• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Splatoon Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, the Inklings are rated as Small City level+ and Subsonic for being able to defeat DJ Octavio and for being able to react to their own weapon projectiles. Octavio is rated at Small City level+ for using a Killer Wail weapon, which is scaled to Pearl's Killer Wail overpowering Tartar's beam, which was said to be capable of wiping out a city.

There's a few problems with this scaling, which I will adress before suggesting changes to the verse.

Firstly, Pearl's Killer Wail did indeed overpower a City level beam. There is nothing wrong with that feat. It is neither an outlier nor lacking context. What is lacking context is the scaling behind that feat.

Pearl's Killer Wail was massively amped by Pearl's own voice. Think of it like yelling through a megaphone, which the Killer Wail essentially is. In addition, Pearl's voice has been established in the series to be incredibly powerful. Even as a child she was capable of causing damage to venues just by singing loudly. What she's doing in this feat is essentially adding and amplifying her power to an already powerful weapon. It does not scale to a regular Killer Wail, and it definitely shouldn't be used to justify the rankings of a "smaller, slightly weaker Killer Wail".

The Subsonic statistic is a bit less erroneous. The projectiles of the weapons in Splatoon do move at subsonic speeds, and there are Inklings who can dodge these projectiles. However, there's some context behind that as well.

Inklings cannot dodge their own projectiles in the game itself, to my knowledge. They simply move too fast to dodge, even if a computer was playing the game. However, there are Inklings who can dodge these projectiles in the manga. The problem is that these Inklings are not "normal" by any standards. That first scan features a member of the S4, who are among the best teams in the entire world. That character in particular has his speed heavily emphasized even in reference to other members of his team. The other scan features a character who, at this point, had defeated multiple S4 teams, and even at this level of skill he struggled with dodging shots from the E-liter.

So, while there are Inklings who can avoid their own shots, they tend to be the Inkling equivalents of Olympians, and the average member of their race is definitely not that fast.

Now, as for my suggested changes.

1. Change the speed on the Inkling page to simply "Normal Human level, SuperHuman travel speed with the Super Jump". This will serve as a placeholder until additional calculations can be done. If the page serves as an overview of the species as a whole, add "At most Subsonic reactions (Elite Inkling teams are capable of dodging blasts from their weaponry, which have a muzzle velocity this high)"
  2. Remove the Small City level+ ranking from DJ Octavio and replace it with a Wall level+ ranking based on this calculatio of the energy behind his punches during his final boss fight. Since this scales to the Inklings as well, replace their Small City level+ ranking with the same statistic as DJ Octavio's ranking. The justification would remain the same, however.
  3. Remove the City level ranking for the Inkling's Special Weaponry, as the circumstances behind Pearl's feat renders its scaling to other Special Weapons null. If the page is a composite, change the statistic and justification to "Unknow, likely higher with Special Weaponry, though at most City level (A Killer Wail, when boosted by Pearl's voice, was capable of overpowering a beam from Tartar's canno)".
  4. If the Inkling page is not a composite, create pages for Pearl and the manga characters to reflect their feats.
Agree: 8 - Podonklos (Duh), Rin The Dragon Empress, GilgaArcuied, StrongClick, Starlight-Swimming, Botman69, RainbowDashSwagger, Sigurd Snake in the Eye

Disagree: 2 - WeeklyBattles, Jackythejack

All Killer Wails are amped by the voice of the Inkling using them, Pearl's is no different from the other Killer Wails used by the other Inklings

Al of the characters in the manga are capable of dodging the projectiles from their guns, the Inklings scale to them

2. Nothing is wrong with the DJ Octavio scaling, it was calced at Small City level+ backscaling from the Killer Wail

3. Nothing about Pearl's feat implies she's any stronger than other Inklings

4. Yes its composite

I did not say that Pearl's Killer Wail was made differently, I said that her voice is much stronger than a normal Inkling's. If Pearl's singing voice was just as powerful as a normal Inkling's singing voice, then her destroying a venue by singing wouldn't be a newsworthy event. In addition, during the Octo Expansion they say that Pearl specifically has to be the one to counter Tartar's beam, and even then she reacts like pulling this off would be difficult for her. Her being louder than normal is foreshadowed in the Scrolls and shown in the boss fight.

Not every character in the manga is capable of dodging projectiles from their weapons. There was a whole chapter about Team Blue training so that they could become fast enough to dodge projectiles, and this was after they had already become one of the best teams in the world.

