• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possibility of allowing fan-made canon characters back into FC/OC Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossverseCrisis

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Alright so apparently, Lord Kavpeny here told me in private that the new wiki that i mentioned to like only a couple users here about it (it's done already but there are still things that need to be put into work on them) said that putting them on another wiki seemed....unnessary. He didn't say it was a bad idea like i have told a couple of the other admins here (sorry. ^^;). I was just told that maybe i could just allow this by changing up the rules here without having to resort to another wiki (the one i mentioned above is still a good alternative, i say. When that is done, i'll edit the OP here n leave a link to said wiki).

Now before i go into all this, y'all might be thinking "Oh so we just had some of our fanon pages deleted and now there's the likely chance we can make them again!?". Well this may not be correct but this will be, i guess *shrugs*.

Anyways, i decided to make this thread on what y'all think about making fan-made versions of existing characters will do for this wiki plus what the bad and good things can be for here.

Do note that IF this was to happen again, there are going to be rules laid out regarding the makings of these kinds of characters. And when i mean by rules, there's going to be tight regulations on the makings of them. Steve has made some rules that he and Prom made the other day in private, so he'll help in explaning how they will be and work if he can as well as Prom.

In the case that wiki is done being made, you can make them over there as i mentioned above.

Two last things:

1) This will likely take a long time to finalize as i am still very against the idea of having certain fan-made versions of existing characters here such as those of the Son Goku clones and perhaps those like that of the fan versions of Naruto like those from FanFiction.Net (if you don't know what i mean, please look at some of the fanfics there of Naruto. You'll definitely know what i mean).

2) 2nd and last thing to have in mind. Let's say all of us are fine with the makings of having these types of characters made, right? So it goes surprisingly well but after sometime later we end having with like several versions of Goku (like what happened last year) or that of Naruto and such. Basically what i'm trying to say is that if we end flooding this site with multiple versions of the same character, then i will have to completely ban these types of characters forever. (More will be talked about as we go through with this thread).

Anyways, first i'd like to hear what peoples thoughts are when it comes to making fan-made canon characters plus what are the good and bad things about them. Then after that, we'll get into the rules when making said characters and such.

Oh and no pages of these kind are to be made while this thread is being made. Doing so will result in the immeadiate deletion of the page.

Here are the rough notes we came up with regarding the rules for such pages.

Obviously, the rules are inefficient (several of them overlap) and need tweaking, but they are the rough guidelines.

The characters must-

┬À 1: Have a sufficiently different story from the original

┬À 2: Have some differentiation in power/abilities

┬À 3: He must not be made specifically for the purpose of being OP.

┬À 4: If it is obvious that effort was made to make a character unique, but it isn't sufficiently different, than a time limit will be given to improve it.

┬À 5: The character must be original to you, and can't have been made by anyone else

┬À 6: The character can't simply have a slightly tweaked backstory and appearance and be called "original"

I think this is good enough. It follows the regulations of what the wikia stands for, which is to promote original works of higher standard characters, not just OP characters for the sake of fighting or bland characters.

The rules and regulations for Fanon Characters seem fair and have no loopholes as far as I have seen it.

One more thing, we determined that the pages should defintiely always be examined on a case-by-case baisis. There will always be pages that technichally follow these rules, but aren't high enough quality to stay around, and there will always be pages that don't technichally follow the rules, but are obviously original enough to stay, so we need to look at them individually, rather than just glancing to see if they follow all the rules.

Yeah, Steve is right. Forgot to mention this on the OP but as he said, any person that makes these kinds of characters will have to always be examined on a case-by-case basis. Meaning that not only to see if they follow the rules plus ones i've also had in mind, but we have to determine if they different enough from the originals as well...

Right. Technichally, someone could make an "original" character who is literally exactly the same as Naruto in appearance, personality, moveset, and everything else, exept he has a different name and universe, and is stronger than the original. In that case, it seems reasonable that that character would be borderline against the rules, even though it technichally folowed them.

