• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eficiente said:
This now changed into organizing Cosmology pages. Profiles for specific universes & structures will not be done, instead one editable (even if locked) Cosmology page will exist for each verse that may really need it. To avoid any verse from having one rules should still be made about it, and just to have more overall control over this matter.
To be honest, I would be ok with each verse having one respect page. One per verse seems reasonably sparse.

What we should maybe do is standardize their title, just to make it easier to find them. I would suggest generally calling the explanation page for Xverse "Xverse/Explanations" so that the page is a sub-page belonging to the verse page.

Also, any verse can have a respect page related to feats, but I think only high tier verses or verses with very unique worlds should have cosmology explanation pages specifically. Lore stuff should remain as blogs only, as should explanations of canonicity.

Sera EX said:
Also, any verse can have a respect page related to feats, but I think only high tier verses or verses with very unique worlds should have cosmology explanation pages specifically. Lore stuff should remain as blogs only, as should explanations of canonicity.
Is there a good reason to separate those? It seems to me like cosmology would be a major part of the general explanations on the verse.

I meant verses that don't exactly have a cosmology and are just "our world with some supernatural phenomena" wouldn't exactly need an explanation page for cosmology. Something like Earthland (Fairy Tail) would because it's much different from the real Earth. Basically as long as the verse has a fantastical world, it can have a cosmology/world explanation page.

> Even more redundancy can happen in blogs as only one person makes them and who knows who that user is.

I mean, the user who authored the blog is credited right above the title of the blog, if that's what you're saying. I don't know what you're saying with this if it's not that.

> If collaboration comes up then it basically becomes a profile, except that collaboration may not always be there.

If collaboration comes up it's just collaboration on a blog. I fail to see how it 'basically becomes a profile' as a profile and a blog are two different things, and the former can be found on our search engine.

> How many times have you seen admins motivated to add things into other people's blogs or saying that something needed to be removed next to admins adding & removing things from locked profiles? I see nothing but benefits here.

The same amount of time I've seen administrators motivated the make any largescale changes to a verse. I really have no clue what you're saying here, and under what precedent you're saying it off of.

As for admins adding and removing things from a locked profile, that's functionally the exact same thing as them doing that to a blog, so I still fail to see a point here.

> This is a massive false equalization, we would obviously have rules about it that would logically make the point implied here simply wrong.

Excuse me when I say that I have less faith that we'd make practically enforceable rules that draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable locations than we would just linking relevant blogs to verse pages. It took years for us to fine-tune our standards on YouTube profiles, joke profiles, and fanfiction profiles, and I'd rather us not have another fiasco with people straddling the line of what's acceptible on the site.

And it's not really a false equalization? You're admitting we'd need to make a wide birth of addenda to your suggestion to prevent stuff like this, so obviously what I'm saying is relevant.

Well, as we seem to agree on something that removes all the inconveniences of both blogs and profiles I would prefer not to argue about that (even if I would very much like to clarify some things there). I will be satisfied if everyone here can at least agree that blogs have some of the problems I claimed they have and we can organize ourselves about Cosmology pages.

I am personally fine with verse cosmology explanation pages.

Well I remember the time when anything above Tier 3 was a big deal in this site and was all mod restricted, which is why verses like Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon being universal was so controversial back then despite the mountains of blatant undeniable straight forward proof (that isn't to say there aren't any still trying to downplay them from that). Because seeing that Tier 2 verses are not that uncommon now, my guess is we are loosening up and not be so nazi about verses that are 4-D?

Of course I still don't believe unlocking all the Tier 2 was a good idea, as I have re-locked some of mine from vandalism by lowballers. But I have implied in some sense on the universal realm standard thread that Tier 2's should also require some cosmology explanations. As we are 3-D, any other dimensionality is really foreign to us. This is why along with extremely strong characters, the reverse should also apply to extremely weak characters (anything below Tier 10) in terms of being mod restricted and requiring explanation pages.

But I won't be hypocritical, if you require to have essays on a verse that have a >Tier 3 feat I will aquire whatever means necessary to churn one up even with my lack of writing skills. In fact, I am preparing an explanation subpage for a pretty obscure verse to pre-emptively prepare for accusations of wank.

@Ant

Same, I'm just making an important distinction to prevent us from being flooded with unnecessary "cosmology" explanations. The rule of thumb should be If it needs to be explained, then it should be. But a verse definitely may have a respect thread for feats and calculations, as not having to have its cosmology explained doesn't prevent that.

Tier 1 verses tend to desperately need explanation whereas a historical fiction where the only difference between that world and ours is that <this historical figure has powers> doesn't (unless it's Fate). Meanwhile, an Earth-like main setting that's actually 5-A in size certainly is something to make an explanation about.

@Crzer

Tier 2 verses are not that uncommon now, my guess is we are loosening up and not be so nazi about verses that are 4-D?

That's not a good thing. We shouldn't be "nazi" about anything but we certainly have become too lenient nowadays. It's why we have such problematic CRTs for various big named verses and the staff (as those who constantly get berated as down-players and verse-haters) are usually the ones suffering for the mentality we helped create. Everyone's subscribed to the same flawed logic to get an upgrade to pass and when we say "no" they counter with "but <this verse> was upgraded this way". A slippery slope that's actually come to pass. That is however, certainly a conversation for another (inevitable) thread.

So what do we need to do here, and how should we apply it?

I was going to say perhaps we can come up with a "standard format for explanation pages", but I'm unsure if it's necessary. Most respect blogs are neatly made and don't require the precise format character, weapon, or civilization files need. They also tend to end up being very organized content revision threads.

I meant that we should probably mention how and when this should be applied in one of our instruction pages, but I am uncertain about which one and what it should say.

Well, I've dropped in my two cents, and I'm presuming Kep supported my argument, although I don't see eye-to-eye with Sera/DontTalk on everything.

There seems to be a much larger majority agreeing with DontTalk's points as well as Sera's though, so that seems to be the course of action to take.

Okay. It would be useful if we inform our members that well-done versions of such explanation pages are encouraged in one of our pages though.

I didn't think we disagreed on this. Your replies seemed directed at someone else. Maybe I'm misreading something...

I think we have concluded here that we are going to use explanation pages instead of location pages?

Can I move the 2 existing location pages into blog posts of their creators, so that they can recreate them as explanation pages once they are ready for that?

Just makes a bad precedent to have those lying around if we technically don't want to use them in this form.

(I can leave a redirect, so that links don't get screwed up)

I think moving these pages to blogs like you described is fine, DontTalkDT.

Just to make certain, you backed up the location pages to blog posts, correct?

Yes, they can be found here and here. I also left redirects, which should be changed once the explanation pages exist.

Okay. Thank you for helping out. What else is left to do here?

Nothing. I think it can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back