• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Plagiarism Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
I know it isn't really my place to do this, but I'm really annoyed by how much plagiarism I'm seeing on profiles.

Granted, I'm guilty of it too, but some cases are ripped off of other wikis with no attention to grammar, spelling, or other central tenets of a clean wiki pages.

One of the most egregrious verses guilty of this is Freezing, in which 90% of the contents of each profile are ripped off of the Freezing Wiki with little rhyme or reason.

Case in point: Rana Linche

Compare the Standard Equipment section and Notable Attacks/Technique sections to the abilities on her Freezing Wiki page.

Now it's impossible to go through every profile and remove all plagiarism (heck, that would remove a lot of important information too), but shouldn't we have tighter controls on this? I'd understand some basic paraphrasing, but everything down to the formatting is taken straight from there.

At the very least, shouldn't there be an anti-plagiarism rule added to the editing rules?

Once again, I'd like to apologize if I'm overstepping my bounds with posts like these.

I'm in agreement of this, if only for formality as I don't think its possible to check this much profiles for spell checks and copypastas. I'd help though if need be.

My apologies, but I do not think that we remotely have the manpower, time, and energy to constantly overview and control the wiki to this extent.

In this case it should be a "fix it when we see it" case. As like Ant said, we don't have the ability to create an entire revision on the wiki nor monitor every page that is made to such a specific and in depth level. If we see something being ripped from another page, I think it'd be great to remove it and if necessary, warn users if we notice numerous cases of plagiarism from them. But once again such a huge sitewide praxis is simply impractical.

Since the question has been answered, I will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back