• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Formatting Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noneless21

He/Him
Hello Everyone, It's the old me and today Imma go ahead and post my very first CRT!

now you wanna ask what revision you want to do Noneless? well I want to propose another way a profile is formatted.

see this profile? yeah it's a pain to look at since not only he's one of the haxier profiles at the VSBW, some of his hax has more than one scans for its justifications so it's extra hard to find the P&As you want to search at that profile.

now, there's already a solution for this, which is the bulleting and bolding format like this, which to me does do its job since there's more than one P&As that shares some justifications. But here's the thing, most of the members here (myself included) didn't like the way it look and mobile phone users gonna be in pain to look at that profile since they need to scroll a lot just to reach the attack potency section. So to me, it isn't as efficient.

And so, I decided to propose the third option for formatting the profiles, and that's by Bolding but unbulleted profiles like this

Now I'm not trying to bash the bulleted and bolded P&As, in fact, I thought they're not too bad looking, but if I have to choose between those two, then Imma pick the bolded but not bulleted formatting.

And that's it, I guess.

Note: I never want to replace the other format, I just wants to add more option regarding the formatting and also because i was warned twice by Ant for using the bolded but unbulleted format but we don't talk about that here

Agree : @Sir_Ovens, @Confluctor, @Damage3245, @Amelia_Lonelyheart, @Armorchompy, @Dalesean027, @Deceived, @UchihaSlayer96, @Braking, @LordTracer, @Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara, @SamanPatou, @KLOL506, @Expectro2000xxx, @Abstractions, @Eficiente, @Therefir, @Celestial_Pegasus, @Emirp sumitpo, @DarkDragonMedeus, @Planck69, @Duedate8898, @FinePoint

Disagree : @Dread, @DontTalkDT, @AKM sama, @Agnaa, @Qawsedf234

Neutral : @Antvasima, @Jasonsith

Last edited:
So this is a thread not for that specific profile, but profiles in general?

If the listed format isn't being replaced, then fine, I don't mind if people want to do this for certain profiles. But I don't think we should just get rid of bullet points on existing profiles just because of this.

So this is a thread not for that specific profile, but profiles in general?

If the listed format isn't being replaced, then fine, I don't mind if people want to do this for certain profiles. But I don't think we should just get rid of bullet points on existing profiles just because of this.
I never want to replace the bulleting formats to begin with, all I propose is adding another option for formatting the profiles

Yes, I'm in absolute agreement with this format being allowed, it's IMO the best for certain profiles and I've only ever seen one person dislike it.

I'm personally usually not a fan of bullet list but it's alright, I've used it once or twice, let's not focus the conversation on that.

Unbolded sections were fine in the early days of the sites when characters would, at most, get five line for their P&A, but we've evolved as a site since then. Not only do we have far more ability pages, but our quality and desire to justify such sections has improved to, to the point where even 'haxless' characters such as Green Arrow and Judge Dredd can get rather large sections that ca be hard to read without the bolding. This has been a problem in the works for years now, but was always sidelined because it only affected very few pages, such as the OG haxlords Lucemon, but now it affects damn near everyone.

So, I'm in full agreement. It's just better for bigger characters.

I think, since it's hard to intuitively see when the next power begins, this format is particularly very beneficial to characters that have a lot of elaboration and description in their P&A.

Which is, you know, the definition of a good profile.

Last edited:
Yeah I think this looks pretty good it's already been said enough not only in this thread but the bulleted format never did it for me and I definitely see the problem with having long ass P&A's like that in either format so I think just being able to bold in the regular format really does look really good, catches the eye more at the points people are going to be looking at first

Note: I never want to replace the other format, I just wants to add more option regarding the formatting and also because i was warned twice by Ant for using the bolded but unbulleted format but we don't talk about that here
I feel your pain....

He did the exact same thing with my D.Gray-Man profiles...

crying-pepe-the-frog.gif

I feel your pain....

He did the exact same thing with my D.Gray-Man profiles...

crying-pepe-the-frog.gif
it's worse when you spend two days adding the P&As just to get reverted

but anyway, I probably will wait for Sunday at my place for more opinions since this is more like staff discussion rather than normal CRT

I agree with the proposal, I've always liked it and I think allowing both can be beneficial for several profiles and offers the option to adapt then on a case by case basis.

Still think bolding abilities is ugly and that just moving the links for scans into references would have the same effect on visibility, while retaining higher standardization (i.e. not making yet another parallel running formatting standard. 2 are already 1 too many IMO).

Still think bolding abilities is ugly and that just moving the links for scans into references would have the same effect on visibility, while retaining higher standardization (i.e. not making yet another parallel running formatting standard. 2 are already 1 too many IMO).
You want to remove scans beside abilities? This is an awful decision. You know that scans beside abilities are explanation, unless you add them beside references, then I am fine with it but you gotta explain how since...

