• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Something we stopped doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly does not equal bad. I like that our hobby is silly.

"I continue to maintain that it is an extremely bad idea to completely let go of any semblance of control in any area, as it has proven to usually lead down bad paths."

Ant, nobody is talking about this, seriously. Everybody is being a lot more reasonable than your posts imply they are.

Humor is subjective. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean others wont find it amusing. Not to mention it's rather rude to say most people probably wont have good senses of humor regardless.

And we already did draw the line earlier. Nearly everyone agreed that nothing that bashes other series and doesn't follow our typical guidelines. Seriously, almost nothing will change. And the argument about franchise specific wikis is completely false. There's another generally more no-nonsense Transormers wiki that's much less active and popular then tfwiki.net. Why? Because its content is less. That's what's important, content. Having quirky jokes wont impact that at all.

@Matt RIP the old Tsundereplane page.

The problem is that, again, we would have no way of keeping this under control. One person's crude or derogatory comments are another person's high comedy, and they will constantly inspire more of the same, until we have a wiki littered with hundreds of cases of inappropriate content again.

It is better to avoid all of it altogether, or make some special joke section pages in the wiki, if you insist that Joke Battles is not enough.

Of course we have ways of keeping it under control.

It is very easy to determine what counts as crude or derrogatory.

And no, I'm sorry. You are using a slippery slope apocalyptic argument that is not founded in reality.

And I don't think you understand. Nobody wants to make joke profiles. We want that our serious, accurate profiles allow a little humor in them as well. There is nothing bad about that.

Also, I am not trying to be rude, I am trying to be rational, since I have seen where this sort of thing leads previously.

Just wanted to give a little say before I go to sleep.

There's a pretty obvious difference between what's cool and what's not too far. For example, say Lucario. I'm not going to point out which one's which, because again, it's obvious.

"If Goku was a Pokémon"

"It might be a blue dog, but it still ***** on Fairy Tail"

Well, I still think that this is a very bad idea, as most members will not know where to draw the line, and who will be left to do the cleanup work? Me, as usual, given that most staff members do not patrol the edits, and given just how massive my workload already is, I am allergic to anything that significantly increases it even further.

"Goku is so much stronger though"

>Flamewar ensues

Probs best to just not mention other franchises in the jokes

For instance of what I mean, this SMT profile wouldn't suddenly become an unreliable mess with no seriousness or analysis behind it. It would just have a joke caption on it, something along the lines of "No one does battle with God like Gaston!".

"Me, as usual, given that most staff members do not patrol the edits, and given just how massive my workload already is, I am allergic to anything that significantly increases it even further."

Ant. You don't need to patrol anything further. This only happens because you impose the need on yourself. Others can take care of it.

Personally, I agree with Ant and don't see the point in a bunch of the jokes, but nobody is incorrect either. A lot of this seems to be nostalgia and a circling of people who agree with the idea when there are I believe just as many people who think going for it is a bad idea like Ant believes. IMO the general public is much more influencial in this idea than just the Admins' preferences for the sole fact that they would be capable of doing it too.

i would go to someone's wall because of the staff discussion label but there's so many people here i don't know who to go to so sorry for dropping in i guess.

@Howard

To you it might be obvious where to draw the line, but to several members it is not.

@Matthew

I can give examples of wikis that have greatly succeeded because of their professionalism, but regarding ones that have failed for being unprofessional, they are much harder to find, as we haven't heard of them because of it.

Also, a lot of the profiles here do have plenty of jokes in them. The King Crimson profile for JoJo has some joke pics and gifs in the gallery. I've seen silly fanart or artwork in other profiles' galleries, etc.

Thank you Arigarmy. You are welcome to continue to comment.

i mean adding captions shouldn't be too bad AS LONG as it doesn't offend others or flame things. We can put a rule to literally keep it not offensive tbh but overall captions don't seem too bad only bad when ppl start going nuts

Still on vacation, but I'll give some input.

I've removed these wherever I saw them throughout my time on this wiki because I always found it unprofessional and generally, it doesn't appeal to me and what I want my pages - and pages in general - to look like and how I want them to communicate information to users; clearly, professionally, and without bias.

This does not mean that they are bad, and that's just my personal opinion. I really don't think anything bad would come of it. Whatever people find this unappealing enough to leave or whatever people decide that it's an invitation to make a mess are people who would do so anyways, at the slightest opportunity. I don't care either way.

Regardless, Ant, you aren't the only person who patrols edits. I'm on vacation and it's hard for me to stay off the wiki and not constantly look through edits. Hell, I'm here now despite my best efforts to stay off.

@Matthew

Thank you, but I do not think that you understand that from my perspective, who actually keeps up with most of the things that are going on in this wiki, others are most definitely not going to take care of a lot of the work that I do daily, or there wouldn't be a need to perform it in the first place.

