• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Raimiverse Spider-Man Intelligence and Abilities Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonkitt

He/Him
VS Battles
Retired
I'd like to tackle the ratings for this verse too, but I figure it's safer to take one step at a time. Better to cover the basics first:

Intelligence

Intelligence: Genius (Understood all of Norman Osborn's research, including on the topic nanotechnology, writing a paper on said topic much to Norman's approval. Has been referred to as "brilliant" by Curt Connors, who is a quantum physics scientist. His intellect impressed Otto Octavius, who built his mechanical arms and a self-sustaining nuclear fusion reactor which could sustain a protostar. Peter considered that the fusion of Otto's reactor would become unstable, which was ultimately true, with the latter even admitting that Parker was correct. Harry Osborn and Gwen Stacy have called Peter a genius, with Gwen herself being a lab worker in Curt Connors' lab)

Abilities
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Genius Intelligence, Martial Arts, Web Creation, Acrobatics (Was granted incredible agility as one of his powers. Positioned his body in mid-air while being thrown as to slip through a walkway. Narrowly dodged flying blades directed at him), Regeneration (Low; Has healed in a matter of hours after receiving cuts and scars from his battles with Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and New Goblin to name a few. When partially depowered, Peter sprained his back after falling down an alley against a wall and two cars, but had healed it off later in the day), Stealth Mastery (Vanished from Mary Jane's sight and reappeared behind her from above before she had the chance to turn around. Silently jumped onto the ceiling as Aunt May entered his room. Moved from a ceiling to the bottom of an outside balcony before Norman could notice. Made a silent entry into the Osborn Penthouse), Enhanced Awareness and Self-Perception Manipulation (His Spider-Sense gives Peter cognitive abilities and reflexes that border on precognition which allows him to detect oncoming dangers, allowing him to experience an out-of-body spatial awareness. Was warned of a bully's attempt to sneak attack him. Was alerted of the attack on the World Unity Festival by Green Goblin moments before it occurred. Detected Green Goblin's Glider attack from behind him. When he was partially depowered, he picked up on a car being tossed towards him and Mary Jane. Gave Peter an accurate view of the tracks for an out of control train was about to end. Alerted Peter of a Pumpkin Bomb being thrown at him, allowing him to send it back at Harry. Peter's senses grant him awareness of his surroundings, even being capable of focusing in on the sound of a fly within a noisy hallway. Precisely relocated a wedding ring during an ambush that was falling towards the ground after being pulled a few city blocks away from it. Could focus on countering and redirecting Pumpkin Bombs trailing him with his back facing the direction he was propelling towards), Surface Scaling (Most commonly used to perform wall-crawling. Can also be used to stick onto moving objects effortlessly, capable of fighting on the side of a moving train. The strength of his wall-crawling makes it difficult for opponents to budge his position from moving surfaces while being hit)

Thoughts?

EDIT: I've altered the abilities section to fit with what Null had proposed for the Spider-Sense

Last edited:
I agree with everything except Precognition. I was actually planning on creating a thread about that earlier, but there is no need now.

Anywayn, instead of Precognition, Peter should have Enhanced Awareness and Self-Perception Manipulation through Spider-Sense.

As explained by one of the scientists in the scene where Peter gets bitten by the radioactive spider...
While many believe this ability to be precognitive, the crab spider simply just has reflexes and cognitive abilities that border on the supernatural; this gives off the illusion that the spider can sense danger before its conception, when the spider is actually detecting the danger as it is arriving.

On top of that, the screenplay describes his fight with Flash as though Peter was experiencing some sort of out-of-body spatial awareness, which falls in-line with spiders being highly sensitive to even low-level vibrations, strengthening their ability to navigate through the surrounding areas. It is also where his Self-Perception Manipulation comes from.

I agree with everything except Precognition. I was actually planning on creating a thread about that earlier, but there is no need now.

Anywayn, instead of Precognition, Peter should have Enhanced Awareness and Self-Perception Manipulation through Spider-Sense.

