• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Something we stopped doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jokes are like food too. There may be some that are universally accepted as good, but there will always be some that can taste good to someone but make someone else vomit. Yeah.

Maybe if the character comes from a setting with jokes or stupid lines that are somehow amusing (Konosuba for example), then it'd probably be fine to add said in-universe jokes.

@Azzy

Fair enough, but when most people jump onto a profile it's usually to see how strong that character is anyways. That said, I see your point.

But I noticed that we've been making a lot of our decisions based on site popularity. Should we strive to make the site as best as it can be? Sure.

But I don't think we should be focusing solely on site popularity. It's nice to be popular, but lately we've been fixated on it to the point that it's leeched into virtually all of our major decisions.

Not commenting further on the topic to avoid derailing, just thought I'd point out something.

@Ant

What counts as a pointless caption though? Was my caption about Lea's picture pointless?

@Rep

I don't view this as an issue about popularity (though that is simply my take), but instead an issue of something that can negatively impact quality. There are definitely some pages that benefit far more from a well executed quip than others.

@Reppuzan

Well, personally I have spent an awful lot of time attempting to make the site as well-structured, accurate, organised, and good-looking as possible. This has apparently proven to be a winning concept, and I do not wish to actively undermine it.

I suppose that some matter of fact image caption information text could technically be kept, but I still prefer to place it in footnotes, as it looks less intrusive in terms of layout.

I agree with Azathoth about that this is about quality more than popularity. The latter is rather a consequence of the former.

@Matthew

What were the jokes that you are talking about?

Matthew Schroeder said:
As long as the jokes on the Tsunderplane and Temmy pages are restored, I'm fine.
^

Example of "pages/verses that lend themselves to jokes", right here.

This differs from when people usually try to insert jokes onto more serious verses or pages, which usually just results in a universal groan.

Or when people try to insert jabs vaguely masked as jokes onto pages like Dragon Ball, or something.

I'm neutral about this. I'm mostly convinced that funny captions are harmless (as long as they are, well, funny) but I can see why some are opposing it.

I mean, Madoka has the old "frienzoned by God" joke on her profile and I don't think that anyone ever complained about that, nor it makes the profile less accurate.

@Promestein

My apologies for not responding earlier. I know that you are helping out a lot with monitoring work, which I greatly appreciate.

If a few Undertale jokes are very important to our administrators, I suppose that we might be able to make an exception, but that is all that it should be, an exception, not a change in our general rules concerning this type of thing.

Also, it is probably best if we go through them first, to check that they are appropriate.

I know some people can be bad at this stuff and the jokes becomes cringe worthy, which is why its better to be kept at absolute minimum. Though if you happen upon a really bad one then it's better those are to be removed if it takes away the quality of the pages rather than enhance it.

FYI the captions thing have the option to either be visible or mouse hovered, meaning it won't be visible most the time unless you happen to hover over it.

I agree with Ant, it's not exactly like we can split test these things and go with the wiki that produces the better results. Personally, 9 times out of 10 I'll scroll right past it, that 1 time I do read it I'll probably react "ok.." so I'm neutral on that front.

I am no longer staff but I am going to agree with Ant as well. It's much better to look more professional and formal since our wiki isn't really mainly designed to be in a humour way where you will see jokes all the time.

If you want jokes like Ant said, you may do it in Fun and Games board or Joke Battles Wiki.

I still agree with Ant as well. Jokes and that stuff can go anywhere else where jokes were made to be outside of the main information page. The longing for UT jokes/nostalgia/whatever seems a bit much to go this far for if you ask me, the F&G board seems fine enough for that.

Thanks Arigarmy.

So, should we remove the highlight and close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back