• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pikachu's Strange Wonder Adventure?

What? Yeah, that's my reaction, too. Let's get some context.

Quoting Bulbapedia:

Pikachu's Strange Wonder Adventure is the 21st Pikachu short of the Pokémon anime. It aired from August 1 to 29, 2010 on even-numbered ANA Nippon Flights and was later released on DVD in Japan in July 2011. It had its TV premiere on October 20, 2011 in Japan.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PK21

Luckily, there does seem to be video of this. Not sure if it's okay to link it, but it was easily among the first few results by searching Pikachu's Strange Wonder Adventure on Google.

Unfortunately, I don't think this "short" (It's more or less 20 minutes.) has an English dub. But we use Composite Pokemon, & this does seem to fit... somewhere in the Sinnoh era, based on who's Pokemon are present.

To summarize the plot, an Unown arrives where a bunch of the Sinnoh main casts's Pokemon are playing. Surprisingly, no humans appear AT ALL in the plot. Anyway, Pikachu, Piplup & Skitty agree to help the Unown get home.

It's not very clear about where it's home is Unown says it came from "the sparkling place". A Skitty who claims to know how to get there shows up, but when asked how... says it forgets. Then remembers and leads them to a sewer with a very simple puzzle of pushing jutting blocks into a wall.

Doing so opens a sparkly portal/vortex in the wall that sucks them all in, & takes them to what the narrator calls "a mysterious place". Floating stone in a sky that sends anyone who falls down back to the start from the top.

They end up going through other vortexes, going into other weird dimensions(?) & in a couple of cases, some of the Pokemon end up giant. Eventually, they find where the Unown are. Unown is returned to its friends, they have a bit of fun, & through a portal there, the non-Unown Pokemon are returned to their home.

Yay! But why is this in Content Revision, you might ask? Well, if you're going to guess, it's not about the Deoxys that appears seemingly only to carry Piplup, Skitty & Pikachu when they fall.

Nor is it about The Lake Trio, who only show up in one scene to give each of Pikachu, Piplup & Skitty an apple to take a break.

It's actually about 4 minor matters.

There's a couple of alternate size scenes due to vortex shenanigans or something? I'm not sure WHY it happens, but 2 of the events that happen there are the focus of this revision.

Revision Topic #1: During the time where everyone but Meowth, Wobbuffet & Mime Jr. are giant, those 3 are on top of Pikachu's head. Looking myself, they other Pokemon are so giant the white of Pikachu's eye is as big as Wobbuffet!

While on top of this ginormous Pikachu, Meowth tells Mime Jr. to use Teeter Dance because he doesn't wanna get hit with Pikachu's Thunderbolt while it's like this; Just the static electricity is hurting them.

Mime Jr. does so, & Teeter Dance visibly has enough range for it to affect Piplup & Skitty, despite them being quite a great distance away, for the relatively tiny Mime Jr..

As far as I can tell, we currently give Baby Pokemon range something like "Standard melee range, extended melee range with most attacks".

At a glance, I'm pretty confident this is much bigger than a typical Baby Pokemon's "extended melee range", so a revision of that seems needed. (Also, the page for Mr. Mime needs a separate range key & maybe a separate stamina key.)

Revision Topic #2: While all the other Pokemon are giant, a Marill that's appeared in a few previous Pokemon shorts appears again. One of the multiple times it uses Sing this short, & gets mad at Meowth, Wobbuffet & Mime Jr. for falling asleep is while it's giant, & so it slams them with its giant tail.

Meowth, Wobbuffet & Mime Jr. are flattened & float to the ground from a small distance into the air.

With that in mind, of these three at least, why doesn't Team Rocket's Meowth have Toon Force &/or Mid Level Regenerationn for surviving being flattened?

Revision Topic #3: After they reunite the Unown with its friends, the other Unown, an Unown C & B use telekinesis on Pikachu, Piplup & Skitty, to let them float around & have fun.

The Unown F they helped bring back to the other Unown (many other Unown are present here) does float beside the C & B, but it doesn't glow, suggesting it isn't performing telekinesis.

In total, Pikachu, Piplup & Skitty should have a mass of about 22.2 kilograms, according to weight values from the Pokedex.