0f8b775fc779458abb3f6d2d297b4395.png

There is no space for explanation?

No, no. That's the last thing we should be doing. People don't even bother looking past abilities section for notes and stuff, so I doubt they would look for scans at the bottom of the page.

And also, I think it makes the files looks bad. Now if we completely get rid of p&a section replace it with what you are suggesting... Then idk. But no. It will suck.

Plus for newer people in the community who may want to create or work on profiles learning the whole reference system vs just inserting scans like almost every profile on the wiki does is going to be that much more of a wall for newer peeps who want to contribute

Even if you didn't personally like that type of formatting why would you be opposed to granting profile creators/people who revise profiles more options?

Like, i literally see no point of limiting these types of options to people.

You want to remove scans beside abilities? This is an awful decision. You know that scans beside abilities are explanation, unless you add them beside references, then I am fine with it but you gotta explain how since...

0f8b775fc779458abb3f6d2d297b4395.png

There is no space for explanation?
I didn't say remove scans. I said to move them into references. They are still there. They are still right next to the explanations. But they don't produce a giant blue wall of text anymore.

See original form vs step 1.

Plus for newer people in the community who may want to create or work on profiles learning the whole reference system vs just inserting scans like almost every profile on the wiki does is going to be that much more of a wall for newer peeps who want to contribute
References are mandatory now, so they need to learn anyways.

Currently looks awful ATM, especially with the fact that the Abilities and Resistances aren't in separate tabbers (Which they should be, it reduces the amount of space taken up and increases convenience for people looking them up in the first place). Bolding looks much better with the bullet-pointed variant, not with the plain paragraph format.

Overall tho, I am not a fan of bullet-pointing every single profile, only for profiles with 20 abilities or less really work with the bullet-point format, you can only take it so far before even that becomes a mess. Let's not forget what the Sonic Profile looks like.

I didn't say remove scans. I said to move them into references. They are still there. They are still right next to the explanations. But they don't produce a giant blue wall of text anymore.

See original form vs step 1.
Alright, we remove scans beside abilities and move them to references, where is explanation? Like the problem is not blue giant thing, the problem is the explanation is needed beside reference and there is no space for it

Currently looks awful ATM, especially with the fact that the Abilities and Resistances aren't in separate tabbers (Which they should be, it reduces the amount of space taken up and increases convenience for people looking them up in the first place). Bolding looks much better with the bullet-pointed variant, not with the plain paragraph format.

Overall tho, I am not a fan of bullet-pointing every single profile, only for profiles with 20 abilities ore less, you can only take it so far before even that becomes a mess. Let's not forget what the Sonic Profile looks like.
Ya I ain't fan of bullet-pointing as well.

Doesn't always work if you're working with a massive album worth of images or scans or separate scans and might need to use the same chapter as a reference in for other stats that use different page numbers.

Doesn't always work if you're working with a massive album worth of images or scans or separate scans and might need to use the same chapter in other places.
I don't see how that is a problem? Like, use several references?

@Noneless21 here is my suggestion for long indexed / most haxxed users

ac7390885bc97fea5e5b75ea106ec1ae.png

For all abilities that have “manipulation” goes there, all abilities goes to abilities and powers and others could side powers or nature (like immortality, accusality..ect)

Fun fact: People were suggesting worse to do to Kratos's profile on top of that and were suggesting he have a separate Norse profile even though we cut his Greek Profile Clutter straight down to 3 keys from 8 keys which made no sense to begin with.

Alright, we remove scans beside abilities and move them to references, where is explanation? Like the problem is not blue giant thing, the problem is the explanation is needed beside reference and there is no space for it
If you see the blog, you will notice that no explanation that was priorly there has been moved in step 1. There explanations don't get moved in this, just like they would not get moved when you bold the abilties.

Mind showing us now an example? I am interested to see how you meant, you can copy the code and add it to sandbox
See the blog I linked? Or do you mean for multiple references for one ability? I guess I can add something into the blog as example. Give me a moment.

well I already edit it so that abilities and resistance is already at separate tabs
@Noneless21 here is my suggestion for long indexed / most haxxed users

ac7390885bc97fea5e5b75ea106ec1ae.png

For all abilities that have “manipulation” goes there, all abilities goes to abilities and powers and others could side powers or nature (like immortality, accusality..ect)
I'll be honest, that looks like an even more works if you want to separate abilities and hax

Mind showing us now an example? I am interested to see how you meant, you can copy the code and add it to sandbox

I don't see how that is a problem? Like, use several references?
Given that we can't use page numbers already because of massive variation between editions, nor do we use timestamps for movies or game missions because they vary too much, pretty much out of the question to use several references for each scan even if they just share the same chapter.

A better proposal would be to limit the blue text to just the key words of the act being carried out, instead of hyperlinking the entire goddamn sentence. Kratos is a good example of cutting down the blue text massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back