• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rewind ≠ Time Manipulation (MHA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eri has both Time Manipulation and Biological Manipulation on her page, however Rewind is not an ability that rewinds time; It is only the latter ability.
Alongside the fact that the only evidence of her Quirk being Time Manipulation is the fact people say she "rewinds" people, there are two main points to be made.

"They said his Quirk Factors were damaged."

As laid out by Shota, Quirk Factors are mutations of the body within a "Plus Alpha Element". The Quirk-Destroying Drug created using her blood and cells destroys the target's Quirk Factor, effectively damaging them on a cellular level. This is not something that could be done with Time Manipulation.

"Rewinding humans... That's Eri's power. Depending on how she uses it... she could revert a person back into a monkey."

One take from away from this is that Eri's power only works on humans, which is confirmed by Shota.

Kai states that Eri's Rewind could allow her to revert a human back into a monkey. However, seeing as how current-day humans were not born monkeys, it would be impossible to revert them into a monkey through Time Manipulation, since being a monkey was never a part of their "timeline". This could only be done by rewinding their biology.

Kai also
references evolution when speaking on Eri's powers.

In summary,

1. The Quirk-Destroying Bullets, created using Eri's power, damages a target's genetic makeup, which Time Manipulation does not do.
  2. Rewind can be used to reverse a target's biology to the point they return to normal, mutation-less humans or even turn back into monkeys, which Time Manipulation cannot do.
As such, her Powers and Abilities should be changed to:

Last edited:
Agreed, Aizawa also states that her quirk only works on people supporting this change

Eri's power doesn't work on humans only, she was practicing her reverse on bugs and lizards you know. Considering Aizawa didn't even know how her Quirk works at the time, he was just making a guess on what he saw/heard. Her Quirk was even used on rats in Chisaki's flashback as well, when he was figuring out what her power was.

Edit: I'm not very knowledgeable about this, so I'll just watch for now.

Last edited:
Kai states that Eri's Rewind could allow her to revert a human back into a monkey.

That could just be a figure of speech. He could have been referring to the common ancestor humans and monkeys share.

I'm not seeing why Eri's abilities can't be described as a limited form of Time Manipulation. She rewinds Deku's injuries to before he was injured, she rewinds Overhaul's fusion to before he was fused, she rewinds her father out of existence... Why is this not some form of time manipulaiton?

That could just be a figure of speech. He could have been referring to the common ancestor humans and monkeys share.
The point still stands. You cannot revert someone into their common ancestor through Time Manipulation, since they were never that creature at that point in their lives. You would have to alter their biology directly.
She rewinds Deku's injuries to before he was injured, she rewinds Overhaul's fusion to before he was fused, she rewinds her father out of existence... Why is this not some form of time manipulaiton?
All of this can be done through Biological Manipulation. You can rewind someone's damaged cells so that they recover from their injuries, you can rewind someone's entire biology to the point they are no longer fused with another person, and you can rewind someone's body to the point of unbirthing.

Not only is Rewind never stated or implied to be Time Manipulation, but there is more evidence against that notion than there is for it unless we give Limited Time Manipulation to every power that involves rewinding something.

I'm inclined to agree. Rewinding injuries, rewinding biological fusion, and the usual stuff Eri does are all achievable with Biological Manipulation.
Unsure about her rewinding her father from existence, however. If she basically turned him back into cells then I guess that's Biological Manipulation as well. I think this instance is what made people consider it's time manipulation so maybe focus on this instance and explain it.

Is there any additional evidence that this is time manipulation aside from the use of the phrase "rewind"?

Isn’t the act of rewinding something, even if it’s just limited to biological beings, still time manipulation? She is quite literally reverting them backwards in time to a previous state of being, even to the point of before their birth.

Also, Overhaul’s statement is incredibly strange as we have never seen a demonstration of that before and I doubt heavily he was just forcing her to rewind people and has a bunch of monkeys around his basement. That’s a throw away statement with seemingly no basis other than Overhaul’s claim, and while he studied her quirk extensively, we have no idea what he fully discovered, nor what he is exaggerating, since he is literally insane and idolizes Eri’s quirk.

