• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

question about "layers"

let's take character A who has resistance to soul manipulation
character A resisted soul manipulation from character Z
then there is character B

now that character A couldn't resist character B's soul manipulation ability

that would mean character B's soul manipulation is layered

however, let's take character C from another series

character C's resistance to soul manip scales way above character D's resistance who scales way above character E who scales above character F who resisted soul manipulation once

a whole lot of characters i know but in a verse battle, would we instantly assume character B's soul manipulation to bypass character's resistance to it, that character C's resitance would not be penetrated or is there something else to do here?

Character A has one layer of soul manipulation resistance. Character B has 2 layers potency of soul manipulation. Character C has 3 layers of resistance. Character B is not bypassing character C's resistance, unless there's another scaling chain for B.

Character A has one layer of soul manipulation resistance. Character B has 2 layers potency of soul manipulation. Character C has 3 layers of resistance. Character B is not bypassing character C's resistance, unless there's another scaling chain for B.
aight so we do take scaling chains into consideration, thanks for the reply,

if you could kindly answer another question of mine, i would be thankful

it's about invisible attacks

invisible attacks are deeme as such because they bypass a character's senses

if there is a character A who can sens invisible attacks that character B who himslef can also sens them failed to do so

then there is character C whose senses scale way above character D who also senses invisible attacks, but character D himself has way better feats for enhanced senses than character A

would we consider that the invisible attack would work agaisnt character D in that scenario?

and if it does, would character C at least be able to sens them?

sorry, and thanks for your time

character C's resistance to soul manip scales way above character D's resistance who scales way above character E who scales above character F who resisted soul manipulation once

a whole lot of characters i know but in a verse battle, would we instantly assume character B's soul manipulation to bypass character's resistance to it, that character C's resitance would not be penetrated or is there something else to do here?
Is character C just a scaling chain? Like, F has shown resistance, but E simply scales above him? Like, was there a feat where a soul manip worked on F but didn't work on E? If not, and it's simply just a scaling chain, then we don't assume they are layers.

There are exceptions, of course. For example, it depends on how the story present the power system or smth. In Chinese novels, there are say soul abilities that work on realm 3, but don't work on realm 4, unless the character himself levels up his realm to 4. Logically, you can then assume each level is a layer.

Is character C just a scaling chain? Like, F has shown resistance, but E simply scales above him? Like, was there a feat where a soul manip worked on F but didn't work on E? If not, and it's simply just a scaling chain, then we don't assume they are layers.

There are exceptions, of course. For example, it depends on how the story present the power system or smth. In Chinese novels, there are say soul abilities that work on realm 3, but don't work on realm 4, unless the character himself levels up his realm to 4. Logically, you can then assume each level is a layer.
the characters in question were stated to have better resistance, or as they grow stronger so does their resistance

also, would you kindly answer this?

if there is a character A who can sens invisible attacks that character B who himslef can also sens them failed to do so

then there is character C whose senses scale way above character D who also senses invisible attacks, but character D himself has way better feats for enhanced senses than character A

would we consider that the invisible attack would work agaisnt character D in that scenario?

the characters in question were stated to have better resistance, or as they grow stronger so does their resistance
Then that honestly needs more context. Their showings, feats, etc... Though based on this alone, I can't reliably assume they are layers.

As for this, the wording makes this a bit confusing. I assume you mean:
Character A can sense invisible attacks that B, who can also sense invisible attacks, couldn't. Then there is Character C that senses invisible attacks and is above Character D. Character D, however, has better Enhanced Senses feat than Character A.
Is that what you meant?

If so, then it depends on if Character D's senses were stated to be on par/above A. So, it depends on the context. If in-verse, it was stated that D/C are above A in senses or other matters depending on context, then invisible attacks would probably won't work against them.

Then that honestly needs more context. Their showings, feats, etc... Though based on this alone, I can't reliably assume they are layers.

As for this, the wording makes this a bit confusing. I assume you mean:
Character A can sense invisible attacks that B, who can also sense invisible attacks, couldn't. Then there is Character C that senses invisible attacks and is above Character D. Character D, however, has better Enhanced Senses feat than Character A.
Is that what you meant?
yes but

If so, then it depends on if Character D's senses were stated to be on par/above A. So, it depends on the context. If in-verse, it was stated that D/C are above A in senses or other matters depending on context, then invisible attacks would probably won't work against them.
i'm talking in a verse battle

layers are confusing because the context for them isn't really put into prespective

i mean that character D can, for example, sens attacks with no intent behind them while under a spell that puts him in a state of deep sleep

however, character A in this scenario does not have any other feats for his senses or they're all worse than character D's

and character C 100% has sgnificantly better senses than character D

so would character D or C be able to sens the attacks?

also did the genius duelist novel finally end because i want to read it, and you seem to be a fan

high five mate

So the attack works by having more Stealth and Invisibility. Character A can sense the invisible attacks but character B can sense them but he failed to sense them. That gives Character A I guess resistance to Invisibility, Stealth Mastery or you can list it as enhanced senses depending on the verse with one layer. Character B is not layered just basic.

Character C senses > Character D senses > Character A senses. Invisible attacks will not work against Character A and above.

As for the layers. Proving layers is usually done by Character resisting and then the same character getting affected by someone else. Statements about being stronger or have better resistance usually will need feats behind it depending on the power system of the verse.

So the attack works by having more Stealth and Invisibility. Character A can sense the invisible attacks but character B can sense them but he failed to sense them. That gives Character A I guess resistance to Invisibility, Stealth Mastery or you can list it as enhanced senses depending on the verse with one layer. Character B is not layered just basic.

Character C senses > Character D senses > Character A senses. Invisible attacks will not work against Character A and above.

As for the layers. Proving layers is usually done by Character resisting and then the same character getting affected by someone else. Statements about being stronger or have better resistance usually will need feats behind it depending on the power system of the verse.
thanks for your time

i truly appreciate it

Back