With this in mind, shouldn't we add Telekinesis to Unown's powers & abilities? Also, sadly, it isn't an individual Unown doing this, but two, but it should still give us some idea of Unown's Lifting Strength via Telekinesis. I think that would be worth listing.

Revision Topic #4: This short shows another location, that is seemingly a different dimension where many Unown reside, & comes after Given that our profile for Unow says "Unown is an extremely rare Pokémon that lives in its own dimension and rarely ventures outside.", it seems like we're implying that there's only ONE dimension Unown lives in.

While I appreciate the merit of quotes (Even if I'm not sure where this quote originates from.) why not state it's extradimensional nature in a way more open to the fact that Unown have been shown in a lot of places seemingly unlike M03's "Unown Dimension"?

So yeah. TL;DR - Proposing:

Greater range for Baby Pokemon via scaling to Team Rocket's Mime Jr.'s Teeter Dance (& a new key for Range on Mr. Mime & maybe for Intelligence, too.), Toon Force &/or Mid Regenerationn for Team Rocket Trio's Meowth surviving being flattened, Telekinesis & a Lifting Strength for Unown (Based on it performed by 2 Unown), & a rephrasing of Unown's profile's description of it to account for differing places where Unown are found.

Let's see how this goes.

I forgot to give my inputs here but I can give them tomorrow herr since it is near midnight for me now.

Range, mid regen and telekinesis are fine. Unown's lifting strength should probably stay as unknown. Not really sure what you want to change regarding the fourth point.

@GyroNutz: Why keep Lifting Strength Unknown? We saw a feat of it for what is clearly 2 (Maybe you could debate it as 3) Unown. That gives us a pretty close approximation, no?

Purpose of fourth point is just to implement a minor description change on Unown's profile.

Kinda unfair to say that 22.2 kilograms is the hard limit of unown when most relevant Pokemon in the verse have/will have class 25. I'm assuming the unown weren't struggling when they lifted Pikachu and co.?

I wouldn't call it the limit. It's quite possible they could lift more, since they did so casually, with little apparent difficult.

Leaving it at Unknown gives the impression we don't know if it can lift 22.2 kilograms at all, but we know from this that it CAN.

If you're worried about the LS being too slow, we can just use an "at least" rating.

Point is, below average human lifting strength is way too much of a lowball that it isn't an accurate gauge of their peak strength. If someone like Brian Shaw picked up 22.2 kilograms, that would tell us nothing about how much he can lift because we know for a fact that he can lift far, far more than that. If we rate something way below what it probably is, that's not an accurate rating, so it'd be better to leave it as unknown imo.

Range and telekinesis are fine. Unless there are more feats, I disagree with Toonforce and Regenerationn because they look like be Outlier. I am neutral on the lifting strength and the proposal does looks low-balled comparable to other pokemon as GytoNtz elaborated on.

But is it that accurate to not even admit they can lift 1 kilogram as well? In my opinion, that's what keeping the rating as Unknown does. It's not meant as a measure of peak, but of a minimum, to prove they CAN lift at least that much, as opposed to being unable to lift that much or less.

If I go into a match involving Unown, & it faces an opponent who has a Lifting Strength of 20 kilograms, it seems a bit suspect to say Unown can't match that when we KNOW it has a feat at least as good.

And I mean, we already don't scale Unown to most other Pokemon, especially based on evolutionary lines, so I'm not sure how much bearing the Class 25 feat(s) have.

And we DON'T know Unown can't lift more, right? We don't scale it to Baby, nor first stage Pokemon, & if we did, we could assume its LS via Telekinesis is comparable to that of those Pokemon.

Unknown doesn't mean they can't lift 1 to 22.2 kilograms. It just means we don't have enough information to give it an accurate rating. Our ratings are meant to show a peak, with numerous characters being scaled to things that have pushed them beyond their absolute limits. Also, how our ratings are treated in versus matches doesn't matter so much, since this is an indexing site first and a versus site second.

I suppose it's true versus matches don't matter much. Still, it feels dishonest & inaccurate NOT to have an "at least", either based on Unown's own feats, or scaling to other Pokemon for it's TK.

Feels wrong to not use known info just because it's low when we don't know what the actual peak is, you know?

Back