The quirk erasing bullets are heavily altered by-products of her body, they are not indicative of her quirk and are separate. This is shown with her being able to rewind a target of a quirk erasing bullet to before being hit with a quirk erasing bullet, meaning she rewound a rewind by this posts logic, which would be impossible. The bullets have been altered to target the quirk factor specifically to erase it, and whether it’s rewound or not, Eri can overwrite them and restore mutated individuals to their normal mutated state.

At worst she should have “Limited Time Manipulation,” not have it disregarded because it’s very specific.

Isn’t the act of rewinding something, even if it’s just limited to biological beings, still time manipulation?
No, it's not.

Edit:

"Rewinding" can mean a whole host of things completely unrelated to time manipulation. So time manipulation must be proven beyond the use of the phrase itself.

You can rewind a clock. Movie. Video game. Or whatever. But no one will say you are manipulating time itself to achieve that; unless you're a character in that media and are doing it from inside of it.

Rewind as a phrase only means the act of reverting something. You can technically "Rewind" a computer by taking it apart. Rewind a car by taking it apart. Whatever. None of which is necessarily time manipulation in any way, shape, or form.

So you need to prove time manipulation beyond that. Is there a statement that flat out references time being reversed in any way?

Hmmmmm. I guess I can see the point being made here of “she’s not really affecting time itself.” I guess it’s just too specific of an ability to classify? Or needs more clarification? Cause the only statements of it are “rewinding humans/creatures.” I would also raise an eyebrow at how her reverting Overhaul’s fusion is VERY suspicious, since if she didn’t care for time at all, she would have reverted the compounds that made up fused Overhaul, not fused Overhaul himself into two separate people. THAT seems like a strange form of Time Manipulation that is outside her normal showings.

I suppose I can agree with the logic. However, I do disagree with the proposed reasoning of “reverting to monkey’s” and “the quirk erasing bullets do this”. The quirk erasing bullets are not her power, they are a byproduct that has been heavily altered and are not indicative of her abilities, and the monkey statement is a shaky one from Overhaul that doesn’t have any evidence or reason to suggest it’s true.

Just say she can revert biological creatures to a previous state with scans of explanations for her power and I don’t care for the Time Manipulation

The issue is that there isn't really any time being manipulated, that's stated in the series AFAIK. Maybe if she's described to be manipulating the "time" of a person or manipulating time onto a person, like how in Avengers Endgame, Scott Lang got turned into a baby with one of their time experiments.

the manga describes her ability as literally rewinding a species to a "previous stage" or simply a "previous state" whether this works on anything outside of biological life has yet to be shown or stated. thus this is merely a form of biological manipulation to a very limited degree if that. she simpy hasnt mastered her quirk and it was theorized once she does she could revert humans to a stage of where they were simply apes, once again just biological manipulation and I 100% agree of removing time manipulation from her profile as i was even questioning the logic of where it came from.

Personally I’ll say I’m neutral towards tbis
But there’s a little more evidence that it is in fact just or mostly Biological Manip
Since she can only effect organic life forms

Also if she is truly rewinding time it kinda seems weird she can make you a monkey (by the way how her quirk works.) Seems like she is messing with your body.

Last edited:
Damage didn't seem to agree with this and it seems like a lot of people agreed with him. Would like to get his opinion again.

Not only that but this isn't as simple as the OP is making it out to be, this is actually far more complicated.

I'd prefer if other staff, who are knowledgeable about how we treat time related abilities, should look this over as well.

Agree that it should strictly be biological manipulation as oppose to time manipulation or both based on the evidence in the OP.

I prefer biological. Both works but I don't see any solid evidence for time so I would rather just Biological as she can literally change your genes. Which makes more Biological sense.

I'll close it since it is a necro, but another thread shouldn't just be an exact copy + paste of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back