actually arachnids, just aliens that resemble them

Is this stuff all part of the same canon? Cause iirc the movies are a separate canon from the books
The scans are from the RPG game, which isn't really canon to the books iirc. The RPG uses info from starship troopers 1 & 2 and the roughnecks show so I guess it can be considered canon to some degree?

the RPG also uses the movie design instead of the weird metal bug design from the books, but im not sure if that matters
Anyway generally I'm not sure about stuff like resistance to mind or bone manipulation since IIRC these guys aren't actually arachnids, just aliens that resemble them
The arachnids are classified as arthropods and are related to other 'terran' arthropods like crustaceans and insects, so while they aren't actually arachnids, they exist under the same umbrella as them so I think the resistance to bone manipulation can stay. arachnids aren't really shown to have bones either iirc.

The resistance to mind manipulation is kinda ehh which is why I put a 'possibly'

The scans are from the RPG game, which isn't really canon to the books iirc. The RPG uses info from starship troopers 1 & 2 and the roughnecks show so I guess it can be considered canon to some degree?

the RPG also uses the movie design instead of the weird metal bug design from the books, but im not sure if that matters
probably fine then
The arachnids are classified as arthropods and are related to other 'terran' arthropods like crustaceans and insects, so while they aren't actually arachnids, they exist under the same umbrella as them so I think the resistance to bone manipulation can stay. arachnids aren't really shown to have bones either iirc.
Ah, should be fine
The resistance to mind manipulation is kinda ehh which is why I put a 'possibly'
pretty iffy on it too

Brain Bug's striking strength should be "At least Street level" instead of "At least Wall level". And unless it has feats for it, the durability should be "Unknown, possibly Wall level via size", as the Brain Bug does not physically scale to other Bugs, due to not being built for physical combat. While it has a Street level feat with the skull piercing attack, that doesn't necessarily mean its whole body is equally durable to the part doing the piercing. Arthropods (and animals in general) are known for having parts of their body that are tougher than other parts, so this makes sense. And the Brain Bug's main body doesn't exactly look tough or armored to me. It's better to leave it as "unknown" if no durability feats for the rest of the body are available.

Other than that, the only issue I can see right now is on the TAC Nuke page: it should be "Its explosion", not "It's explosion". Everything else looks reasonable so I agree with the changes.

Last edited:
Brain Bug's striking strength should be "At least Street level" instead of "At least Wall level". And unless it has feats for it, the durability should be "Unknown, possibly Wall level via size", as the Brain Bug does not physically scale to other Bugs, due to not being built for physical combat. While it has a Street level feat with the skull piercing attack, that doesn't necessarily mean its whole body is equally durable to the part doing the piercing. Arthropods (and animals in general) are known for having parts of their body that are tougher than other parts, so this makes sense. And the Brain Bug's main body doesn't exactly look tough or armored to me. It's better to leave it as "unknown" if no durability feats for the rest of the body are available.

Other than that, the only issue I can see right now is on the TAC Nuke page: it should be "Its explosion", not "It's explosion". Everything else looks reasonable so I agree with the changes.
Understandable

The book is 100% different from the movies. Power Armor for example existed since the very beginning in the books and the movies didn't until like the fourth one.

Roughnecks combined aspects of both the novel and movies and is generally its own thing.

The novel has a power Armor nuke blaster in Chapter 1.

Ah I did remember right. The novel actual features a nuclear weapon in Chapter 1
And did so myself, hopping over the next row of buildings, and, while I was in the air, fanning the first row by the river front with a hand flamer. They seemed to be wood construction and it looked like time to start a good fire — with luck, some of those warehouses would house oil products, or even explosives. As I hit, the Y-rack on my shoulders launched two small H. E. bombs a couple of hundred yards each way to my right and left flanks but I never saw what they did as just then my first rocket hit — that unmistakable (if you’ve ever seen one) brilliance of an atomic explosion. It was just a peewee, of course, less than two kilotons nominal yield, with tamper and implosion squeeze to produce results from a less-than-critical mass — but then who wants to be bunk mates with a cosmic catastrophe? It was enough to clean off that hilltop and make everybody in the city take shelter against fallout. Better still, any of the local yokels who happened to be outdoors and looking that way wouldn’t be seeing anything else for a couple of hours — meaning me . The dash hadn’t dazzled me, nor would it dazzle any of us; our face bowls are heavily leaded, we wear snoopers over our eyes — and we’re trained to duck and take it on the armor if we do happen to be looking the wrong way.
There's also this statement
I do have one comment to make to any armchair strategist who has never made a drop. Yes, I agree that the Bugs’ planet possibly could have been plastered with H-bombs until it was surfaced with radioactive glass. But would that have won the war? The Bugs are not like us. The Pseudo-Arachnids aren’t even like spiders. They are arthropods who happen to look like a madman’s conception of a giant, intelligent spider, but their organization, psychological and economic, is more like that of ants or termites; they are communal entities, the ultimate dictatorship of the hive. Blasting the surface of their planet would have killed soldiers and workers; it would not have killed the brain caste and the queens — I doubt if anybody can be certain that even a direct hit with a burrowing H-rocket would kill a queen; we don’t know how far down they are. Nor am I anxious to find out; none of the boys who went down those holes came up again.