As explained by one of the scientists in the scene where Peter gets bitten by the radioactive spider...

While many believe this ability to be precognitive, the crab spider simply just has reflexes and cognitive abilities that border on the supernatural; this gives off the illusion that the spider can sense danger before its conception, when the spider is actually detecting the danger as it is arriving.

On top of that, the screenplay describes his fight with Flash as though Peter was experiencing some sort of out-of-body spatial awareness, which falls in-line with spiders being highly sensitive to even low-level vibrations, strengthening their ability to navigate through the surrounding areas. It is also where his Self-Perception Manipulation comes from.
This is a really solid argument. Though I should bring up that this shot officially calls it precognition. Peter detecting Green Goblin before he attacked the Festival also seems to stray away from the description the scientist gave

That said, the screen calling it precog does come from the same lab that the scientist was explaining the spiders at, so an argument can still be made that the Raimiverse Spider-Sense falls more in line with your proposal (plus the screenplay supports that as its from the literal people behind the movie)

I don't think that's pressure points. I think Peter just punched him hard.

Admittedly I was thinking the same thing and was hoping for input on that (a bit rare for these kind of revisions so that's on me)
Gonna remove that and wait for Null's response since I'd like to sort out the Spider-Sense deal

So I was reading the novelizations for the other CRTs and I found some interesting quotes. If they're useful for a rating I can get novel screen shots and we can use that.
He made one final effort to stand, but it would have been impossible to tell by looking at him, because he didn’t budge from the floor. Instead he curled up even tighter, his arms clutching around his legs, drawing his knees up to just under his chin. His eyes rolled up into the top of his head, and the final jolt of pain was too overwhelming for him to handle. With a final, low moan, he passed out dead away. Under his lids, his eyes continued to flutter.

Tortured dreams cascaded through his mind, and he was climbing a strand of DNA, and suddenly the strand was twisting around and back on him, and it broke down into strands of thin, gossamer consistency that were like fluttering threads from a spider’s web. He struggled to break free of them, and then he saw a spider descending toward him, except Flash’s face was reflected in one of its eyes, and Mary Jane’s dad in another, and M. J. was standing to the side with her friends, posing for pictures and laughing, and as Peter screamed, his voice made no sound, no sound at all . . . and there was a screeching in his head, like something was trying to warn him of incredible danger.

And the spider was coming closer and closer, and it seemed to be talking to him; he thought he could hear its voice in his head . . . but most of what it was saying was incomprehensible. Just two words echoed in his head . . . great power . . . great power . . . all the things he’d wanted to do, everything he’d ever wanted . . . popularity, and Mary Jane, and wiping that smug look off Flash’s face, all of it, his for the taking, except he didn’t want it, he just wanted to wake up, wake up. . . .

Spider-Man (2002) page 85
He made his way into the darkened building, which turned out to be a warehouse. Whereas before he’d been reluctant to trust his spider sense, now he utterly turned himself over to its guidance. It didn’t take long at all. Despite the grim blackness of the interior, he zeroed in on his prey, locating him on the second floor of the dilapidated structure.

Spider-Man (2002) page179
Panic welled within him… but faded just as quickly. He felt an almost soothing sense of peace and well-being, so much so that it never occurred to him to question it. He stopped to study, really study, the way his reflection appeared in the building. Not satisfied with the distance, he vaulted free of the webline and landed on the building's side. He flexed one arm, then the other; amazingly, his muscles were larger.

He felt stronger too, nearly bursting I with power. It was as if he were reborn… no. More than that. He was truly alive for the first time in his life.

It wasn't just the strength he sensed burgeoning within him. He was more attuned not only to his own body, but to the entirety of the city as well. The full potential of his spider-sense pulsed in his brain—as if invisible weblines radiated in every direction, and he was at their center. Just as with a real spider, any small vibration in any of the lines instantly caught his attention.

