• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about Speed Equalization

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm a bit confused here.

So when speed is equalized, the characters are dead even in combat speed, reactions, etc. However, what about characters with speed augmenting abilities?

For instance, say there is a match between character A and B.

A is normal in this case, but B has an ability which is crucial for his/her fighting style, that increases speed. Does this ability get taken away? Does it do nothing all of a sudden? How does this work?

Thanks.

IIRC, speed increasing techniques are usually allowed unless explicitly disabled or mentioned to not function as a speed increase in the case of the battle.

Yea. Character B loses that ability, or at least that ability's capability of increasing speed. For example, Pikachu's agility would do nothing, Kirby's warpstar's only purpose would be for easier flight, and Kaioken would only increase strength.

In a speed equalized match all speed is equal, nullifying speed amping effects and abilities.

WeeklyBattles said:
In a speed equalized match all speed is equal, nullifying speed amping effects and abilities.
This seems incredibly counter-intuitive in an incredibly large number of scenarios, mostly involving specific attacks.

Like Cal said above, stuff like Pikachu's Agility, the speed increase of Kirby's Warpstar, and the speed boost of Kaioken, as well as abilities like Raiden's Blade Mode and Ruby's Semblance would all be canceled out as they would allow for a speedblitz.

WeeklyBattles said:
Like Cal said above, stuff like Pikachu's Agility, the speed increase of Kirby's Warpstar, and the speed boost of Kaioken, as well as abilities like Raiden's Blade Mode and Ruby's Semblance would all be canceled out as they would allow for a speedblitz.
Obvious and massive speed boosts would be accounted for in the OP if that was something either combatant used.

Equalizing the speed of everything is ridiculous, unless you are specifically referring to the characters themselves. Attacks should still move at a speed that matches their normal relation to the user, as opposed to moving at the same speed as the user.

Edit: In case I am not being clear, since I am very tired, I am referring to attacks that move faster than the user does not being equalized, as opposed to direct and permanent increases to the user's speed.

Yeah, attack speed i've always been unsure about...I just know that everything else is equalized

Attack speeds stay the same sort of. Unless it's something crazily above your normal speed like Jirachi's Doom Desire or Lavos' "Destruction Rains From The Heavens" or whatever it's called.

The real cal howard said:
Attack speeds stay the same sort of. Unless it's something crazily above your normal speed like Jirachi's Doom Desire or Lavos' "Destruction Rains From The Heavens" or whatever it's called.
This seems incredibly arbitrary to me, honestly. I feel that this should be explained more in detail under the rules, so that we can get more precise VS. bouts.

It seems like in principle, speed amplification should still be allowed. E.g. if Goku is fighting another character where speed is equalized, they'll have equal speed until Goku uses Kaioken. I think only base speed should be equalized.

We could debate this till the end of time but never get a logical conclusion, because equalising speed to begin with is illogical, but necessary for more fair matches that would be impossible otherwise.

I myself find it silly if a thread is speed equalised and to then say speed is a reason for someone winning. something like Goku's Kaioken shouldn't get the usual speed increase.

As for attack speed it was brought up before but the result was inconclusive.

Should we just say that the thread OP has to be more specific then? Like if I made a vs match with Goku and equalized speed, but wanted Kaioken to amplify it, should I say something along the lines of "Speed Equalized without Kaioken" or "Speed equalized at base, but Statistics Amplification allowed for all stats" or something?

LordAizenSama said:
We could debate this till the end of time but never get a logical conclusion, because equalising speed to begin with is illogical, but neccessary for more fair matches that would be impossible otherwise.
I myself find it silly if a thread is speed equalised and to then say speed is a reason for someone winning. something like Goku's Kaioken shouldn't get the usual speed increase.

As for attack speed it was brought up before but the result was inconclusive.
I agree that this is a subject that could go on endlessly due to to it being inherently illogical, but I think there could be a set rules made so that we don't make our own conclusions that may be false. Seems that right now, what speed equalization means is that all speed related things are equal, everything else is a mystery in the ether.

Back