• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Roguelike Discussion Thread

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
E0DC273691953EB021C0260C5B018512CC6AEE59

You find a Forum Thread on the ground! Read it? Y/N

Hello, fellow rogues. This is a thread for the discussion of roguelikes in general.

As this is a VS-debating community, it is oddly apt for a thread for the like of us to be done, no? While they, those other pesky characters are occupied with power and having ungodly stats, and people "FRA" them because they have strength, speed, or whatever they call it... We cheat. We cheat hard. We do not play by the rules, we do not have the means to. Why grind for attributes, when we can use a rod of displacement to teleport the enemy to a sinkhole? Gravity is stronger than any of your muscles! Why try to match an enemy's speed, when we can over the area in blood-acting poison? Have a good day running yourself to death with that fast metabolism of yours, sire!

This is a thread for those games where any attempt to play fairly means you already lost before you even began. If you love to learn, to discover and test the boundaries of the game to attain victory, stick around - you might learn something.

In all seriousness, feel free to comment about any roguelikes you see, to reccommend them to fellow debaters, seek help for categorizing verses and suggesting matches! Just remember: The person who said that a problem that cannot be solved by a sword or a fireball is a problem not worth solving is a person who clearly has never heard of the myriad uses of a rod of teleportation, some wire and wet rags.

A related thread of mine that may be of interest is this, a thread about discussing Dwarf Fortress in particular. Feel free to talk about it here, but focus on the rogue-ish aspects on the game - revisions and talk about the game per se should go on the respective thread!

You have finished reading OP's Forum Thread description. Suddenly, you feel smarter! +3 INT! Your intellect has expanded your brain too much, and your skull exploded! You are dead! Restart? Y/N

I'd like to start by commenting that I'm very much interested in creating profiles for Rogue Fable, NetHack and Elona, with Elona in particular being a puzzle that I want to work on the most, but sadly, by far the hardest one to actually do, as the game barely qualifies as a roguelike in the conventional sense.

That sounds like absolute hell to scale.

Speaking of powerscaling Roguelikes' im currently working on a great Roguelike named Loop Hero, and that shit escalates pretty hard, where your mainpower is just straight up permanent subjective reality and you can erase enemies by just forgetting them. Its wild.

That sounds like absolute hell to scale.
It's really, really tough. Roguelikes in general are a bit tough of scaling, as there are hardly any points you can use to tier characters in different keys, but Elona is a doozy. It is kinda easy to scale the absolute BoG as high tier 9 to low 8, as characters easily demolish massive walls of solid rock, can incinerate and freeze solid a lot of things, and there are many feats of dodging bullets and the like, but anything beyond that is... Ugh.

I can say that the strongest characters are on the very least City level, probably way higher by calculating, as they can tank nukes, which, in Elona, can reduce any non-living object to ashes and atomize living beings, in a radius that covers an entire city.

I also wanted to scale Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, which is thankfully way easier. In fact, I probably could do it right now, the problem is only getting scans. Caves of Qud is interesting too but I haven't bought it yet.
Speaking of powerscaling Roguelikes' im currently working on a great Roguelike named Loop Hero, and that shit escalates pretty hard, where your mainpower is just straight up permanent subjective reality and you can erase enemies by just forgetting them. Its wild.
That's insane, lol

I need to check that game now, you've sparked my curiosity.

... Are you perhaps a Sseth watcher? Those games are oddly specific. Speaking of Elona, there was a mobile game remake.

Loop Hero is crazy in terms of powers, one of the bosses in the game has sentient black holes as hunting dogs and snipes things across the universe for ***** and giggles. The first boss erased reality in the intro and you as the main character has to rebuild it by slowly thinking and remembering reality back.

... Are you perhaps a Sseth watcher? Those games are oddly specific. Speaking of Elona, there was a mobile game remake.
i see someone of culture is here

Seriously though, I already knew and played Elona and DF before I knew him, but Sseth introduced me to Caves of Qud and CDDA, so, for that, I'm very grateful.

I heard of it. From what I've gathered, there are... Mixed opinions. Some people think it's great and that it is a very well-done revamp of animation, spritework and general visual quality of the game, and it is an excellent introduction to Elona. Some derided it as a pay2win, watered down version of the game. I'm curious but have other priorities in gaming, such as actually finishing Elona+. Which brings me to if I should consider Elona+ in scaling? I don't think so, as much as I think that Elona+ is an extremely improved version of the game and I'd love to favour it over the base game.
Loop Hero is crazy in terms of powers, one of the bosses in the game has sentient black holes as hunting dogs and snipes things across the universe for ***** and giggles. The first boss erased reality in the intro and you as the main character has to rebuild it by slowly thinking and remembering reality back.
excuse me WHAT

That's almost like a chinese cultivation novel-

Funnily enough, in Caves of Qud there are a few enemies like that. It also reminds of an idle game I've played awhile ago called NGU Idle. Good times...

Hmmm, the issue of how to scale Elona is really bugging me. I started to work on registering feats, but I'm unsure if Elona Mobile is canon to Elona, or if I should consider Elona+...

It's really tempting as Elona+ has much, much more content, including things that were supposed to be on Elona but bugs made them not work at all, but it wouldn't feel right to do so.

Well, in any case, progress is being made, and at least profiles from people in BoG Elona should be scaleable.

Back