• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Real Life Combat Speed Question (s)

How fast would a person be if they could dodge Keith Liddell's 45 mph punch from 1 foot away?

Additionally, How fast would they be if they could dodge Francisco Javier Galan Marin's 80 mph kick from 1 foot away?

Depends on how far the human moved compared to the punch.

How far would he have to move to completely dodge the punch and kick from 1 foot away?
1 foot or 0.3 m really isn't much breathing room to consider. But let's say half a face assuming the punch is right in their face.

Human head breadth on average is roughly 0.152 m. Half this is 0.0751

Projectile Dodging Formula: (Distance Character dodged * velocity of projectile) / Distance between projectile and character at the time of dodging

So...

45 mph= 20.1168 m/s

Speed: (0.0751 * 20.1168) / 0.3= 5.0359056 m/s combat speed (Average Human)

Last edited:
1 foot or 0.3 m really isn't much breathing room to consider. But let's say half a face assuming the punch is right in their face.

Human head breadth on average is roughly 0.152 m.

Projectile Dodging Formula: (Distance Character dodged * velocity of projectile) / Distance between projectile and character at the time of dodging

So...

45 mph= 20.1168 m/s

Speed: (0.152 * 20.1168) / 0.3= 10.192512 m/s combat speed (Peak Human)
Cool.

What about the 80.mph kick?

Cool.

What about the 80.mph kick?
Assuming it's also 0.3 m away, then you'd need to duck. Let's assume half a head height then.

Menton-to-top-of-head is 0.232 m for men. Half this is 0.116 m

80 mph is 35.7632 m/s

Speed: (0.116 * 35.7632) / 0.3= 13.83 m/s (Superhuman)

Also I screwed up with the punch calc. Fixed now. Punch calc is Average Human

Assuming it's also 0.3 m away, then you'd need to duck. Let's assume half a head height then.

Menton-to-top-of-head is 0.232 m for men. Half this is 0.116 m

80 mph is 35.7632 m/s

Speed: (0.116 * 35.7632) / 0.3= 13.83 m/s (Superhuman)
Awesome.

One final question if you don't mind.

It's not a combat speed question but I've wanted to know the answer ever since I discovered the ironclad beetle.

How durable would a 200 pound man be if they could withstand 39,000 times their own body weight being stacked on top of them?

Awesome.

One final question if you don't mind.

It's not a combat speed question but I've wanted to know the answer ever since I discovered the ironclad beetle.

How durable would a 200 pound man be if they could withstand 39,000 times their own body weight being stacked on top of them?
That'd be pressure, which is unquantifiable.

Nope, still pressure.
Damn.

Thanks for everything by the way.

That punch calc result was very disappointing.

It boggles my mind that you don't even have to be half as fast as Keith's punch to dodge it from so close a distance.

Damn.

Thanks for everything by the way.

That punch calc result was very disappointing.

It boggles my mind that you don't even have to be half as fast as Keith's punch to dodge it from so close a distance.
Yeah, it depends on how far you move compared to the projectile itself.

Yeah, it depends on how far you move compared to the projectile itself.
Goddamn.

I'm so sorry to bother you but I just remembered that catching speed feats (catching a bullet for example) are usually way better than dodging speed feats (dodging a bullet for example).

If you have the time could you calc a person catching Keith's 45 mph punch and Francisco's 80 mph kick from the same distance you calced these speeds earlier?

Goddamn.

I'm so sorry to bother you but I just remembered that catching speed feats (catching a bullet for example) are usually way better than dodging speed feats (dodging a bullet for example).

If you have the time could you calc a person catching Keith's 45 mph punch and Francisco's 80 mph kick from the same distance you calced these speeds earlier?
Too many variables for this one I'd reckon, like arm length and arcs moved by the arm.

Is it possible to use average male arm length, etc?

Or is it too difficult to quantity?
Too difficult, not every male is built the same way, even the arc movement (How many degrees were moved) can vary wildly.

Too difficult, not every male is built the same way, even the arc movement (How many degrees were moved) can vary wildly.
I just discovered that the fastest kick ever thrown was by a guy named Ronny Heberson at 131.82 mph.

Do you mind calcing the speed required to dodge that kick from 1 foot away if you have the time?

Last edited:
I just discovered that the fastest kick ever thrown was by a guy named Ronny Heberson at 131.82 mph.

Do you mind calcing the speed required to dodge that kick from 1 foot away if you have the time?
Hmmmmm...

131.82 mph is 58.93 m/s

1 foot is 0.3 m (I'd suggest instead of using foot that you use meters or other metric values).

I'll assume the distance ducked is head size. Average head height from menton-to-top-of-head is 0.232 m

Speed: (0.232 * 58.93) / 0.3= 45.5725333333 m/s (Subsonic)

Hmmmmm...

131.82 mph is 58.93 m/s

1 foot is 0.3 m (I'd suggest instead of using foot that you use meters or other metric values).

I'll assume the distance ducked is head size. Average head height from menton-to-top-of-head is 0.232 m

Speed: (0.232 * 58.93) / 0.3= 45.5725333333 m/s (Subsonic)
Spectacular!