Spider-Man 3 (2007) page 184
The black-suited Spider-Man ran. Moving at break-neck speed, he sprinted down the face of the building and then leaped powerfully. He somersaulted in midair, bounded off a lower rooftop, and landed with perfect precision upon a narrow ledge. Not something that would have been beyond his abilities to accomplish before… but not this effortlessly. He would have been looking ahead, calculating distances, making sure that he could pull it off. Instead, as if his body no longer needed his conscious mind to function, he simply leaped into action, moving with far greater sureness and facility than ever before.

"No problem," he said, confirming it for himself. "How'd I do that?" He caught his reflection in the mirrored glass, turned this way and that, said, "Gotta be this suit. But how did… ?"

As a scientist, his first impulse was to go home, remove the suit (presuming he could), and find some way to study it. It was the height of recklessness to be throwing himself around hundreds of feet in the air without the slightest true comprehension of what this… this thing… could and could not do.

But the impulse was quickly smothered, again by some part of his mind that wasn't his.

This time, though, Peter started to fight it. Although he didn't consciously experience it, part of his core personality started to rise through the "static" that the suit was creating within his mind, like a deep-sea diver in distress, struggling back toward the surface.

The alien symbiote—for that was what had attached itself to him—fought for its own survival. It reached deep within Peter, found that which was most distressing him, then plucked the single strand on Peter's newly heightened spider-sense that would lead him straight to his quarry.

Peter, not realizing that the symbiote had triggered the response, suddenly knew, just knew, exactly where Flint Marko was. Something in his head did a fast "zoom in," a movie unspooling in his brain just for him, and his concerns about the creature bore no further thought. Instinct kicked into overdrive as Peter bounded away from the building, webbing down toward the street, moving dangerously fast. Peter Parker wasn't the only individual in the city with a police band.

Spider-Man 3 (2007) pages 184-185

Also Sandman has like, AoE eyes
That his eyes were in the front of his head was an arbitrary decision on his part. His body was aware of everything around him, in all directions; he was just the most accustomed to looking forward. But now he suddenly "saw" the shadows moving on the ceiling behind him… one shadow in particular.

Spider-Man 3 (2007) pages 189

I'll try to see if they're other stuff

Hmmm
Peter’s number-one priority, as he whirled about to see that Mary Jane was still on the pier. Octavius, the fusion reactor, the fate of New York, all paled for the moment as Peter screamed, “Mary Jane! No!” and leaped toward her with a speed that officially made him the fastest land animal in existence.

Spider-Man 2 page 309

Oh, I honestly thought I was the only person around here who was aware of the novelizations. Where did you get your hands on these?

Where did you get your hands on these?
I had them stored in my computer from forever ago when I was getting a bunch of Star Wars and D&D stuff.

Also it looks like Venom has spider-sense as well, though the scene is sorta different from the movie so I don't know how legit that is
"I sensed you," replied the newcomer. He reached out and plucked invisible strings in the air. "I saw a particular vibration along a particular line that only I could see and followed it right to you."

Spider-Man 3 page 275
Also the comic thing is canon to the films
Peter had, in fact, although he didn't give it much thought.

What he had not seen was the cabbie in the taxi that had picked up Mary Jane. When Mary Jane had settled into the backseat, a leering Eddie Brock had turned in the seat and said, "Where to, ma'am?"

Nor did Peter see the body of the cab's legitimate owner, since it had been dumped in an alleyway some blocks away.

Nor, worst of all, did his spider-sense tell him that anything was wrong, because the symbiote was now invisible to his spider-sense. If Eddie Brock had come up to Peter on a subway platform and tried to push him in front of an oncoming train, Peter would never have known about it until it was too late. So it was that Peter Parker went home, feeling that he hadn't accomplished anything the entire day, and unaware that his day was only just beginning.

Spider-Man 3 page 277

It wouldn't be out of place for Venom to have it despite the difference in the comics. In "The Black" (a comic canon to the Raimiverse which I plan to cover for one of Eddie's abilities), he states that anything Peter can do, he can do as well

I’m pretty sure in that same novel it’s stated venom can like shatter mountains
The only mentions of mountains in the novel is when Harry is talking about visiting India. Where are you getting shattering mountains from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back