• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Speed Equalization Question: Does It Apply To Hax?

Pretty much the title, and am making this real quick for some clarification on the standards.

Now from what I've always remembered it here, speed equalization equalizes the reaction, travel, combat and attack speed of both combatants in a matchup, so that one is lowered to or raised to the speed level of the other combatant for said match. So if Character A is MFTL and Character B is only Relativistic, speed equalization makes it so Character A is Relativistc or Character B is MFTL. That much is obviously fine and understandable.

However, what I want to question here is whether or not the speed of hax abilities applies under the standard, as I've never seen speed equalization go for anything outside of the speed of the characters themselves. So like, if Character C fights Character D, and Character C is MHS+ but has a hax ability that can reach MFTL+, would speed equalization make Character D equal both speeds of Character C and their ability? Or is the ability itself remaining unequalized?

Everything is equalized by the same multiplier, as the multiplier combat speed was equalized with.

Everything is equalized by the same multiplier, as the multiplier combat speed was equalized with.
I was recently told also that a thread was made and accepted to change this.

And I want to question why are they all equalized by the same multiplier? If a hax ability operates at a certain set speed uniquely independent from the user, then why would the hax apply under this?

I was recently told also that a thread was made and accepted to change this.

And I want to question why are they all equalized by the same multiplier? If a hax ability operates at a certain set speed uniquely independent from the user, then why would the hax apply under this?
I haven't seen a thread to change it and it clearly wasn't applied. If you can find the thread it was debated I would be thankful for a link.

If you want a really detailed answer you can read this thread, as that is where the current rules were decided.

To explain one of the big reasons: We want that characters fight as much like they usually do as possible, even in speed equal.
Imagine for example a character has a hax or, in general, an attack that is as fast as they themselves run before equalization. If so, they would probably use that mostly in close combat as from 100m distance the attack would be extremely easily dodged by an opponent of comparable speed.
What would happen if we were to equalize that character to a speed 1000x slower than they priorly were but leave that attack at the same speed?
Well, on one hand he would probably use it much more since it's now much faster relative to an opponent of the same speed than before. On the other hand, he would also start using it from a range, since now it would be fast enough to hit opponents from such range.
So now we have a character that in some fashion fights completely different than their original and, in some sense, also has a different power set. We basically turned a javelin into a gun.
If we equalize speed like we usually do, though, the technique would still be as fast as he is after equalization, he would still use it only in close combat and to the same amount as before and, in general, fight exactly like he would fight against a character that is as fast as he is. The end result reflects the character better.

Back