• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sonic The Hedgehog: The lean mean Spin Dashing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, everybody. The Spin Dash was accepted as an amp due to Sonic Prime, and I've made a calc for it.

The Amp​

54.744x. Thank you, Sonic Prime.

Why The Boost Should Scale​

The Boost technique is noted numerous times be a "burst" of speed (burst in this context being a short and violent outbreak), and is flat-out stated to be a boost of speed in Generations

Classic Sonic was impressed by the boost technique after seeing Modern Sonic's display of it. In another instance, Sonic deemed it necessary to Boost after being told to hurry to Tails' location and reach him ASAP as opposed to the Spin Dash.

Thanks to @ShakeResounding for formatting/writing the OP for me. If it weren't for him, things would look a lot more messy. In summary, we just want Spin Dash to be noted as the blogged increase at the beginning of the OP. In addition, we believe Boost should upscale from that multiplier (unquantifiably of course) as it has made Sonic's Spin Dash obsolete in Modern games (It is the faster method of transportation in games where Sonic can do both). This multiplier should also apply to Drop Dash which is just an aerial Spin Dash, and Super-Peel Out. A move verbatim stated to be faster than the Spin Dash.

Agree: 12 (@Oliver_de_jesus, @MysticMania, @Dalesean027, @ShakeResounding, @Remus1998, @Maverick_Zero_X, @omegabronic, @JJSliderman, @Greenshifter, @ShadowWarrior1999, @Bobsican, @DarkDragonMedeus)
Neutral:
Disagree:

Last edited:
I would like to note, the aside from the Boost, scaling repercussions brought about by this CRT should be saved for another time. This thread is SOLELY to give Spin Dash and Boost a listed speed.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, A part of me feels like this is weird, but looking at it deeper it's okay, by the way, will this apply to other characters with Spin Dash like Metal Sonic and Shadow? or only Sonic During Prime?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, A part of me feels like this is weird, but looking at it deeper it's okay, by the way, will this apply to other characters with Spin Dash like Metal Sonic and Shadow? or only Sonic During Prime?
Every single character with a Spin Dash is affected. Tho I don't think Metal can do a Spin Dash if memory serves me right. Not without copying Sonic anyway.

I personally feel the Super-Peel Out could also be included in this, since I'm pretty sure it's faster than the Spindash is. Maybe the Drop Dash as well, since it's essentially aerial Spindash, perhaps?
I agree, though, regardless.

I personally feel the Super-Peel Out could also be included in this, since I'm pretty sure it's faster than the Spindash is. Maybe the Drop Dash as well, since it's essentially aerial Spindash, perhaps?
I agree, though, regardless.
The Super Peel Out was treated more as an acceleration increase, not a speed amp. Tho even if it was, I dunno if there was much evidence for Super Peel Out > Spin Dash

Yeah, no problem!

"Dash
Press Jump while Looking Up to build power. Release Look Up to launch a high speed Dash. Faster than a Spin Dash but less lethal."

Screenshot_468.png

This is a bit confusing, but hear me out. The scan is referring to Peel Out > Spin Dash in CD. But in CD, Spin Dash was incomplete and just kinda bad in general compared to the other games that take place later in the timeline where Spin Dash was perfected.

Then I suppose the CRT can include the Super Peel Out. I can't edit the proof into the op rn, so for now Ill just note it

Since the calc is accepted I suppose this is fine.

Edit: Nvm, looks like the calc needs to be reworked

Last edited:
I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is not a chance this calculation is accurate. First off, the actual value relative to Sonic's speed should not change based on how fast Sonic is in general. If the calculation is proper, Sonic's speed while running should be x, and his speed while spin dashing should be a value higher than x. However, the x value should not influence the spin dashing value, as in a comparison in relativity, we only care about the relationship between the distances.

An example would be;
  • Let's say Sonic ran 1 meter whereas he'd have gone 10 meters with the spin dash. That'd mean the Spin Dash is 10 times faster than Sonic.
  • However, notice that, even if we say Sonic ran at the speed of sound, or the speed of light, the factor of these comparisons don't change, and spin dash remains 10 times faster.
Thus, the method used on the OP is completely incorrect. There is no logical reason to divide the speed Sonic has by the distance the robots travelled. What this does is assuming the Spin Dash crossed 300.000km at the same time they moved 20 centimeters. I don't need to tell you that's just inaccurate.

