• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Separating lightning and electricity feat requirements

I have an issue with how lightning and electricity is handled. You see, they kinda share the same requirements despite being heavily different.
Lightning feats request that you prove it is lightning by showing that is has electric properties according to this page

Problem is, from what I've seen, things have changed. Lightning, to be considered as fast as it is, needs to come from a cloud and as of late I've seen the requirement that if it is an attack it needs to come from someone who is ~9-A+ or 8-C or higher.
These rules that have been at play for a while are not reflected properly in the page I linked above.

Then there's my next issue - Electricity shouldn't require similar levels of scrutiny as lightning. We don't have to prove that fire is hot or that ice is cold if both elements are named to be as such and look like they're supposed to look.
I believe electricity shouldn't be placed under the same scrutiny as lightning and should instead fall under the same rules as any other natural element, which is basically no rules beyond visual confirmation.
Sure, electricity is supersonic to hypersonic in speed and is also an important feat, but everyone and their mother knows electricity is extremely fast so it mostly stays consistent. If a verse has some inconsistent speed for electricity then it is the verse's issue, not the issue of a common element everyone knows about.

TL;DR: electricity ≠ lightning, it shouldn't fall under the same levels scrutiny as lightning since in this case it is a natural element similar to fire, ice, wind ect. which you don't have to prove the properties of beyond visuals and perhaps naming.

This thread doesn't seem to make sense to me, as we already separate the requirements when it comes to real lightning and electricity in general. And what I really want to know is, who is making the rumor claiming that both lightning and electricity has the same requirements?

This thread doesn't seem to make sense to me, as we already separate the requirements when it comes to real lightning and electricity in general. And what I really want to know is, who is making the rumor claiming that both lightning and electricity has the same requirements?
What I want is for electricity to not have any significant requirements beyond what is required of any element. I also want the lightning requirements to be updated and not hinge on electric properties since it is very rare for lightning to not have electric properties anyways.

The page has the current standards on it:
That lightning doesn't have to come from a cloud. Any electricity through air is considered lightning.
Lightning has a minimum requirement on strength/voltage to have the classic lightning speed value.

Electricity has the same scrutiny as lightning, as they are the same thing. Lightning is literally just electricity flowing through air.

Electricity currently has no speed value beyond that. Any speed value for electricity is in some way likely going to be a function of its parameters (voltage, amperage, resistance, distance covered etc.)
None of the electricity calcs I have seen to this point have convinced me of being generally applicable.
Edit: Let me say in advance that another factor to consider are how lightning is not flowing at a constant speed, and electricity is hence probably not either, so that we need far distance averages. Additionally, lightning has several stages (the glowing bit is usually the return stroke, not the actual expansion path). Assuming electricty is the same, one also has to make sure one separates those cleanly. (See here for some details, although we don't use those numbers exactly)
I would personally be more comfortable with not using original research in this matter.

Last edited:
Back