• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
My issue with it is that it essentially says that moving across space-time grants speed above SoL, FTL, MFTL and even Infinite. However (as far as I know), according to Einstein's Relativity theory one can move across space-time with just SoL-FTL speeds. Now, I know that most of fiction kinda just ignores the existence of Relativity Theory, but my point is that if you want to make the scientific basis, moving across time-space like Time Travel via sheer speed should be SoL (scientifically), and if there are characters in the verse with FTL/MFTL speeds with no Time Travel ability via sheer speed, then the guy who did it should just be far higher into it. Just my thoughts though.
Could someone explain why exactly this logic cannot be used and why Immeasurable is moving across space-time? It would be far more logical if Immeasurable was just being above concept of speed.

Immeasurable Speed is when you become so fast that the speed formula (AKA distance over time) doesn´t works anymore due to you being capable of travelling through time itself

We can´t really follow the theory of relativity when arguing FTL speeds in fiction, since it is constantly ignored. It can only be argued on verses that canonically implement it on its story

If a character travelled through time and was described as being able to do so because of going faster-than-light he will receive a FTL rating

If a character travelled through time and wasn´t described as being able to do so because of lighspeed shenanigans then he will receive an Immeasurable rating due to being able to move faster than time itself

The speed of light is kinda of measurable, after all, we even have a number for it

Immeasurable Speed is when you become so fast that the speed formula (AKA distance over time) doesn´t works anymore due to you being capable of travelling through time itself
Scientifically, again, it is not how it is supposed to work. If a feat can be performed via SoL/FTL according to science, then why do we make a tiering system having that feat much higher?
We can´t really follow the theory of relativity when arguing FTL speeds in fiction, since it is constantly ignored. It can only be argued on verses that canonically implement it on its story
Yes it is, but the tiering system must have a scientific basis. Theory of Relativity is the most accurate physics theory desciribing the world, which is why putting a feat to Immeasurable while it can be done via SoL according to it sounds too weird for me.
The speed of light is kinda of measurable, after all, we even have a number for it
Yes, but the point is: measurable speed is enough to travel through space-time.

Scientifically, again, it is not how it is supposed to work. If a feat can be performed via SoL/FTL according to science, then why do we make a tiering system having that feat much higher?
You can´t apply science 1:1 to fiction when it gets ignored 99% of the time, that´s the point

Yes it is, but the tiering system must have a scientific basis. Theory of Relativity is the most accurate physics theory desciribing the world
Read above

Which is why putting a feat to Immeasurable while it can be done via SoL according to it sounds too weird for me.
Yes, but the point is: measurable speed is enoughto travel through space-time.
Only in works of fiction that follows the Theory of Relativity 1:1, otherwise no

My problem is not in that, the problem is that what scientific basis Immeasurable Speed has? It’s just “assumed” that traveling across space-time = formula can be applied and it is higher than any other speed, but it does not base itself on science but rather just an assumption. If we want to look at actual science, it can be performed via SoL-FTL. It’s like giving the guy who has no mass via sheer speed Immeasurable Speed, although scientifically it can be done via SoL like photons do.

Not being immeasurable is due to the mechanism of when going FTL you travel backward in time, kinda like you achieved something via a loophole. Immeasurable speed is being described as, you are capable of moving through time as like you moving through space, travel backward or forward in time with ease. Going FTL to travel backward in time isn't mean you literally treat time as physical distance, just that the mechanism of going ftl subsequently allow you to go backward in time

Not being immeasurable is due to the mechanism of when going FTL you travel backward in time, kinda like you achieved something via a loophole. Immeasurable speed is being described as, you are capable of moving through time as like you moving through space, travel backward or forward in time with ease. Going FTL to travel backward in time isn't mean you literally treat time as physical distance, just that the mechanism of going ftl subsequently allow you to go backward in time
So… to summarize, in Theory of Relativity you can time travel via SoL due to time dilation and it’s not like physically moving through the time axis via sheer speed. Immeasurable is being so fast that you move along time axis through sheer speed. Right? If that’s the case, then sounds good to me.
Also according to relativity you travel into the future, you cannot travel backwards in time.

So… to summarize, in Theory of Relativity you can time travel via SoL due to time dilation and it’s not like physically moving through the time axis via sheer speed. Immeasurable is being so fast that you move along time axis through sheer speed. Right? If that’s the case, then sounds good to me.
I think this is a good way to summarize it yeah, since Immeasurable speed is categorized (as opposed to FTL movement) as being able to go to any point in time via sheer movement however you'd like

Also according to relativity you travel into the future, you cannot travel backwards in time.
It actually more complicated than time dilation, but yeah it is due to Theory of Relativity that theoretically, travel faster than light will make you be able to move backward in time. I recommend you goes to Youtube to find videos that explains in deep about how Theory of Relativity work, about light cone, time and space, and how speed of light is connected to causality

It actually more complicated than time dilation, but yeah it is due to Theory of Relativity that theoretically, travel faster than light will make you be able to move backward in time.
Isn’t it future? But yeah I kinda oversimplified it with time dilation.
I recommend you goes to Youtube to find videos that explains in deep about how Theory of Relativity work, about light cone, time and space, and how speed of light is connected to causality
I will! Thank you for explaining again.

There is also a very simplified explanation that is, normally time go from the past to the future, let assume this is positive time, as you approach speed of light your clock ticking slower, the moment you reach speed of light, your clock stop, or time is stop. So mathematically, if you start to go faster than light, your clock will start ticking backward, time go negative thus you go backward in time.

But well this is kind a very simplified explanation for people to easier to visualized what happen with speed in relation to time, as in reality Einstein's Theory of Relativity is just a field equation (actually is it geometry + field equation), it doesn't have thing such as positive time or negative time

Back