• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Real Life Combat Speed Question (s)

Sorry, was at the dentist.

Anyway, so...

217 mph and 440 mph are 97.0077 m/s and 196.698 m/s respectively.

Head value for ducking still remains because horizontal and sword is horizontal slash.

0.3 m is 1 ft

217 mph blade= (0.232 * 97.0077) / 0.3= 75.0193 m/s (Subsonic)

440 mph blade= (0.232 * 196.698) / 0.3= 152.11312 m/s (Subsonic)

Anyway, so...

Head value for ducking still remains because horizontal and sword is horizontal slash.

0.3 m is 1 ft

Cool.

One last thing for clarification.

I'm a bit confused but were you saying earlier that Isao's sword swing didn't actually move at 217 or 440 mph or were you saying that his reactions weren't on that level?

Because the second link that I gave you stated that his sword swing was 440 mph and that the ball he cut was 434 mph.

He cut the BB gun pellet from 70 feet away and the tennis ball from 30 feet away just to be clear.

Last edited:

Anyway, so...

0.3 m is 1 ft

Comrade?

Cool.

One last thing for clarification.

I'm a bit confused but were you saying earlier that Isao's sword swing didn't actually move at 217 or 440 mph or were you saying that his reactions weren't on that level?
More like his sword/arm didn't cover more distance than the bullet did.

Because the second link that I gave you stated that his sword swing was 440 mph and that the ball he cut was 434 mph.
Where's the methodology for that sword? Because this is what we got.

He cut the bb gun pellet from 70 feet away and the baseball from 30 feet away just to be clear.
How close were the ball and the pellet when he started to draw his sword?

More like his sword/arm didn't cover more distance than the bullet did.

Where's the methodology for that sword? Because this is what we got.

How close were the ball and the pellet when he started to draw his sword?
Here's the link to Isao's 217 mph pellet slashing feat:

(The video is called [Real Samurai Sword Technique - Cutting BB Gun pellet by Isao Machii - Japanese Katana Kenjutsu] and the feat starts at 1 minute and 20 seconds)

Here's the link to Isao's 434 mph tennis ball slashing feat:

(The video is called [Very Incredible Japanese Sword skills - Modern Samurai Isao Machii - High-technique Iaigiri] and the feat starts at 1 minute and 17 seconds)

The 217 mph BB gun pellet feat was calced on this site (at 57.9 mph it seems) but what about the 434 mph tennis ball feat?

Last edited:
Here's the link to Isao's 217 mph pellet slashing feat:

(The video is called [Real Samurai Sword Technique - Cutting BB Gun pellet by Isao Machii - Japanese Katana Kenjutsu] and the feat starts at 1 minute and 20 seconds)

Here's the link to Isao's 434 mph tennis ball slashing feat:

(The video is called [Very Incredible Japanese Sword skills - Modern Samurai Isao Machii - High-technique Iaigiri] and the feat starts at 1 minute and 17 seconds)

The 217 mph BB gun pellet feat was calced on this site (at 57.9 mph it seems) but what about the 434 mph tennis ball feat?

Again, we would need to know how much he moves his sword compared to the tennis ball.

Since the Projectile Dodging Formula clearly works like this:

(Distance moved by Character * Projectile Velocity) / Distance between Projectile and Character when the Character Started Moving

Again, we would need to know how much he moves his sword compared to the tennis ball.

(Distance moved by Character * Projectile Velocity) / Distance between Projectile and Character when the Character Started Moving
Is it possible to calculate Isao's tennis ball slashing speed from the video that I provided?

Last edited:

Yo?

Is it possible to calculate Isao's tennis ball slashing speed from the video that I provided?
First, ya gotta find how far the tennis ball is from Isao when he starts drawing his sword.

Then you need to find how much he moved his sword.

Using those... just dump the values into the projectile dodging formula. Units must be in metric, speed must be in m/s, distance moved and distance between ball and Isao at the time of drawing the sword must be in meters.

First, ya gotta find how far the tennis ball is from Isao when he starts drawing his sword.

Then you need to find how much he moved his sword.

Using those... just dump the values into the projectile dodging formula. Units must be in metric, speed must be in m/s, distance moved and distance between ball and Isao at the time of drawing the sword must be in meters.
Can you do all of that for me if is isn't too much trouble or is it impossible?

Can you do all of that for me if is isn't too much trouble or is it impossible?
Actually, now that I look at the tennis ball thing with the green nets, he draws before the ball is shot. That's textbook aimdodging, which nukes the feat from being usable to begin with.

You explicitly have to start moving AFTER THE PROJECTILE IS FIRED, not BEFORE.

Actually, now that I look at the tennis ball thing with the green nets, he draws before the ball is shot. That's textbook aimdodging, which nukes the feat from being usable to begin with.

Damn.

Oh well.

I guess superhuman reactions for Isao with have to do.

Thanks.

Do you mind answering a couple of questions for me if you aren't busy?

How fast would a person be if they could punch 400 times in 1 second?

Additionally, How fast would they be if they could throw 1 punch n 2 milliseconds?

Do you mind answering a couple of questions for me if you aren't busy?

How fast would a person be if they could punch 400 times in 1 second?
Same thing Antoniofer told you. Multiply 400 with the arm length of the person in meters, then divide by 1 second to get the m/s value

Arm length varies based on height.

Additionally, How fast would they be if they could throw 1 punch n 2 milliseconds?
Depends on how long their arm length is (Arm length varies with total height). 2 milliseconds is 0.002 seconds.

Same thing Antoniofer told you. Multiply 400 with the arm length of the person in meters, then divide by 1 second to get the m/s value

Arm length varies based on height.

Depends on how long their arm length is (Arm length varies with total height). 2 milliseconds is 0.002 seconds.
Oof.

I don't know how to calculate any of that stuff.

Let's say it's the average height and arm length of an American male

Could you calc it then?

Arm length is 44% that of body height on average

1.83 * 0.44 = 0.8052 m

Let's knock off 10 cm from that since the full length is for the fingers straightened out as well. 0.7052 m

0.7052 * 400 = 282.08 m

282.08 / 1= 282.08 m/s or Mach 0.8223907 (Subsonic+)

For one punch in 2 milliseconds...

0.7052 / 0.002= 352.6 m/s or Mach 1.028 (Transonic)

Arm length is 44% that of body height on average

1.83 * 0.44 = 0.8052 m

Let's knock off 10 cm from that since the full length is for the fingers straightened out as well. 0.7052 m

0.7052 * 400 = 282.08 m

282.08 / 1= 282.08 m/s or Mach 0.8223907 (Subsonic+)

For one punch in 2 milliseconds...

0.7052 / 0.002= 352.6 m/s or Mach 1.028 (Transonic)
Cool.

Thank You!

Back