• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Power Nullification for (Kid) Goku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the title alone might be a bit controversial, but bare with me, and please don't rush to comment before reading the entire CRT.

So, while looking into the Daizenshuu a bit again, I stumbled upon an interesting scan regarding Goku's ''Kamehameha Return'' he used against Jackie Chun in the 21st tournament. It says the following:

On its own this would probably not be as special, but there's another scan in the Daizenshuu regarding the same technique that says something similar:

So, at least in the Daizenshuu, it's a pretty consistent conclusion that Goku's Kamehameha negated Roshi's Kamehameha. Of course I wanted to know what the manga had to say about it, so here's a few sources with their translations of what happened:

Viz:

Kanzenban scanlation:

Jasonsith, from the Official Translation Request Thread:

All translations are seemingly different.. Viz's says Goku used the Kamehameha to block it, while Kanzenban's verbatim states Goku canceled out Roshi's Kamehameha. Jasonsith's translation seems to be a bit in the middle. And while it doesn't verbatim say Goku canceled it out, I do think ''suppress'' supports it more than anything else.

Conclusion:

There's two Daizenshuu scans saying Goku erased/negated Roshi's Kamehameha and one manga translation saying Goku canceled out Roshi's Kamehameha to support Goku having Power Nullification. Jasonsith's translation arguably supports it, and only one translation says something completely different. That should probably be enough to give DB Goku Power Nullification.

Please don't flame me

That's not really power nullification. If we counted this then any character who has clashed attacks and "Cancelled" the other out would have power nullification.

Canceling out attacks with sheer ap is just how power works.
There's two other, different statements used in the post.

There's two other, different statements used in the post.
Yes, he suppressed/nullified an attack by using an attack of equal force. 10 Power - 10 Power = 0, anyone whose as strong or stronger than someone else can do such.

Plus even if we gave Goku power nullification for this, it would be useless. Anyone as strong as him or stronger would nullify his Ki Attacks by that logic and it wouldn't work on anything but attacks like the Kamehameha.

For future reference...
Power Nullification, or Negation, is the ability to simply nullify the powers and abilities of others, negating their effects.
Destroying an energy blast with an equally powerful or stronger energy blast is not "simply nullifying" the former. It is countering.

This may occur due to the clash of the two energies or what is commonly called the kamekameha and the kamekameha that one or the one with superior strength can destroy the power of the other kamekameha.

Even in real life you can nullify the force of an attack with a more powerful attack in the opposite direction, such as being able to block a punch and push it back

Goku's Kamehameha cancel is that, but apply that to an energy blast rather than a fist

Disagree FRA

Why would we assume it's done via AP when nothing remotely suggests this. I'd understand it if there was only the ''cancel out'' statement, but the two Daizenshuu statements are pretty straightforward.

''A technique where a Kamehameha is erased by another Kamehameha.''

1) Argument from semantics. Just because it said erase doesn't mean it wasn't AP like how it is usually portrayed as

2) Erase is a vague word with different meanings

1. Sematic
2. Stronger Ki user can use their ki control to suppress weaker ki blast, like what Toppo did in Zeno Expo or Complete UI Goku did to Jiren full-powered Ki blast in anime, cancel out Ki blast, disperse it

Why would we assume it's done via AP when nothing remotely suggests this.
"when nothing remotely suggests this"

0047-012.png

IQaRzim.png

y03YCl8.png

I have to disagree with this CRT too based on what has been posted just above.

"when nothing remotely suggests this"
Already posted two alternative translations that both say something else. (Also just checked Herms' Strength Checker. He also states Goku canceled it out, and translates it to ''suppress''.)
''Countering'' does not suggest strength was used. You can counter with hax, too.
Fair point. But that shouldn't hold much weight when multiple statements say otherwise.

There'd also be no reason for Roshi to be suprised in this situation by a regular Kamehameha, since he's aware Goku can use it.

Oh.. I should've read it before commenting. Still doesn't refute Goku nullifying it, though.

Eh, it just seems like the two kamehameha waves were placed into a beam struggle when Goku fired his to counter Roshi’s.

Not powernull FRA

Yeah, you're talking in circles now. Outside of one scan, nothing supports it being done via strength, and I've already provided multiple scans saying otherwise.
''A technique where a Kamehameha is erased by another Kamehameha.''
But since talking in circles is probably the only thing that will happen from here, this thread can probably be closed now.

The OP asked me to close this thread. Is that fine?

Okay. I will do so then. Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back