• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possibly Detonation Velocity revisions

Qawsedf234

VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
Currently we use detonation velocity in a lot of stuff, but this is what detonation velocity is: "Explosive velocity, also known as detonation velocity or velocity of detonation (VoD), is the velocity at which the shock wave front travels through a detonated explosive."

Now if you read the above you'll notice something extremely important: "the shock wave front travels through a detonated explosive."

In other words detonation velocity is the speed that the wave moves in the explosive and not the speed to moves at initially.

Using this official UN calculator I'm going to use two examples: TNT, which has a detonation velocity of 6,900 m/s, and C4 which has one at 8,092 m/s

So any speed calc using detonation velocity is only valid if the feat happened under about 10 centimeters away from the explosive. Any further and the shockwave would massively be reduced in speed.

Wew

I don't really deal in explosive science I just think this makes sense

Huh. That seems extremely important and could affect quite a lot of calcs.

Oh my, that'll affect a lot of stuff but this seems correct to me as well. Though I'm certainty not an expert on this stuff.

Bump?

Was there a reason this was dropped, this seems like it's pretty important.

This was brought up long ago by Xcano, I had the impression that people took into account and limited these calcs (but I retired from calcs long ago too, so I had no idea it was implemented).

If its included in there, then yeah. This isn't super important.

Back