• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Powering a city for 300 years

AlipheeseXIV

He/Him
A quick question, If a character is capable of powering a city for 300 years how much energy output would be required to do this?

It depends on the city size and the average energy consumption per person.

You can calculate this if you can find the average annual energy consumption of the city in question.
Makes sense, can one of you humor me for a bit then and tell me what you'd calc the energy output needed to sustain an average sized city with 50,000 residents in it then? @CNBA3

Makes sense, can one of you humor me for a bit then and tell me what you'd calc the energy output needed to sustain an average sized city with 50,000 residents in it then? @CNBA3
I am doing a quick calculation here so take this at face value, I am using the US as reference per capita (per person) which is 77,028 kwh multiply by the 50000 residents which equals 3851400000 kwh.

Then you divide by hours which are in 300 years (2.628e+6 hours). And you would get 1465.53 Kilowatts

Assumptions:-
Population = P = 100000
Average energy consumption per person per year = E = 77,028 kWh (thanks @CNBA3 for the reference)

Calc:
P*E*300 = 2.31084e+12 kWh
In joules this would be = 8.319024e+18 Joules
Which is High 7-A

Edit: Assuming the character output this much energy in one second or in one attack. If not then divide the yield by the timeframe of the character outputting this much energy to get AP or sumn.

Edit 2: I used 100000 as the population. For 50000 just divide the final number by 2. Still should be around baseline High 7-A.

Last edited:
Assumptions:-
Population = P = 100000
Average energy consumption per person per year = E = 77,028 kWh (thanks @CNBA3 for the reference)

Calc:
P*N*300 = 2.31084e+12 kWh
In joules this would be = 8.319024e+18 Joules
Which is High 7-A

Edit: Assuming the character output this much energy in one second or in one attack. If not then divide the yield by the timeframe of the character outputting this much energy to get AP or sumn.

Edit 2: I used 100000 as the population. For 50000 just divide the final number by 2. Still should be around baseline High 7-A.
Okay sorry, humor me just once more. I'm unfortunately not a calc person, but would you be able to assume the city had 100x the energy output and the 'city' in question was the size of an island roughly 30 miles in length. Would that still be H7A, or would it be higher?

Okay sorry, humor me just once more. I'm unfortunately not a calc person, but would you be able to assume the city had 100x the energy output and the 'city' in question was the size of an island roughly 30 miles in length. Would that still be H7A, or would it be higher?
I am not sure I am understanding you correctly, but are you saying each person in this city is consuming 100x the energy as someone irl would? And the population is also greater than an average city because it is island sized? If so then do you know how densely populated this city is? Like New York? or a medium sized city.

Edit: For reference, the longest straight line (diagonal) you can possibly measure in New York is 35 miles. But New York is very densely populated.

Last edited:
I am not sure I am understanding you correctly, but are you saying each person in this city is consuming 100x the energy as someone irl would? And the population is also greater than an average city because it is island sized? If so then do you know how densely populated this city is? Like New York? or a medium sized city.
Yes, consider the each person in this city is consuming 100x the energy as your previous calc, the population is roughly 50,000 people. I'm more interested in seeing what the 100x increase in power would bring from H7A

Yes, consider the each person in this city is consuming 100x the energy as your previous calc, the population is roughly 50,000 people. I'm more interested in seeing what the 100x increase in power would bring from H7A
In that case, from my previous calc, a city with the population of 50000 would be half of my final yield. Additionally if each person consumed 100x the energy then the total energy would be multiplied by 100.

So in this case the final yield would be: 4.159512e+20 Joules
Which is 6-C (just below the upper end of 6-C specifically)

In that case, from my previous calc, a city with the population of 50000 would be half of my final yield. Additionally if each person consumed 100x the energy then the total energy would be multiplied by 100.

So in this case the final yield would be: 4.159512e+20 Joules
Which is 6-C (just below the upper end of 6-C specifically)
Thank you

Back