• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about in-universe data characters

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I'm legitimately confused on how data beings are treated in the wiki.

From what I understand, beings made of data are 10-C, and some incredibly weak ones at that, because they are basically moving clumps of electrons. Of course, there is a degree of leeway given, about data characters being treated as a more physical thing (Megaman Battle Network is a bad example but it is the best I could think of... Maybe Shin Megami Tensei and Digimon?... Idk much about those), but the ones that are treated as data like, say, Animator V.S. Animation series, fit within the definition that I described.

Now, I heavily disagree in treating them like that, and I don't trust my capacity of debate to properly illustrate my points. I can do it here if anyone is interested in hearing it, but I believe it is mostly a opinion thing; Personally, I think the data characters feats' within their universes, except in special cases, should be treated as a feat in itself (For example, in Animator Vs. Animation, scale the Chosen One to the general devastation he does), and work out a system that justifies it, as I believe doing so gives a far more interesting character analysis and one that allows for using the character as it is shown in the dataworld. But okay, fair is fair, I'll assume that I won't manage to convince anyone and that the things should stay as it is.

Given that... Why do you guys scale their speed differently? I mean, if they are a bunch of electrons inside a data device, moved around by electrical mechanisms that I won't feign to even begin to understand, why is, say, the profile in The Chosen One from Animator Vs. Animation Supersonic? Are the electrons within the machine moving at supersonic speeds? I get that he dodged bullets, and I'd fully agree in scaling him if we were considering the dataworld as a physical thing, even a pseudo-one only applicable to those within the data-world, but if we are treating them as data beings, the bullets the Chosen One dodges are just more electrons, everything within are just a bunch of electrons that only "move" from one side of the screen to the other, as we see. Any instances that seem like superspeed, like the Chosen One Vs. Dark Lord fight in AVA4 (I think?), that the Chosen One seemed to launch into orbit pretty much instantly, in a data point of view, wasn't actually super speed, it was just electrons changing position and being "programmed" by computer inputs to make it seem that he went fast.

I'm not expressing myself well, I know, my point is that data as we visually see displayed on our screens do not have a "true" speed, at least not without going to extremes (I think Relativistic+, as electrons can move of a max of 99% of SoL). Through programming and scripting, any object can have any "perceived" speed, or no speed at all. This isn't the example I wanted to give, but it will suffice. Look at this video of a man shooting a gun in slow motion. As you might notice, obviously, the bullet in real life is Supersonic, no doubts about that. If, however, we interpret it purely from a visual, scripting data standpoint, looking at it as a linear movement from a side of the screen to the other? That bullet flowed some centimeters per second, because the slow mo desaccelerated the bullet massively, and the bullet traveled a certain amount of space in a certain amount of frames per second. How would a data character react to this? Would they be desaccelerated too? Would they react to things at the same speed as we react to them seeing them from our screens?

It just doesn't make sense to me for them to see the gun at supersonic speeds, as that speed is the speed of a gun in real life, not the speed of the data that is displayed visually in the shape of a gun, nor of the electrons that can move at speeds rivaling those of light. I'm fine with considering either end for the sake of consistency with a data character.

In fact, not only the speed, but everything else ignores the reasons why they are 10-C, and the profiles seem less like a data character and more like a normal profile with electron-level AP and Dura. The powers and abilities should be vastly different, as with the contents of the profile.

This probably won't change anything and my lack of debate skills and in english will probably make me unable to respond well, but I truly hope I managed to communicate what I wanted to express here.

I've never understood why data characters that haven't been shown to actually affect the real world get crazy AP level feats themselves but I guess it's a factor of site-indexing and verse equalization. Otherwise no one could really do verse fights with Kirito avatar stuff and you'd get the age old meme of 'goku unplugs Kirito from the game'.

Personally I'd like to consider characters whose feats only exist in the dataworld scale to physical stuff, even if only for verse indexing purposes. It makes for more interesting character indexing.

But that's secondary, I'm assuming I won't be able to convince anyone of that. My main point here is that the treatment is very inconsistent.

Back