• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shouldn't Starlight Glimmer besting Twilight sparkle be considered an outlier?

Okay, but if magic is tied to emotions, shouldn't Twilight have gotten a power boost of her own, sine she was watching her home be turned into a nightmare realm and losing all her friends?

As for the Goku Black example, that was in Dragon Ball Super. This is not Dragon Ball Super.

And as for the plot point thing.

It was a major plot point that Sephiroth needed the Black Materia to destroy earth, despite him having Solar System AP. When i pointed this out, and how this plot point should put him at below Planet Level @Reppuzan responded:

"Authors are exceedingly ignorant of their characters' own power much of the time. The fact that Sephiroth "needed" the Black Materia is just a means of getting the plot moving even though he's much stronger than characters who have displayed greater feats."

So... Plot Points are NOT valid for establishing Sephiroth's feats, but they ARE valid for establishing Starlight's?

Why is "Sephiroth needed the Black Materia" considered a contrivance to get the plot moving. But "Starlight is as strong as an Alicorn" not a contrivance to keep Starlight from being stomped in the finale?

No, Starlight is the only one who has a confirmed direct tie between magic and emotion on top of the fact that she stalemated Twilight on multiple occasions

Well, as far as I understand Starlight Glimmer was consistently treated as being even more talented than Twilight, and also practically demonstrated such power.

Sephiroth explicitly demonstrating stronger power than the author may have intended is also legitimate.

Basically, we generally tend to go by the higher power level demonstrations, not the lower ones, but you do have a point in that this may be a bit inconsistent approach.

I will ask Azathoth to give his input here as well.

And normally I'd be fine with going with the stronger interpretation. But what keeps throwing me is the MASSIVE gap between Island and Star level. (This is why I never brought this up until now, because the Alicorns were considered to be only Mountain level. With normal ponies around City Level. So the gap wasn't that wide, and I had the theory that maybe being an Alicorn DIDN'T boost their power level, but the recent confirmation that they ARE Star Level is what made this jump ridiculous in my eyes) Even in the Goku Black example above, everyone was still Universal level, so it was a comparatively smaller leap. And the fact that the "Starlight gets powered up by her emotions" thing ONLY applies to her seems more like the writers rushing to fill a Plot Hole.

It's a bit of a dumb power jump that isn't super in-line with the setting's lore and doesn't make a ton of sense, yes. If a feat isn't pure PIS, bad writing alone isn't enough to make it illegitimate.

However, it does not stop her from actually scaling. The reasons for the scaling in-universe aren't great, but if we get confirmation of Starlight being comparable to Alicorn Twilight, and there aren't showings that contradict this, then she scales.

Now I have no kept up with the newest season, so I don't know if there are lots of contradictions or none, but it all comes down to that.

@Azzy She stalemated Twilight on multiple occasions and even outmatched her when she managed to catch her off guard, and Twilight herself has stated that Starlight's power and skill is comparable to her own

@Weekly

I know. I'm asking if there's anything in S7 suggesting "Starlight is not Alicorn Twilight level" repeatedly. Because if there isn't, there's no problem scaling her.

Not that i can recall, hell her magic was even able to affect Celestia and Luna, so Starlight's magic being on-par with the Alicorns seems pretty consistent

Okay. I suppose that we should preferably keep her where she is then.

One last question though, for future references, what if we have an in canon feat that is nonsensical by the rules or plot of the setting (Likea sudden Deus Ex Machina power), but one that happens so recently that there's nothing after the feat that confirms or denies it's legitimacy.

For example, the final episode of a series has an, until that time, City Tier villain who wanted to use a Death Ray to destroy the world going, "You fools! I had the power to destroy the planet with my pinky finger the whole time!"

He taps the ground and the Earth blows up. Story ends.

Would that be a valid feat?

Probably, yes. It is bad writing, but a legitimate feat.

Okay, so I don't keep making these kinds of threads, could I get some rules as to what is considered a legitimate feat and what isn't? Like a

A feat IS legitimate if:

A feat is NOT legitimate if:

Because the current page on Outliers is pretty vague.

Well, it is hard to decide absolute regulations for every situation, rather than evaluate on a case-by-case basis, but if Azathoth or other staff members have suggestions for how we could be more clear about this, I am definitely willing to listen.

Well case by case sure, but from what I've seen here and in other threads, you do tend to have some go to rules. Like:

If a feat is replicated multiple times, we will consider it canon. Even if it is implausible.

A feat must be contradicted by something AFTER it's inclusion to be treated as an Outlier.

We always try to aim for the higher feat if deciding between two contradictory feats.

ect.

These are good observations. I would appreciate further staff suggestions for how we could word this in a reasonable manner that works well for our purposes.

Also, I apologise for any trouble I've been causing. Despite how stubborn I am, I am not trying to be difficult.

Back