Can you show the calculation? Either way, it would be flawed based on the fact that it isn't being powered by Pearl.

It being powered by Pearl's voice doesnt make it any stronger than other Killer Wails, nothing of the sort is ever stated or shown at any point throughout the game

Yes, so they scale to being able to dodge their projectiles

WeeklyBattles said:
Basically, in both Splatoon and Splatoon 2, the main boss of both games, DJ Octavio, absorbs all the power of the Great Zapfish to power his mech, with the Great Zapfish being the source of energy for the entirety of the city of Inkopolis
Okay, so this is what DJ Octavio's justification is, not what's on the page right now. So, in either case that needs to be updated.

But before we do that, this reasoning is flawed.

Octavio does not absorb all the power of the Great Zapfish, he was just using it as a power source. This is a very important distinction.

If we model Inkopolis as if it's Tokyo, which should be reasonable as that is the city it's implied to be, then Inkopolis would be using 207 megatons of TNT, which is actually 7-A, not Low 7-B.

The flaw in this logic is that this is the amount of energy Inkopolis uses per year. On a per second basis, Inkopolis is only using 6.5 tons of TNT/second. This is only High 8-C, far lower than his current listing.

But there are flaws even with that.

Octavio cannot be using 100% of the power of the Great Zapfish to be attacking. If he was, then the ship would also stop being lit, go silent, and drop out of the sky for the moments he's attacking you. Only a portion of the amount of energy the Great Zapfish produces will be going into his attacks, which is consistent with his punches being 9-B.

There is also no reason to assume that the mech is even capable of using 100% of the Great Zapfish's power in an attack. If I somehow able to power my car with a nuclear power plant, I would be able to cross the continent and back without ever worrying about stopping. But just because I have all this energy available to me doesn't mean I would be able to drive faster than the speed of sound or blow my horn so loudly the whole city hears it. My energy source is great, but my hardware is still a car.

Another comparison would be humans. A taco from Taco Bell will load you up with over 1,000,000 Joules, but this doesn't make you 9-B. There are still physical limits that can't be overcome, and we have no evidence to suggest DJ Octavio has.

Lastly, even if we assume Octavio is High 8-C, which is unsubstantiated, nothing suggests the Inklings scale. The only attack they overcome is his punch, which is only 9-B. His Killer Wail kills you if you're caught in it, and there's no evidence that the Inkling's Killer Wail is as powerful as Octavio's.

To summarize:

• The calculation for the Great Zapfish is wrong
  • Octavio cannot be using all of the Zapfish's power in his attacks
  • There is no evidence Octavio is capable of doing the above anyways
  • There is no evidence the Inklings scale to Octavio's Killer Wail
WeeklyBattles said:
It being powered by Pearl's voice doesnt make it any stronger than other Killer Wails, nothing of the sort is ever stated or shown at any point throughout the game
They explicitly state that it has to be Pearl's voice, they even have an attack name for it. There's also no reason for Pearl to be yelling into the Killer Wail, something that normally doesn't happen when the weapon is used, if her voice was not powering it.

Yes, so they scale to being able to dodge their projectiles
I agree. I asked for the statistic to be changed to "At most Subsonic reactions (Elite Inkling teams are capable of dodging blasts from their weaponry, which have a muzzle velocity this high)", I didn't ask for the ranking to be removed.

I agree with Podon, there's no scaling between Pearl and a normal Inkling, they need different pages.

Also is the manga even canon?

Pearl is going to get her own profile

The Inklings scale to her as there is no reason for them not to

Yes, it is

Also yes, the inklings do scale to his Killer Wail, they are able to withstand it for about a second before being splatted, i checked this myself

The Inkling's Killer Wail is notable larger and oneshots any inkling caught in it, yes it is stronger

WeeklyBattles said:
The Inklings scale to her as there is no reason for them not to
Pearl is explicitly the one who has to use the Killer Wail. Marina even references this as if it is an ultimate attack of theirs.

Pearl is shown to have a very powerful voice in the Sunken Scrolls, with it being strong enough to get in the news.

Pearl is shown to yell directly into her Killer Wail, something that does not happen when a normal Inkling uses the Killer Wail.

Lastly, the beam Pearl's Killer Wail produces is much larger than a normal Killer Wail's beam.

Peal killer wail size
Normal killer wail size

Everything shows Pearl's beam is stronger than normal.