Okay did a minor change to the OP, but here's one major important thing that me and Kavpeny had on.

Now this is another rule that we have had in mind that should really be taken seriously: which is about how fan-made canon characters can wanked/raised above far higher than their verse's God Tiers. Basically here's the best solution involving this:

"The FanFiction version of the character should not exceed the tier of the God-tier characters of their respective verses. If the fanfiction characters is stronger than their canon counterparts, a proper backstory and reasoning for the difference must be listed as well".

This means that anyone who wants to create these kinds of character, they must also keep this mind and follow this as well as the above rules and the fact that ones page will be looked at to see if it's original enough.

^So this means that Goku cannot be made any higher than even the strongest being in his verse (which is Whis if you don't count Vados) unless there's a reason why he can be higher than 3-A. Same thing with Naruto: One cannot make him any higher than 5-B unless there's a proper backstory and reasoning of why this is the case.

^This is so that we don't end up with Tier 1 versions of said characters mentioned above plus more. So again: Not only are the pages have to follow the rules that Steve, me and Prom talked about and will be looked at in a case-by-case basis, they also have to follow this condition as well. So if someone actually wanted to have a Tier 2 Goku, they will really need to explain how he obtained that level of power in the first place to be here or else it will be deleted.

Just to bring this up.

^^

I couldn't agree more.

But what if the entire verse was buffed so that, for instance, Naruto, and most of his friends and enemies, were all star level?

Hmm. Don't know how that would be, actually. Thing is that Kavpeny only gave me the example of how Naruto can't be any higher than his verse's current strongest (which i presume is Kaguya due to her being Low 5-B, 5-B with ETSB?) unless the creator explains why Naruto is higher than like around say 4-C or Star level like what you said.

They'd still have to explain why that is the case regardless or just like from earlier, a time limit will be made for it to be done or else it'll be deleted.

If anything, i really would like for this to be followed. Otherwise we'll end up with what happened last year with several Goku clones and other fan characters being Tier 1 and shit....

Aye. *Nods*

So yeah not only do we do what Steve had presented from earlier, it's also a matter of why the fan-made canon character is stronger than their canon counterpart. Like for Goku, if one wants to make him Low 2-C. 2-A, or even anywhere on Tier 1 for that matter, they have to have proper reasoning and backstory for the change of why he's of that tier. Otherwise, he'll have to be 3-A then for that matter (though given where DBS is going at, putting him at 3-A may become pointless later on tbh).

Hmm. Seems we're still going through around here on this. Well in any case, we're still gonna have to figure out how this will work here before we can come to any decisions on weather we should allow this to happen or not....

I think the rules you guys have come up with are actually pretty good and fair. Should get rid of the basic "op for the sake of being op" type profiles. In my personal case, providing reasoning and backstory for any fan-made canon character profiles I come to make should be easy enough. So yea, it's all good in my opinion. That said, it's likely we'll end up seeing more low quality profiles (examples being a bunch of overpowered Gokus and Narutos) And if that does end up happening, instead of punishing fan-made canon characters in general by banning them all again, just get rid of said low quality profiles.

@Dantvsnero: Point. Well this could be alright in the sense that other wiki's (as in those like Bleach and Naruto Fanon) allow the makings of fan-made canon characters.

You are right in both things: That we're likely to end up seeing a lot of low quality profiles, and the fact that we could just get rid of said low quality profiles rather than just punish all the pages that aren't of low quality.

Though i feel that if in some way it does go bad, we may have to ban this forever.

But i'll wait this out for a bit. I mean it's kind of interesting cause similar to how VS Battles allows some non-canon pages (albeit i've heard from one of the bureaucrats there that they may have allowed a bit too much), we could perhaps do something like this by maybe allowing some fan-made canon characters.

But of course as said up til' now, we're going to have to be a lot more careful when it comes to this on a case-by-case basis here.

How much a What If version need to be different that the original I will take Zack Fair for example.

