• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Something about Polygon Man and PSASBR characters

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
Several months ago the user @Ednaxel2 made some upgrades to the Polygon Man without having them approved in a CRT and this has gone unnoticed until it was too late to rollback them, due to the other edits that have been performed. They have later improved the profile even more in a general way, so I'm thankful for that, but I nonetheless need to address the most relevant ones.
As the one who made the profile in the first place, I also humbly claim some knowledge on the subject. Some profiles for the playable characters have been made too, and I believe their existence needs to be addressed.

Neigh-Ominscience

Has lived for a supposedly long time and appears to have knowledge of the multiverse and its functioning
I believe it is evident that such justification is insufficient for such a rating, so it should straight up be removed.

Gifted Intelligence

The P-Man was upgrade to Gifted in virtue of fighting evenly with the characters who form the roster, but the problem is that he never fights them in person. As you can see from his boss battle, he always sends forward his minions to do the dirty work for him, while he limits himself to try and crush them between rounds and acting as a stage hazard for the rest of the time.
You can argue he had to defeat at least one on his own before corrupting them, and this is also what I used for his AP, but the context of how this happens is totally shrouded in mystery and there's plenty of room for possibilities given his abilities and the fights the characters constantly engage with each other in the story.

Superhuman Stamina

I guess there's a possibility for it given his immortality type 2, and while I'd prefer to keep it unknown given the unknowns about his phyiology, I can settle up for a possibly superhuman.

Massively Hypersonic+ Speed

This is the major point of contention, since he is directly scaled to Cole's lightnings. Setting aside that this is straight up crossover-to-canon scaling, which is not allowed under blatant circumstances like this, such speed comes a reaction feat done by Kessler in InFamous, instead of a set value.
You can argue this Cole scales to the bare minimum speed of lightning, which is still in the same rank, as he does some natural lightning stuff in the game, but the thing remains overall shaky in my opinion, because then you could very well go and fish various weapons that can be dodged or reacted to a point-blank in gameplay (and gameplay measurement aren't allowed).
Overall, I'd much prefer to keep speed unknown as it was, or maybe return it temporarily until I skim through some cutscenes and try to find something decent to calc beyond gameplay.

The Characters

Profiles for the PSASBR versions of Kratos, Raiden and Sackboy have been made and I believe we should at least discuss whether or not they respect our policies on Crossovers. The fundamental rule for crossover characters is for them to be sufficiently distinct from their main versions besides statistics, a requirement which I don't believe they meet thoroughly.
The characters do have a story within the game and you can argue that some of their combat abilities are somewhat different in virtue of having been adapted for the gameplay, such as stuff appearing from nothing and else.

In my opinion these are very weak justifications, because for all intentions and purposes they are 1:1 reproductions of their canon counterparts and present just the minimum alterations to make them playable, and this applies mostly to the realistic characters (like Nathan Drake) which need toon-forcish stuff to be adapted.
The problem is that the same can very well be said for all crossover games that need to somewhat adapt the guests but still aren't allowed on the site, to name a couple the various Shonen Jump games and Project X Zone, to stay in the range of videogames, although the rules apply to any kind of crossover.
Due to PSASBR being a fully crossover-based games, it's arguable even the degree of extent the (extremely brief)* story can be considered an argument, unlike one-sided crossovers where a character is introduced in another universe.
*the characters are summoned from their universe, beat their rival, kill Polygon Man and return home with just an AP upgrade.

To make a direct comparison with Smash Bros, of which PSASBR is an offspring, its characters have been forbidden for years for these reasons (and I still disapprove their existence), but to this day they still have several games, two story modes and quite a bunch of additional material on top of the altered gameplay. To address the items present in PSASBR as argument for additional material, you could potentially say the same of the various power ups, items, equipment etc.. that you find or use in the aforementioned forbidden crossover games. Tbh, Smash is still quite the borderline example and should be used an extreme threshold rather than a standard, least we flood the wiki with crossover characters of all kind, thus making the rules we established completely moot.

While intending to offense, and knowing Ednaxel put effort and care in making the profiles, in my opinion they should be deleted.

I’m extremely sorry for those out of nowhere upgrades for P-man, I had no idea small profiles like that needed CRTs before until much later

I agree with most of these changes, especially the speed

No worries dued, there's no trouble, it happens.
All profiles need CRTs, regardless of how small they are. Any contribution given in good faith is welcomed anyway and you did a good job anyway, if you have any further opinion or suggestion feel free to speak up.

if you have any further opinion or suggestion feel free to speak up.
well my only issue are the PSASBR profile deletions, though it’s more of a “why do other profiles get a pass” kinda thing

Like this profile for example, is just Kratos but in shovel knight, its validity comparable to his PSASBR profile yet has existed longer

Galactus’ Fortnite profile could be another issue, where it’s the same as the PSASBR characters (getting extracted his main story, put into a crossover, and back) but the events in that are actually canon to the marvel comics, which makes it all the more confusing as to why he has a whole separate profile

(Again, this is more of a “why do other profiles get a pass” kinda thing)

That is the thing with one-sided crossovers, a.k.a. guest characters entering another universe, thus becoming somewhat part of it, even if they are not canon but have somewhat of a story and their own things.
This because at that point they effectively become part of an already established verse, while still being very similar to the originals, otherwise they just wouldn't be them anymore.
On the other hand, characters gathered together simply to make a general crossover need much more baking up because they exist in a new world only for themselves, and usually come in much higher numbers. It is the reason why usually only final boss and original characters from crossovers are allowed, to avoid having many clones with little to not differences and not enough to differentiate them.
Take Ryu for example, he's been everywhere and while being generally the same, you could argue for differences. MvC Ryu has enough baking up, but you could theoretically bring other 10 versions of him from different crossovers that exist just as a collection of various characters.

Back