What you can do is calculate how much the spin dash travelled at the same time as they travelled those 20 centimeters, compare them, and then see how much faster Spin Dash is. This also eliminates low and high ends since there can be only one unit of comparison, distance.

This is outright wrong, I am sorry.

I just watched the video frame by frame and we can see the spin dash moving relative to the robots - it is somewhat faster but billions of times faster? No, we can calculate that it might be four times faster going frame by frame. I'm sorry, this is quite silly. I volunteer on doing the proper method if anyone is interested.
Skaezjv.png

In this frame we can see the spin dash coming in. Pay attention to those orange robots.

YmNrrGS.png

We then see the spin dash moving around half a meter, whereas the orange robots slightly shift in motion, probably moving a few centimeters.

This is not a billion times faster. Sonic would have to move a billion centemeters before they can move one.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is not a chance this calculation is accurate. First off, the actual value relative to Sonic's speed should not change based on how fast Sonic is in general. If the calculation is proper, Sonic's speed while running should be x, and his speed while spin dashing should be a value higher than x. However, the x value should not influence the spin dashing value, as in a comparison in relativity, we only care about the relationship between the distances.

An example would be;
  • Let's say Sonic ran 1 meter whereas he'd have gone 10 meters with the spin dash. That'd mean the Spin Dash is 10 times faster than Sonic.
  • However, notice that, even if we say Sonic ran at the speed of sound, or the speed of light, the factor of these comparisons don't change, and spin dash remains 10 times faster.
Thus, the method used on the OP is completely incorrect. There is no logical reason to divide the speed Sonic has by the distance the robots travelled. What this does is assuming the Spin Dash crossed 300.000km at the same time they moved 20 centimeters. I don't need to tell you that's just inaccurate.

What you can do is calculate how much the spin dash travelled at the same time as they travelled those 20 centimeters, compare them, and then see how much faster Spin Dash is. This also eliminates low and high ends since there can be only one unit of comparison, distance.

This is outright wrong, I am sorry.
The calc is based on how fast Sonic's perception is when using the Spin Dash. The robots normally move at light speed, and then I divided it by their apparent speed to get the dilation of time. It's the method I was suggested would work when showing a CGM this clip (I can't link Convo, but on KLOL's wall) and was accepted by a different CGM.

The calc is based on how fast Sonic's perception is when using the Spin Dash. The robots normally move at light speed, and then I divided it by their apparent speed to get the dilation of time. It's the method I was suggested would work when showing a CGM this clip (I can't link Convo, but on KLOL's wall) and was accepted by a different CGM.
I'm sorry, but still, it's wrong.

I just explained why the method is logically impossible and showed a very irrefutable piece of contradiction which is both Spin Dash and the robots simultaneously in motion, not possible when the gap is that big, I'm afraid. Plus, I am going to be sure you didn't do that method properly given how you calculated their "apparent speed", then randomly assumed the spin dash itself was going at lightspeed in relation to their apparent speed for no reason, if that wasn't your intention, sorry but that's what dividing lightspeed by their apparent speed means there. The correct thing to do would just be calculating the spin dash's apparent speed then, and THEN dividing the two to get the difference. The robot's actual speed are never a factor in calculations like these, only when it's time to compare the two after you got the difference.

Unfortunate, but this is not quite a matter of opinion, it's a glaring contradiction in math. You may call KLOL here if you wish, I'm sure they'll say the same.

I'm sorry, but still, it's wrong.

I just explained why the method is logically impossible and showed a very irrefutable piece of contradiction which is both Spin Dash and the robots simultaneously in motion, not possible when the gap is that big, I'm afraid. Plus, I am going to be sure you didn't do that method properly given how you calculated their "apparent speed", then randomly assumed the spin dash itself was going at lightspeed in relation to their apparent speed for no reason, if that wasn't your intention, sorry but that's what dividing lightspeed by their apparent speed means there. The correct thing to do would just be calculating the spin dash's apparent speed then, and THEN dividing the two to get the difference. The robot's actual speed are never a factor in calculations like these, only when it's time to compare the two after you got the difference.

