• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Space Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should just make a space survival page. The ability is reasonably common and since the circumstances are not obvious to many people having a page that explains it properly could help.
Considering Underwater breathing is a page, Space Survival sounds legit.
What is the difference between that and self-sustenance type 1? Seems to me a redundant addition, except if there are clear objective, distinct practicalities.
Self-sustenance type 1 is about being able to survive without needing to breathe. That would be one part of space survival, but not the whole thing.

In addition to that it would include:
  1. A resistance to low pressure environments (near vacuums). For a normal human the fluids on the bodies surface would boil away and various things would probably rupture. Your lungs would probably take damage and stuff.
  2. A resistance to cold (if the character travels through deep space for long). This in particular requires some explanation. Many people think it would be high level cold resistance as deep space is close to absolute zero. However, due to the lack of heat transfer via conduction and convection, the actual heat loss is rather minor. Hence the cold resistance in turn is very minor (and could be achieved through various means, like the body producing slightly more body heat than that of a normal person). It is minor enough that most fictional cold attacks would easily overcome it. Putting explanations regarding that on a single page that everyone then links is easier than enforcing that every profile, which lists cold resistance for space reasons, gives the appropriate explanation on the profile.
  3. Probably resistance to space radiation?
I've been asked to provide input here.

I quite like DT's suggestion of Space Survival being added as an ability. Surviving without any kind of support in space is a common power in fiction, yet it entails a lot of independent things simultaneously. DT elaborated on this point earlier, but a person who was capable of surviving for an extended period in space would have to account for factors like being able to survive in a low-pressure environment, large temperature variance, and radiation. Rather than splitting up all the factors that surviving in space entails into a wide range of abilities for every relevant profile, having one page for the general ability to survive in space would be quite handy.
I think that this would be a useful and uncontroversial addition to our wiki. Is somebody here willing to create a draft for this new powers and abilities page for us?

I would say that if the character isn't in space long enough to succumb to low temperatures as they would in real life, there needs to be a depiction of icing/cold being felt (see Magic School Bus and Iron Man depiction)

If not then, I lean towards removing Cold Resist.

I would say that if the character isn't in space long enough to succumb to low temperatures as they would in real life, there needs to be a depiction of icing/cold being felt (see Magic School Bus and Iron Man depiction)

If not then, I lean towards removing Cold Resist.
How you do feel about DontTalk’s proposal for space survival page?
Self-sustenance type 1 is about being able to survive without needing to breathe. That would be one part of space survival, but not the whole thing.

In addition to that it would include:
  1. A resistance to low pressure environments (near vacuums). For a normal human the fluids on the bodies surface would boil away and various things would probably rupture. Your lungs would probably take damage and stuff.
  2. A resistance to cold (if the character travels through deep space for long). This in particular requires some explanation. Many people think it would be high level cold resistance as deep space is close to absolute zero. However, due to the lack of heat transfer via conduction and convection, the actual heat loss is rather minor. Hence the cold resistance in turn is very minor (and could be achieved through various means, like the body producing slightly more body heat than that of a normal person). It is minor enough that most fictional cold attacks would easily overcome it. Putting explanations regarding that on a single page that everyone then links is easier than enforcing that every profile, which lists cold resistance for space reasons, gives the appropriate explanation on the profile.
  3. Probably resistance to space radiation?

@Antvasima @DontTalkDT @Hypertornado099 Late, but I finally got around to doing this. Is this draft acceptable?
I think so, yes.
This article I mentioned in the OP could be added as a reference for the last sentence, though I'm not sure if we have ever used references in a P&A page
The guy who made it is an astrophysicist and the chief scientist of a research center and museum at Ohio. Is that enough to prove he's reliable enough? If not, then I guess we can't add any references unless a staff member has something else
I think that this also seems fine.

The guy who made it is an astrophysicist and the chief scientist of a research center and museum at Ohio. Is that enough to prove he's reliable enough? If not, then I guess we can't add any references unless a staff member has something else
Okay, I suppose it's fine then, as then it fulfils a subject-matter expert exception to the general rule.
I think so, yes.

I think that this also seems fine.
I made the page. This thread can be closed now.

Thank you to everybody who helped out here. 🙏🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back