• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Renaming Martial Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordTracer

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Hopefully this should be simple. As things stand, Martial Arts is the only power we have for characters that are good hand-to-hand combatants. The problem is that not all hand-to-hand combatants have dedicated martial arts training. So I propose to rename it to Unarmed Combat, with something like this as the description:
Unarmed Combat, or hand-to-hand combat, is the act of fighting without the use of weapons. This can range from simple brawling to martial arts disciplines like karate, kung-fu, jiu-jitsu, etc.
I’m open to suggestions on what to add or change with this description.

I am willing to agree with this, but I think elaborating the page and mentioning the different forms of unarmed combat; martial arts, street fighting skills, wrestling skills, ect. And people could write it as those individually n the profiles in which the blue text links to Unarmed combat if they wish.

The problem is that every human and basically every character can do some degree of unarmed combat. It only becomes an ability if you can do it at a high skill lievel.
And isn't unarmed combat with much skill nothing but martial arts?

Isn't fighting with weapons too Martial Arts though?
The word martial itself makes reference to the god Mars, so martial arts is kind of "arts of war/warrior", so it does not necessary means unarmed combat.

However, martial arts often refer to the traditional eastern form of weaponless self-defence; in this sense, it does refer to unarmed combat.

Then we would have the additional problem that renaming it would mean we have to sort out the pure weapon user, eh?
Weapons Mastery seems to include both melee weapons and firearms; which their is such a thing as marksmanship which is just the latter and the former is technically part of martial arts.

At this point, simply making/adding new categories and redefining some old ones might work better than changing names.

I also think that this seems like a good idea, but we would probably need the help of @Promestein , @AKM sama , @Elizhaa , or @Damage3245 to replace all of the massive amount of links to the old page with an automated Bot script.
no you don't, just make it a redirect

change is unnecessary and useless, a lot of things fall under martial arts, unarmed combat is way too vague and will be slapped on anyone who has thrown a punch regardless of the skill with which they did so. Just look at how Weapon Mastery is treated already, people get it for holding guns

Last edited:
no you don't, just make it a redirect

change is unnecessary and useless, a lot of things fall under martial arts, unarmed combat is way too vague and will be slapped on anyone who has thrown a punch regardless of the skill with which they did so. Just look at how Weapon Mastery is treated already, people get it for holding guns
Didn't we make it mandatory in a CRT recently to not hand out Weapon Mastery just because people hold a weapon?

I wouldn't know but I think the issue of people giving these things based on any weapon usage at all is a bit too deeply-set just to be fixed by slapping a CRT on the issue.

Then I might as well do a U-Turn and disagree with the OP. Instead, we should remove martials arts or weapon mastery from characters who have it for unjustified reasons and only those who are capable of demonstrating decent fighting in those areas respectively should have those abilities.

I agree with Promestein.
As of now, Martial Arts still implies a certain degree of expertise, and as others have said, if someone's really THAT good at brawling, they basically employ an unorthodox form of martial arts, since being effective is kind of the point.
And yes, while martial arts irl include armed combat, it's commonly used to refer to h2h, and I doubt it ever caused issues to anyone.

If the name is a problem, slap mastery at the end of it to make it "Unarmed Combat Mastery"

Maybe mention something on the page that "Characters should require noteworthy feats to qualify for this: such as having noteworthy training time, fighting skilful opponents, or evidence from a reliable source."

All the fighting styles need entirely new revamps

Imo Martial Arts should be fine and it should encompass all types of fighting styles, it should be something like this

Martial Arts (Skilled Unarmed Combat, Novice Swordsmanship)

If the name Martial Art is an issue, one can always use Combat Proficienty/Mastery or Enhanced Combat; regardless, Martial Arts makes reference to arts of combat in general, and is not limited to unarmed froms of combat (oriental or not).
I’m perfectly fine with calling it Combat Proficiency instead.

Given that the term's stood just fine pretty well for over 7 years, I think people can intuitively understand it to refer to hand-to-hand combat specifically when Weapon Mastery is a separate page. Maybe it's not 100% perfect or accurate, but does it matter? What matters is that it works and that our userbase understands it, and that we minimize confusion and stress and misusage of other terms.

We can also add a short sentence to the martial arts page that we are talking about unarmed fighting in particular. Just to put into writing how we use it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back