WeeklyBattles said:
No, we scale weapons to their batteries regularly, the eggrobo (Sonic Lost World) notable user of this
Okay, but there is evidence that he does not scale for this verse. There is no reason to apply the mechanics of Sonic to the mechanics of Splatoon.

In addition, even if we do scale Octavio's mech to the Great Zapfish (which there is no evidence for), his ranking would still be lower than it currently is due to the above issues with his calculation.

Also, please avoid triple posting.

The Killer Wail is the ultimate attack of any Inkling, its literally called a Super Weapon for this reason

Podonklos said:
Okay, but there is evidence that he does not scale for this verse. There is no reason to apply the mechanics of Sonic to the mechanics of Splatoon.
We apply it to all verses, it is a wiki standard. Its not a sonic mechanic its a general rule that is applied to all verses.

WeeklyBattles said:
The Inkling's Killer Wail is notable larger and oneshots any inkling caught in it, yes it is stronger
Yeah, and Pearl's Killer Wail is notably larger than the normal ones. It is stronger.

WeeklyBattles said:
The Killer Wail is the ultimate attack of any Inkling, its literally called a Super Weapon for this reason
And Pearl's version of the Killer Wail is "more ultimate" than a normal Inkling's. The beam is larger, her voice is shown to be unusually strong, and she yells into the megaphone unlike a normal attack.

On the other hand, there is no evidence that Pearl's Killer Wail is as weak as a normal Killer Wail.

WeeklyBattles said:
We apply it to all verses, it is a wiki standard. Its not a sonic mechanic its a general rule that is applied to all verses.
And there is evidence that it does not apply to this verse. Cinematic timing is also a general rule, but if there is evidence against it that should not be ignored.

What also shouldn't be ignored is that even if we scale Octavio's mech to the Great Zapfish he still needs a revision due to flaws with the calculation.

I like to stick with comics, so Splatoon isn't my forte, but @Podonklos seems to be reasonable here.

If the calculations show Octavio is at least 9-B and at most High 8-C, then that is what the math shows. Sometimes things need to be taken on a case by case basis.

It's also fairly clear that Pearl's Killer Wail is stronger than a regular one looking just at the images provided and the added context.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Starlight The calculations put Octavio at Low 7-B
As I have mentioned before in this thread, there are flaws with that calculation. If you still believe Octavio is 7-B, please address those points instead of just repeating the claim.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Pod Where is there cinematic timing in this feat?
You misread the sentence.

I said that if a feat has evidence against cinematic timing, then we should not assume it, even if the assumption is standard otherwise. In DJ Octavio's case, it may be standard to scale a mech to its battery, but there is evidence against that here.

I agree with this thread wholeheartedly. This needed to be said as it is definitely the most consistent tier for Inklings. Not only that but the contradictions with things such as DJ Octavio's Mech and Pearl's Killer Wail are right on the money.

Starlight-Swimming said:
@WeeklyBattles

A calculation put DJ Octavio at 7-B, but that calculation has scientific errors in it discussed in this post, which puts him at at most High 8-C.
The elwcteixity tonpower a city is bare minimum 8-A so i have no idea where tf youre getting High 8-C from

Bobsican said:
At least a boo-yaa still almost solos RWBY
So, can I assume you agree with the proposed changes?

WeeklyBattles said:
The elwcteixity tonpower a city is bare minimum 8-A so i have no idea where tf youre getting High 8-C from
Well, I'm getting High 8-C from the amount of power per second.

The Great Zapfish does produce Tier 7 amounts of energy, but that is over a period of weeks, not the mere seconds involved during DJ Octavio's attacks.

Well, TBH, I´m not voting yet, as this appears to be based on which standard to be taken or stuff like that.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Pod Why are you using energy per second? We use the total amount of energy no energy per second.
I'm using energy per second because the latter is physically impossible.

Tokyo uses 240,782.78 GWh of energy, which is Tier 7, but that is on a per year basis. For reference, in order to reach just Low 7-C DJ Octavio would have to spend nearly two and a half minutes charging his Killer Wail while doing absolutely nothing else. Tier 7 DJ Octavio isn't an issue with how we interpret feats, it's an issue with the math in the calculation.

City level is what they're being downgraded from.

Since you are here now perhaps we can see your debunk you were talking about but were busy earlier?

Ive already debunked it, there is no evidence whatsoever that Pearl's Killer Wail is in any way stronger than a normal one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back