So suppose we did ruin the productive surface of Klendathu? They still would have ships and colonies and other planets, same as we have, and their HQ is still intact — so unless they surrender, the war isn’t over. We didn’t have nova bombs at that time; we couldn’t crack Klendathu open. If they absorbed the punishment and didn’t surrender, the war was still on.
So the novel's Nova Bombs seem like a Tier 6 or Tier 5 weapon.

Last edited:
Ah I did remember right. The novel actual features a nuclear weapon in Chapter 1

There's also this statement

So the novel's Nova Bombs seem like a Tier 6 or Tier 5 weapon.
Interesting

I would like to see your thoughts on the CRT, btw

Yeah the Nova Bombs seems to be closer to Tier 5 than Tier 6
The Navy doesn’t say this officially — but talk to a Naval officer who is on R & R and feeling his oats; you’ll get an earful. They think they can fight any war, win it, send a few of their own people down to hold the conquered planet until the Diplomatic Corps takes charge.

I admit that their newest toys can blow any planet right out of the sky — I’ve never seen it but I believe it. Maybe I’m as obsolete as Tyrannosaurus Rex . I don’t feel obsolete and us apes can do things that the fanciest ship cannot. If the government doesn’t want those things done, no doubt they’ll tell us.
Also we can calc the speed of the ships
Th Rodger Young carries one platoon and is crowded; the Tours carries six — and is roomy. She has the tubes to drop them all at once and enough spare room to carry twice that number and make a second drop. This would make her very crowded, with eating in shifts, hammocks in passageways and drop rooms, rationed water, inhale when your mate exhales, and get your elbow out of my eye! I’m glad they didn’t double up while I was in her.

But she has the speed and lift to deliver such crowded troops still in fighting condition to any point in Federation space and much of Bug space; under Cherenkov drive she cranks Mike 400 or better — say Sol to Capella, forty-six lightyears, in under six weeks.

I would like to see your thoughts on the CRT, btw

They're fine, but I feel like we should iron out how we tackle the canon differences or if we just yolo a composite thing.

The first link is dead, the second is 9-B, the third is 9-B and no building is shown to be destroyed in the last image
That is a bulldozer, not a tank
Small Building level (is bulletproof[1], comparable to attack potency)
The first scan is a 9-B statement, the second isn't evidence and is contradicted by your album in the AP section since a simple car destroyed its foot by going fast enough

The second link is age restricted
At least Class 1 (Can carry humans with relative ease. Can withstand it's weight of 550kg)
I thought withstanding weight no longer counted for lifting strength. Anyways I guess Class 1 is fine but idk.

Also I should mention that the second scan implies that they need two ratings. Since they take 7.2 seconds to reach their top speed.
At least Small Building level (Comparable to durability, seemingly stronger than tanker bugs[2])
This isn't a AP justification. Something can be more durable than strong and the tanker bugs don't have solid 9-A evidence
This is lacking a justification
At least Small Building level (Overseer Bugs are incredibly durable and are seemingly capable of taking morita's without it's carapace being damaged whatsoever[2] something that warrior bugs and tankers are seemingly unable to do)
Being bulletproof is only a 9-B feat without more evidence

The P&A section is fine for all of them. Though the Tac-Nuke needs more work for it.

I don't support a composite because the two versions are quite different.

The first link is dead, the second is 9-B, the third is 9-B and no building is shown to be destroyed in the last image
That is a bulldozer, not a tank
The first scan is a 9-B statement, the second isn't evidence and is contradicted by your album in the AP section since a simple car destroyed its foot by going fast enough
Fortunately I was able to find the wallbreaking/melting feat. I feel the tanker bugs tier can become something like 'At least 9-B, 9-A with fire breath' or 'At least 9-B, higher with fire breath'

I feel alot of the bugs feats can be calced, they might still be 9-B but at least we can get an exact number if you get what im saying.

Fair enough for the lifting strength, a bulldozer's weight varies a lot, so I guess a 'Class 10 possibly higher' could work?

This isn't a AP justification. Something can be more durable than strong and the tanker bugs don't have solid 9-A evidence
Being bulletproof is only a 9-B feat without more evidence
Morita's can damage the exoskeleton of a tanker bug and literally shred Warriors Bugs so I feel a 'At least Wall level likely far higher' should work, or smthn like that

The second link is age restricted
here is the feat I was more so focusing on

This is lacking a justification

That was something I forgot to change when pasting the profile to my sandbox lol, I think an 'Unknown; possibly Class 1' should work, if we want to scale them to the warriors

A composite for the arachnids? if so I definitely agree to not mix the book arachnids with the movie arachnids
Composite for either, the book and movie are clearly different canons. It's best to separate them.

At least 9-B, higher with fire breath'
Yeah that's fine
Fair enough for the lifting strength, a bulldozer's weight varies a lot, so I guess a 'Class 10 possibly higher' could work
Its still likely class 100 based on how thick the bulldozer is. I just wanted to note that it wasn't a tank.

'At least Wall level likely far higher' should work, or smthn like
Yeah, I guess it works.

That was something I forgot to change when pasting the profile to my sandbox lol, I think an 'Unknown; possibly Class 1' should work, if we want to scale them to the warriors
Possibly Class 1 should be fine

Back