• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Naruto verse lightning speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TataHakai

VS Battles
Retired
So, Zetsu's statement....... i'm not sure if this has been discussed before, forgive me for bringing it up again if it has, Zetsu's statement seems pretty legit, he has no reason to lie and he gave a specific figure, he was also giving out accurate information all throughout the fight and practically acting as the WOG

Lightning supposedly reaches the ground in 1/1000th of a second so 0.001 seconds, our timeframe

Storm clouds can reach varying heights, i'll use 4 different ones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumulonimbus_cloud

Low end

200 meters seems to be the lowest given

200/0.001 = 200,000 meters per second or mach 587

http://www.kylesconverter.com/speed-or-velocity/meters-per-second-to-mach-number

Low-Mid end

It says 200-4000 meters so

4000/0.001 = 4,000,000 meters per second or mach 11,754

Mid end

12,000 meters seems to be the peak

12,000/0.001 = 12,000,000 meters per second or mach 35,264

High end

It states in rare cases it can reach heights of 21,000 meters

so

21,000/0.001 = 21,000,000 meters per second or mach 61,712

So Pretty much Sub Relativistic lightning either way, obviously doesn't scale to Kirin in the Itachi fight since Sasuke's clouds were much less than 4000 meters iirc

According to this page here the average speed of lightning in nature is 440,000 m/s. Converting that to Mach speed we get Mach 1293. Every single calculation of yours except the first, differs greatly from this value.

Either Naruto's world has some really weird lightning, or Kishimoto has no damn clue how fast a natural lightning is.

Well, Kishimoto sets his own lore, if he wants his lightning to be ten billion times FTL (it isn't) then he can put it that way

The speed of lightning can vary between verses, i think it's better if we use this speed for Nardo natural lightning since that's a clear statement given by someone whom in a situation is comparable to WOG (Zetsu was giving a perfectly accurate commentary over everything in the fight besides Kirin since he hasn't seen that before)

Hate to break it to you but even if this were legit it wouldnt be useable since applying this to calculations would be calc stacking, making the results inaccurate and unreliable.

You wouldn't really need to apply it to calcs

You could probably find lightnig timing feats in the series and scale characters off that to get sub relativistic naruto characters idk

Like if someone reacted to lightning, that's sub relativistic since this is the literal natural lightning speed in the verse

...I literally just explained why that wouldnt be accurate under these circumstances

Also, what is this statement Zetsu made that youre talking about?

Zetsu is not a scientist who has made accurate specific measurements. We have to use the real world standard lightning speed in lack of better options.

@ WeeklyBattles

Zetsu states lightning reaches the ground in 1/1000th of a second which as you can see above gives it sub relativistic speeds

@Antvasima

I agree on Zetsu not being a scientist but he is by far one of the most knowledgeable characters in the verse and i think given the battle and the role that zetsu played in it, he was able to give an accurate description of pretty much everything during the battle, there's no reason to assume he was wrong about lightning

The way i see it, it's Kishimoto laying out the description of his lore and some character abilities

Zetsu's role in the battle should make him a reliable source

I'm highly dubious of simply taking Zetsu's statements as fact, considering that even in the fight between the Raikage and Sasuke a bystander says that the A's synapses fire like a "flash of light". Taking the claims of a character (especially one who is also a bystander) as fact would just lead to inflated profiles considering that there's also the chance it's simply hyperbole.

Actually that's a false translation

The Viz translation compares his synapses to that of Minato's

We can't just chalk every statement under the sun as a hyperbole, Zetsu IS a reliable source no matter how we put it

Zetsu was correct about absolutely everything else he said in the fight why would he be wrong about that one thing?

Oh and to reply to your previous statement WeeklyBattles

I thinking you might have misunderstood me when i said we could scale it to characters

For example if a character reacts to an attack that's been calc'd at mach 30,000 then that puts the characters reaction speed at mach 30,000

That's what i meant by scaling this speed to lightning timers

No we can't chalk every statement under the sun as hyperbole, but we can analyse the statements made and draw upon the most logical conclusion. What Sasuke uses at that point is cloud to ground lightning, it's undoubtedly going to ridiculously fast, Zetsu's claim of it reaching the ground at a thousandth of a second could simply be to suggest great speed. Just like every statement should not be immediately considered hyperbole, not every statement should be taken as it's presented at least some cynicism has to be employed.

I'm aware that Zetsu's claim of it is to suggest great speed

What I'm trying to suggest is the exact speed that Zetsu is trying to suggest

I appreciate your point, in the context of things however i don't see anything to suggest it's a hyperbole

I dont see the point of not believing Zetsu as UchihaVision said.There are a lot of character updates in this wiki by statemantes.