I don't think it's possible to move much faster than 130+ mph so I shouldn't be bothering you about this again.

Thanks a bunch!

How fast would a person be if they could dodge Keith Liddell's 45 mph punch from 1 foot away?

Additionally, How fast would they be if they could dodge Francisco Javier Galan Marin's 80 mph kick from 1 foot away?
Reaction speed and Melee Range that lower than Extend Melee Range (Sword spear & Daggers melee range)
if we use Real life human at least Athletic Human to Peak Human same as reaction speed
it tricky if Keith liddel can fight Ipman in the movie with his Boxing speed at least peak human
but he still had lower tier than Ipman that had street level.
the Kick at best still athletic or Peak Human just Imagine Those guys meet Ipman in the movie.

"Use Imagination"

Reaction speed and Melee Range that lower than Extend Melee Range (Sword spear & Daggers melee range)
if we use Real life human at least Athletic Human to Peak Human same as reaction speed
it tricky if Keith liddel can fight Ipman in the movie with his Boxing speed at least peak human
but he still had lower tier than Ipman that had street level.
the Kick at best still athletic or Peak Human just Imagine Those guys meet Ipman in the movie.

"Use Imagination"
What are you even talking about LOL

What are you even talking about LOL
Below Standard Melee Range: 0 - 50 cm

• Applies to small characters.
Standard Melee Range: 50 cm - 1 m (Francisco Javier Galan Marin's 80 mph kick from 1 foot away)

• Applies to fighters using mostly their arms and legs as weapons.
  • This includes short melee weapons, such as daggers, knives, knuckledusters, etcetera.
Extended Melee Range: 1 - 3 m

• Applies to fighters who utilize long melee weaponry or have otherwise short-ranged attacks that extend beyond normal human reach.
    • It is measured, in the case of melee weaponry, by summing the arm's length to the weapon's length. In the case of an average adult, whose arm length is around 75 cm, the weapon must at least be 25 cm to qualify for Extended Melee Range.
  • Applies to weapons such as swords, flails, spears, axes, halberds and rifle bayonets.
A person be if they could dodge Keith Liddell's 45 mph punch from 1 foot away

at least peak human if no one cant do Keith Liddell's 45 mph punch from 1 foot away feat. (if Only him can do it)

Keith Liddell almost can fight Ip Man but he still had lower tier and lack super human speed.

Person who can did it should be around peak human reaction speed and cant be more than that.

if you put that person on superhuman speed feat.....

That person should be ready for Ip Man Movie lol (Am i wrong?)

put that guy to fight mike tyson(frank) character in the movie and test his speed.

No worries.
I know I said that the last time would be the last time but I keep finding faster and faster speeds.

According to the references for common feats page the fastest sword swing is possibly 217 mph so I was wondering if you could calc the speed needed to dodge that swing from 1 foot away if it isn't too much trouble?

I know I said that the last time would be the last time but I keep finding faster and faster speeds.

According to the references for common feats page the fastest sword swing is possibly 217 mph so I was wondering if you could calc the speed needed to dodge that swing from 1 foot away if it isn't too much trouble?
Are these speeds peer-reviewed and accepted by scientists?

Last edited:
I found a link for the 217 mph bb gun pellet cut by a guy named Isao Machi: https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/watch-modern-day-samurai-slice-bb-pellet-217-miles-per-hour/ ]
That was calc'd by us to be Superhuman sadly. He didn't move that much farther than the pellet.

Since Projectile Dodging Formula is this: (Distance moved by character * Projectile Velocity) / Distance between Projectile and Character when the dodging started

You need to move more distance than the projectile and be closer to the projectile in order to scale to its velocity.

Meaning, if a speeding projectile is 1 meter away from your face, you also have to move 1 meter or higher to scale to its speed.

I also found a link to an even better 440 mph sword swing from the same guy: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/98219-fastest-tennis-ball-cut-by-sword ]
Would unfortunately wield same results.

That was calc'd by us to be Superhuman sadly. He didn't move that much farther than the pellet.

Since Projectile Dodging Formula is this: (Distance moved by character * Projectile Velocity) / Distance between Projectile and Character when the dodging started

You need to move more distance than the projectile and be closer to the projectile in order to scale to its velocity.

Meaning, if a speeding projectile is 1 meter away from your face, you also have to move 1 meter or higher to scale to its speed.

Would unfortunately wield same results.
These are hypothetical scenarios.

I'm aware that it's not possible to actually dodge an 80 mph kick from 1 foot away for example.

So..........

Dodging a 217 mph sword swing from 1 foot away and dodging a 440 mph sword swing from 1 foot away.

Can you calc the results?

These are hypothetical scenarios.

I'm aware that it's not possible to actually dodge an 80 mph kick from 1 foot away for example.

So..........

Dodging a 217 mph sword swing from 1 foot away and dodging a 440 mph sword swing from 1 foot away.

Can you calc the results?
In what manner is the sword being swung? Horizontal slash, or vertical? And is the slash in front of the person or to the side of the person?

Back