Zack ( Canon ) : Die at the end of Crisis Core

Zack ( Fanon ) : Survive at the end of Crisis Core became a mercenary with Cloud and was hired by Avalanche to destroy the Mako reactor ... and then many other thing happen but it would be too long to write everything.

Did you read the first comment at the top where Steve gave out the specific rules on these kinds of characters? If not, that's what you need to follow.

Well you don't have to, Keven. You could actually. Just that these rules technically are not official as we have yet to finalize on how this could actually work...

Alright so it seems that about 9 people (this is i guess including the other admins, Kavpeny and Abbadon) seem to have agreed about this so far.

So i'm going to make another thread about this but i won't close this for the time being.

Bumping this again.

So after having some relooking back into this, i do realize that there should be a limit of sorts on how OP can a fan-made canon character can get.

Example being Son Goku from Dragon Ball. So as of now (at least via say VS Battles), Goku has just reached actual Universe level potency by combining his SSB form with KKx10. And since if someone were to make him any stronger than someone above even Zeno who is the King of the DBMultiverse who is stated by Beerus to be able to destroy all of them in a blink of an eye (making him 3-A, likely 2-C given that it may or not involve space time destruction).

Basically if one were to make their own version of Goku whose stronger than Zeno, he can't be any stronger than 2-C, 2-B or 2-A if the universe's have their own timelines like the main one and was stated to either be countless (which would be 2-B) or infinite (which will be 2-A).

Same thing can be applied to others like say Naruto. Characters like Naruto and Sasuke cannot be any stronger than Planet level (via from Kaguya and her ESTB).

What i'm trying to say that there's going to be a rule about not going any higher than the strongest shown in said verse UNLESS there's a reason why it is of that tier.

I'll try to elaborate once we manage to go through with this again...

Ok, so what I'm saying is that I agree that this is a good way to keep characters from being too OP. We don't want a Goku stronger than Zeno, a Ichigo stronger than Sosuke, and certainly not a Spider-Man stronger than TOAA.

However, in my opinion, if you have a solid-fleshed out verse in mind, in which all the tiers are stronger, and in which your character is only upgraded along with the rest of it (Such as a One Piece verse in which many of the characters are Star-Level somehow) then that should be generally allowed, under the presumption that the creator will write several articles for characters in the verse within a reasonable ammount of time, and assuming that they don't have too many 1-A characters.

Yes that's what i was thinking. I was thinking things like "Goku cannot be any stronger than the strongest in DB" or like what you said on how Ichigo cannot be any stronger than Aizen let alone Yhwach even, and so on.

And that should be okay as well but with a well written and clealy reasonable explanation. Like One-Piece being star level somehow, as ridiculous as it may sound, needs to be given a reason and explanation on why that is the case.

But of course. I'm certainly not saying that they should just say, "oh, they're star level." I'm saying, they should say something like "They discovered pieces of the aincient God Hand, and artifact that was supposedly used to create the universe. With those, their power soared to unimaginable levels." Or, uh, "After years of training, Luffy discovered a raw power within himself- the Gear X. Once released, he became so powerful that he could have easily destroyed the universe. However, he had no knowledge of how to use this power, so he accidentaly released it, sharing it equally with all the most powerful beings of his world." Or even something like- "Now in the world of Dragon Ball Z, Ichigo, his allies, and his enemies learned the secrets of the use of Ki, becoming incredibly powerful."

Of course, they would have to elaborate more, but that's the baisic idea.

Oh very excellent right there, Steve. :)

But yes, that's what i really meant as well, dude. Like one shouldn't just say "oh they're star level" and leave it at that. Like what you put is what i meant by "well written and clearly reasonable explanation".

Okay, gotta up this once again.

So yes, basically what Steve said and put here earlier is what i fully meant by "well written and clearly reasonable explanation".

Given that this has been ongoing for a bit and that everyone has understood and agreed with the potential rule settings here, i think i'll close this and head over to the Part 2 of this matter here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back