Similarly, speaking through actual firsthand experience, for every acceptable joke, at least two or three inappropriate ones will pop up, and almost nobody will be willing to systematically monitor for and remove them.

ACF has a lot of jokes too, and a few profiles that are complete jokes.

And nothing happens.

I feel we are being too strict here.

The Fandom versions of the Transformers and Madoka wikis are extremely unpopular according to their WAM score, whereas we are consistently in the top 20, and recurrently top 15.

tfwiki.net is slightly more popular than ourselves according to SimilarWeb, but is nevertheless backed by a multi-billion dollar popular franchise interested in the property, whereas we are attempting to introduce a new concept to the general public, so it is not a good idea to go out of our way to harm our own credibility.

The ACF wiki has very long professionally created analytical profiles, whereas we generally do not. They might be able to afford some amount of leeway in this area, but we are on loose enough grounds as it is, and our system is built of relegating all jokes to the Joke Battles Wiki.

Matthew Schroeder said:
ACF has a lot of jokes too, and a few profiles that are complete jokes.

Just the author of a certain profile is supposed to have done a great job and so he/she has the right to some creative freedom.

Staff discussion, yeah I know. But I kinda agree with Antvasima. They look a lot more professional and cleaner without. The OBD used to do it to and many were off topic, added nothing made it look nowhere near as nice.

Also not everyone likes jokes and puns, to some it'll just be a bother.

The problem is not that we would force people to insert jokes, but that we would gradually encourage them to do so the greater amount of them that would appear, and as usual in this chaotic wiki, as long as a bad precedent exists, lots of other members will use it as a pretext to insert lots more of the same or worse, which will create another bad pretext, and so onwards.

There's clearly no agreement here and every opportunity to have it reintroduce is shot down, is there a point in persisting?

I don't know about jokes, but I used to insert quotes the character said, or what other characters say about the character in the profile. Then, the quote thing at the top of the page came, and the quote below the profile picture all but disappeared.

The jokes or what not under the pictures are not something we should encourage imo, as Ant said.

In theory it sounds, personally, completely harmless and may increase the interactivity, fun and dynanism of many of the pages, but there have been a large number of increasingly petty people who have come here in the past who might try to use that as an excuse to lampoon characters/verses which they don't like, leading you admins to have MORE page cleanup on your list of things to do, which seems to have a lot on its plate already.

(Edit: I didn't see that this was a Staff Discussion; I'll remove this post if necessary)

Thank you for the support Gemmysaur and Aeyu.

I am personally not opposed to jokes (as anyone who knows me can tell), but I do see where Ant is coming from. This can often be compounded by the fact that, obviously, not everyone is a regular George Carlin, and added """""jokes""""" could often times be pretty dumb/bad/unfunny/just pretty terrible, altogether.

What I always enjoy is when a joke can be added that not only doesn't take away from a profile, but also adds to it. For instance, one of my favorite examples is Sorin Markov. No, not the personal quote at the top of the profile, but the one under his picture. Not only is it funny and furthers the point of "this is not someone you should be f#$%ing with", but it's an official joke, as well. Stuff like this is mainly the kind of thing that there should be, if it is allowed.

I know this is a lot of analysis for what amounts to "y no meeeeeemes??/", but comedy isn't easy and I feel people should understand why a stupid joke can actually decrease the quality of a page.

@Azzy

I never used memes or anything like that. Hell, I didn't understand what an Internet meme was until about a year ago. I just liked thinking of somewhat cheeky things to say about a character that aren't offensive (i.e. making fun of Ultimecia wearing Griever)

But if this ends up being turned down for the sake of security then fine.

But sometimes I notice that even completely professional captions get removed.

For instance, on Axel's profile, I labeled Lea's picture as, "Notice the lack of markings under his eyes." to show that it wasn't just another picture of Axel. But that ended up getting removed as well.

No ill feelings about it, I'm just wondering why some captions are good and others are bad and how we're supposed to classify them.

@Rep

It being a meme isn't the point. It's that if a joke isn't executed properly, it looks bad. If a joke looks bad, it draws attention away from the rest of the profile, which also looks bad. Hence why I am trying to say why the issue isn't as cut and dry as "do you like jokes y/n?", and why I perfectly understand where Ant is coming from despite my personal enjoyment of added jokes.

Captions are usually removed if they just don't serve a purpose, most of the time. I don't think it's due to anything inherently wrong with them.

Well, I have tended to remove all captions except for ones that give credit to an artist, as they usually distract from the other information in the profiles.

If there is a quote, it should be placed in a {{Quote|Insert text here}} block, and if there is important information, it should be placed in the footnotes at the bottom of the page, as it looks less messy in terms of layout.

Also, thank you for the support Azathoth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back