Unfortunate, but this is not quite a matter of opinion, it's a glaring contradiction in math. You may call KLOL here if you wish, I'm sure they'll say the same.
I think outside of the momentum Sonic gives them from slamming into them they move very slowly in comparison to Sonic who is viewing these light speed characters as moving at the calculated speed. My calc assumed Eggforcers were light speed, from which I divided by the speed they seemed to be moving at. Tho ig the method u suggested makes sense. Ill update the calc tomorrow with another end using what you suggested and see what CGM think.

My calc assumed Eggforcers were light speed, from which I divided by the speed they seemed to be moving at.
But that doesn't tell us how much faster Spin Dash is, it just tells us how much slower they are moving in comparison to what they should be moving in-lore, which is still inaccurate because how they move when they're at "normal speed" still is using cinematic time, example, let's say the show usually shows them moving at 10m/s, which should be lightspeed, meaning what the show considers to be lightspeed is shown as 10m/s, if the slowed time is 0.20m/s, that means they are moving 50x slower during the slow motion.
You can make this calc with everyone in the show while they're running and you'd get those absurd results too. I guess you just misinterpreted the data.

However, there's a much better frame at 0:29 seconds of Tails moving in a one-dimensional direction while a robot moves. I am currently making this calc and will post it here so you can blog it (I don't know how to blog calculations).

But that doesn't tell us how much faster Spin Dash is, it just tells us how much slower they are moving in comparison to what they should be moving in-lore, which is still inaccurate because how they move when they're at "normal speed" still is using cinematic time, example, let's say the show usually shows them moving at 10m/s, which should be lightspeed, meaning what the show considers to be lightspeed is shown as 10m/s, if the slowed time is 0.20m/s, that means they are moving 50x slower during the slow motion.
You can make this calc with everyone in the show while they're running and you'd get those absurd results too. I guess you just misinterpreted the data.

However, there's a much better frame at 0:29 seconds of Tails moving in a one-dimensional direction while a robot moves. I am currently making this calc and will post it here so you can blog it (I don't know how to blog calculations).
Nah, that's alright. I still have all the scans and what not saved so I can make edits at any time. Imma get to it after I wake up tomorrow. Should be a quick fix

Nah, that's alright. I still have all the scans and what not saved so I can make edits at any time. Imma get to it after I wake up tomorrow. Should be a quick fix
Calculating Sonic's movement with the spin dash in a three dimensional shot will be unnecessary struggle, I am basically done with the Tails version, if you wanna see that.

Calculating Sonic's movement with the spin dash in a three dimensional shot will be unnecessary struggle, I am basically done with the Tails version, if you wanna see that.
Eh, it ain't that big an issue. I've seen more difficult calc'd before. Plus Sonic's Spin Dash easily had the best showing as the ones after we're more flashy shots. If you wanna show me yours you can if you want. I can't exactly stop you. But I do plan on editing mine regardless

A better frame for this is the one where Tails hits the robots and goes in a straight 1-D direction while an unharmed robot moves upwards a few centimeters. I overlapped both frames.
EvF0Lfk.jpg

Robot's torso (red line): 0.8782m/142 or 0.00618450704m per pixel
Distance Tails Travelled (yellow line): 598x0.00618450704 = 3.7 meters
Distance Robot Travelled (green line): 19x0.00618450704 = 0.117 meters.

Speed Difference (3.7/0.117): 31.62x faster than the robots

I'd say that's enough for a speed blitz.

Eh, it ain't that big an issue. I've seen more difficult calc'd before. Plus Sonic's Spin Dash easily had the best showing as the ones after we're more flashy shots. If you wanna show me yours you can if you want. I can't exactly stop you. But I do plan on editing mine regardless
I wouldn't say that, they seem to use the same copy-pasted slow-mo effect/lightspeed dash effect on all of them. Also, a 3-D calculation leaves more room for error. But I suppose it can't get to the levels you were getting before, so fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back