• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ripping things apart for Lifting Strength

M3X_2.0

VS Battles
Retired
I was discussing with @Chariot190 about lifting strength and he said something interesting:
Given how **** comics and LS are as a whole, feel like we should treat his pull/push, lifting, and grip feats a bit differently. Like they all go in LS but we're not gonna treat him like he could bench 100 tons just because he rips and bends steel chains a lot
Ripping stuff apart or bending metal usually gives very high values. It’s much easier to show your character being stronger by lifting something heavy rather than by ripping metal in two because the later isn’t that common in terms of quantification.

So when should these feats be legit and not only the author not knowing the strength necessary to do it?

There’s nothing to do with outliers but rather the validity of these feats and one’s ability to wank a LS rating using it.

…. I think you don’t know what I’m talking and I might’ve just expressed myself in a wrong way.

These feats, even in small scale like ripping a few cm wide aluminum bar yields hundreds of tons. It’s not only about outliers because sometimes these “feats” are not even feats, just authors not knowing that ripping chains requires a lot of strength and their character is usually portrayed to be able to lift like his own weight.

Im questioning both the method used, because it seems absurd that small scale feats requires tons of kg to be done & how we apply them.

I’m focusing on this but bending and crushing are sus as hell too. I’ve seen crushing rocks (few dozens of cm wide) requiring like Class K levels of strength.

Throwing something/someone and then destroying something as result, like metal pipes or bars gives highly dumb results.

These feats, even in small scale like ripping a few cm wide aluminum bar yields hundreds of tons. It’s not only about outliers because sometimes these “feats” are not even feats, just authors not knowing that ripping chains requires a lot of strength and their character is usually portrayed to be able to lift like his own weight.
You could say that but like, you could say that about everything. Does an author realize how hard it is to kick someone through a wall or survive an explosion of a certain size? Does an author know how hard it is to make a black hole? Does an author know how fast light speed is? Does an author know that it's impossible to dodge bullets? You can't know any of that so there's no purpose in questioning it unless you have reason to believe they don't.
Im questioning both the method used, because it seems absurd that small scale feats requires tons of kg to be done & how we apply them.
I mean just picture an X ton weight hanging off a solid hunk of iron, I don't think it's that unreasonable to picture the iron not immediately being shredded like paper. If you have actual flaws you see in the calcs sure but this is just arbitrary skepticism.

You could say that but like, you could say that about everything. Does an author realize how hard it is to kick someone through a wall or survive an explosion of a certain size? Does an author know how hard it is to make a black hole? Does an author know how fast light speed is? Does an author know that it's impossible to dodge bullets? You can't know any of that so there's no purpose in questioning it unless you have reason to believe they don't.

I mean just picture an X ton weight hanging off a solid hunk of iron, I don't think it's that unreasonable to picture the iron not immediately being shredded like paper. If you have actual flaws you see in the calcs sure but this is just arbitrary skepticism.
Based take for once. I agree with this.

If it's an outlier, it's an outlier, but if it fits with the formula, it sits.

Sorry for speaking here. Just a question I feel should exist here. If feats like that contradict the series do we throw them out?

Sorry for speaking here. Just a question I feel should exist here. If feats like that contradict the series do we throw them out?
I'd say yeah, if it's outliery or something like that I think that in that case it's fair to say that the author might not realize how difficult tearing stuff is, I just disagree with a standard that says as much.

I'd say yeah, if it's outliery or something like that I think that in that case it's fair to say that the author might not realize how difficult tearing stuff is, I just disagree with a standard that says as much.
My main problem was with dragonball as an example but also similar conditions in other series in which they struggle with much less weight than the one that the calcs using the above feats denote.

So how about this?
  • A "riping things apart" feat can't be the only base for a tier

Take the feats into account, but make it clear that authors often don't understand how impressive these feats are that at first glance don't seem like much.
After saying this, I left the discussion.

So how about this?
  • A "riping things apart" feat can't be the only base for a tier

Take the feats into account, but make it clear that authors often don't understand how impressive these feats are that at first glance don't seem like much.
After saying this, I left the discussion.
i mean if it's the ONLY lifting strength feat it should be used.
i think this thread is more "ripping things often takes far more force than people would think, so if this is contradicted by characters consistently showing lower feats, they should be treated as outliers"

aye, they're fine, just keep in mind that they might not be the most consistent thing, same as anything else

Back