Well, unless Zetsu has studied science in the Naruto world, I don't think that this seems reliable, but I will ask Gwynbleiddd.

BoomeYang said:
or Kishimoto has no damn clue how fast a natural lightning is.
i would even go a bit further and say that most authors dont have a clue or dont care how fast natural lightning is :)

Well lightning speed can vary to massively hypersonic to relativistic speeds. It really depends on how powerful that fire justu was that he needed to create lightning. If he had lightning powers like Storm for sure the Naruto verse lightning would be fast.

@GreatestSin pretty much

@Dzhindzholia just because he's old doesn't mean anything, just that he's old. He still has to prove he has studied in these aspects. By this logic Master roshi would be one of the smartest people in dragon ball and Whis would be nigh omniscient

Whis IS a trustable source though as far as literally anyone is concerned

And in any other fight you may have a point but this particular one i believe Zetsu's word should be taken factually, why? As i stated before Zetsu pretty much commentated the fight to perfection, he was the source of information throughout the entire fight and basically the character who kishimoto spoke through, Zetsu's word wasn't entirely ridicolously outrageous either and nothing points to it being a hyperbole

BoomeYang said:
Either Naruto's world has some really weird lightning, or Kishimoto has no damn clue how fast a natural lightning is.
This. I don't see any reason to treat natural lightning in Narutoverse any faster than real world lightning. There is absolutely no basis for this and to my knowledge in every calculation involving lightning, in any verse, we use the natural speed of lightning. Now if this was a generated lightning, things would be different, but it is specifically stated to be natural lightning, that's the point of the technique.

Considering the results we get if he apply Zetsu's statement are vastly different from the natural speed of lightning, I'm more than inclined to believe this is a ****-up on the author's part. They are not exactly scientists and we'd get vastly inflated results if we used them. Just look at Naruto's databooks, there are many hyperboles.

The clouds weren't formed by whether manipulation or naturally. You need to scale the distance. Also, I'm pretty sure Zetsu said lightning "can" hit the ground in 1000th of a second.

Piercer of Heaven said:
The clouds weren't formed by whether manipulation or naturally.
The clouds were formed as a result of the heating of the atmosphere. It's a natural proccess, a hastened one, but still natural.

@ScarletFirefly

If things are different in Naruto verse it doesnt mean that they are not right.Their lighting can move MFTL.What hyperboles in Naruto DB are you talking about?Temari blows up the universe?There was a thread where people discussed that and someone post a scan with that statemant,it was just a headline(you can post a scan where said that she blows up the universe).About Haku,he isnt speed of light and databook never stated that he moves in the speed of light,he only teleports between his mirrors,no one said that he can fight in the speed of light.

Well, in any case, I am afraid that we cannot accept this, as it would mess too much with our standard conventions when evaluating lightning speeds.

I should probably remove the highlight and close this thread.

@ScarletFirefly and everyone else

Except this Lightning isn't just generated and let go, Sasuke harnessed the energy to move it at his will. The lightning is being mixed with elements of chakra to become a ninjutsu --

As for Zetsu the character's premises is to record information; judging by how he describes battles in details and has to report things accurately that should be enough to tell people Zetsu is a very knowledgeable character. Recording so many fights over thousands of years and processing that information to a coordinated plan isn't being smart, or a scientist?

@LucyyXNyuXHana Kirin is still stated to be real lighting even if its created by different means.

@Antvasima

"Well, in any case, I am afraid that we cannot accept this, as it would mess too much with our standard conventions when evaluating lightning speeds"

If its ever going to be accepted,I dont think it would mess anything since it is only Naruto verse not the whole wiki.

In all Honesty i can agree with this as Zetsu has been around 1000+ years and is by far one of the most knowledgeable characters in the series and has no reason to lie, the problem is that No one ever in the series has dodged "NarutoVerse" ground to lightning speed in the series so it cant scale to anyone anyway.

@Everyone just because he's old doesn't mean he is knowledgeable about this subject PERIOD!, his age has nothing to do with this unless it is stated he has been studying in these aspects.

Also Zetsu lies a lot (not saying he always lies) but he dose

Well, as Bepo mentioned, we cannot make an exception only for Naruto. It would cause lots of people to demand that we use the same standards for many other series as well.

As such, I would appreciate if you all immediately and permanently drop this subject. Thank you.

I will close this thread and remove the highlight now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back