• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

So, about Paper Mario's Immortality...

Currently Paper Mario is listed as having Immortality Types 4 and 8 due to a line from Queen Jaydes saying she'll "tip the scales in the Heroes' favor should their games be over"

While this would be pretty cool, it's a very vague statement. While yes, she does have power over life and death, her primary role as Queen of the Underwhere is to weigh the sins of the previously living, and therefore deciding if they should be allowed into the Overthere. (If the timestamp doesn't work skip to 9:34)

It's not exactly a leap in logic to assume this is actually what she's talking about. Scales refer to a weighting system, which is her primary thing she dles in judging the souls of the dead. She never canonically revives anyone because the Party isn't dead as well when Dimentio does his thing, which I think is part of this assumption.

There's also the Japanese text of this quote, which only really says "If you die, come to me and I will give you sweet treats" (again if it doesn't work skip to 24:20 and pause)

It's very clear this isn't remotely what the quote is supposed to imply. Considering the context it's just Jaydes being sweeter on Mario and Co. when they die, not specifically saying she's granting them immortality that would completely cheat death. That doesn't even seen remotely in character for her.

Conclusion: Immortality Types 4 and 8 gotta go.

Currently Paper Mario is listed as having Immortality Types 4 and 8 due to a line from Queen Jaydes saying she'll "tip the scales in the Heroes' favor should their games be over"

While this would be pretty cool, it's a very vague statement. While yes, she does have power over life and death, her primary role as Queen of the Underwhere is to weigh the sins of the previously living, and therefore deciding if they should be allowed into the Overthere. (If the timestamp doesn't work skip to 9:34)

It's not exactly a leap in logic to assume this is actually what she's talking about. Scales refer to a weighting system, which is her primary thing she dles in judging the souls of the dead. She never canonically revives anyone because the Party isn't dead as well when Dimentio does his thing, which I think is part of this assumption.

There's also the Japanese text of this quote, which only really says "If you die, come to me and I will give you sweet treats" (again if it doesn't work skip to 24:20 and pause)

It's very clear this isn't remotely what the quote is supposed to imply. Considering the context it's just Jaydes being sweeter on Mario and Co. when they die, not specifically saying she's granting them immortality that would completely cheat death. That doesn't even seen remotely in character for her.

Conclusion: Immortality Types 4 and 8 gotta go.
What type of immortality should we give him, then? I don't have a problem with removing these types, but the context should warrant some form of Immortality, yes?

What type of immortality should we give him, then? I don't have a problem with removing these types, but the context should warrant some form of Immortality, yes?
I don't think the context warrants any kind of immortality, it just seems like she'd give them special treatment in the afterlife once they finally properly die. Given the obvious similarities and inspiration, she's basically the 3 Judges of Hades and she's ensuring that the heroes would go to Elysium instead of Tartarus regardless of the actions they take in life.

I don't think the context warrants any kind of immortality, it just seems like she'd give them special treatment in the afterlife once they finally properly die. Given the obvious similarities and inspiration, she's basically the 3 Judges of Hades and she's ensuring that the heroes would go to Elysium instead of Tartarus regardless of the actions they take in life.
Well, if not Immortality, what specific power or ability should it give him?

They'd keep Type 2 of course, or at least Mario would. We'd need examples of others surviving with holes in their bodies like him. But unless there's some other kind of immortality showcased throughout the games, that would be the only type they (potentially only Mario) would have.

Back