• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mythology Tagging Project Questions/Discussions

As the title says, the purpose of this thread is to discuss the possibilities of creating new categories for specific pantheons as well as serve as a hub for tagging characters into preexisting pantheon category pages. Let's get started with examples of Gods that should be tagged in specific categories. Keep in mind that I'm not well versed in all of the series I'm about to mention. So if you happen to be familiar with the lore of one or more of these shows in question, your input be greatly appreciated. With that out of the way, let's get started:

American Gods:
Assassin's Creed:
  • https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Juno_(Assassin's_Creed) From what I can tell from this article, she could qualify for both a Roman and Norse God tag. But as specified earlier, I'm not familiar with Assassin's Creed's lore. So input from Assassin's Creed fans would be appreciated in this regard.
Brawlhalla:
Campione!:
Death and Destiny:
Fate/Grand Order (and the wider Nasuverse in general):
  • Both the Matter of Britain (King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table) and the Matter of France (King Charlemagne and the Twelve Paladins) play a prominent role in the Nasuverse. Both of which could serve as the basis for an "Arthurian Legends" and "Carolingian Cycle" tag respectively.
  • There's also Gods and Heroes from Celtic, Greek, Hindu, Norse, Mesopotamian, Chinese, Japanese, Persian, Abrahamic, Aztec, Canaanite, Ainu and Finnish mythology. Some of which haven't been tagged yet, don't exist as articles yet, could lead to the creation of new pantheon categories (such as Persian, Abrahamic, Aztec, Canaanite, Ainu and Finnish gods categories.)
The God of Highschool:
  • https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/The_God_of_High_School#Gods All these gods could qualify for a Buddhist, Chinese, Abrahamic, Norse, Greek and Hindu tags.
  • Spoiler warning for those reading this, but I've read GoH and know that Jin Mori is a specific god from Chinese Myth. Though I'm not sure what the consensus is on whether or not he should be tagged as such. So input from fellow GoH fans would be greatly appreciated.
Godzilla:
  • Some kaiju are named after mythological figures. Though I'm not sure if these kaiju in question are the actual gods/monsters themselves or just names the scientists/soldiers fighting against the kaiju gave them. Such as this one for example: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Quetzalcoatl_(Godzilla) It seems to imply that this kaiju is based on the dinosaur species named after the feathered serpent god in question, but some deliberation from Godzilla fans would help out greatly.
Granblue Fantasy:
  • Some of the characters here share names with real life mythological figures, but I'm unfamiliar with this game's lore. So I'm not sure if they're the actual gods themselves or if they're fantasy characters whose names just so happen to be "Loki" or "Shiva".
High School DxD:
  • Some of the articles could be added to specific categories. Like the DxD incarnation of Sun Wukong could get a "Chinese Gods" tag, for example.
Idling to Rule the Gods:
La Leyenda:
Megami Tensei:
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid:
  • Two mythological names I recognize from this anime are Quetzalcoatl and Fafnir. Don't know about the rest, but I think those two would qualify for an "Aztec Gods" and "Norse Gods" tag respectively.
Monster Strike:
Noragami:
Prince of Persia:
Puzzle and Dragons:
Shinza Banshou:
  • https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Shinza_Banshou I know that some of these characters share names with individuals from Japanese, Zoroastrian and Buddhist mythology. But I'm not sure if they are those specific deities or just use the names of those deities as alias's. Thus I'm not sure if they would qualify for the "Japanese Gods", "Zoroastrian Gods" and "Buddhist Gods" category tags or not. So some second opinions from Shinza Banshou fans would be greatly appreciated.
Silverio (Verse):
SMITE:
To Aru Majutsu No Index:
  • I've seen the first two seasons of Index and Railgun respectively, so I'm not 100% caught up on the anime side of things. However, I do have some questions regarding the True Magic Gods. Lore-wise, are the ones that share names with IRL mythological gods those exact same gods? Or are they super powerful Magicians that have adopted those god names in honor of their specific religion? Or did they inspire the legends of those particular gods in-universe? I guess what I'm trying to get at is that would it make sense to tag the High-Priest, Niang-Niang, Nephthys, Proserpina, Nuada, Tezcatlipoca, Chimera and Zombie articles as "Japanese Gods", "Chinese Gods", "Egyptian Gods", "Roman Gods", "Celtic Gods", "Aztec Gods", "Greek Gods", and "Voodoo Gods" respectively regardless if they're supposed to be the actual gods or just using those names as alias's?
Tokyo Babel:
  • This one seems to be based on 90% Biblical Entities and 10% Mesopotamian entities.
  • https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Tiamat_(Tokyo_Babel) This one could probably use a "Mesopotamian Gods" category tag unless the VN's in-game lore prevents such a tag from being implemented.
Touhou Project:
World of Darkness:
Valkyrie Crusade:
Miscellaneous:
That was a lot to go through, but it's important to have these kinds of categorization discussions if we want the tags to be as accurate as possible. Which is why I made this post to serve as a hub for all the mythology nerds on this forum to discuss how to best categorize and tag all the mythology-based character articles on this wiki. With all that said and done, take care, stay safe and have a good day or night wherever you may be.

silverio ones don`t count. They just share the names of the gods.

Shinzo bansho ones don`t count either
Thanks for the input. Those can be left alone in regards to the topic of this thread.

Samedi should just get a Loa tag
Personally, I view the term "Loa" how I usually view the "Kami" term. Sure, both of those words are the more correct terminology compared to the English word "God", but I still think such a tag should be called "Voodoo Gods" because people outside of Japan refer to Kami as Gods anyways. Even if cultures have different ideas on what makes an entity divine or not, every possible pantheon category should use the word "Gods" in it for the sake of simplicity.

To use an example from another wiki, the Superpower Wiki lists every pantheon article they have as "-blank- Deity Phsiology": https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki/Vodou_Deity_Physiology

So if we wanted to use a "softer" term for Gods, "deity" might do the trick. Either way, I'm of the camp that a hypothetical tag for Loa should be called "Voodoo Gods" if/when it's created.

Jin Mori is sun wukong so he should be tagged as chinese god
Thanks for the clarification. Should I tag Hui Mori and Dan Mori as Chinese Gods as well since they're closely related to Jin Mori?

Record of Ragnarok then?
Of the five god articles currently on the Record of Ragnarok page, Zeus, Thor, Shiva, Poseidon and Heracles are tagged within their respective pantheons. Bishamonten/Zerofuku/Hajun doesn't have an article yet despite his fight concluding recently. The fights involving Loki, Apollo, Susano'o no Mikoto, Anubis, Odin and Beelzebub haven't happened yet so them not having articles is understandable.
Aren’t Loa more angelic then deific tho?
I'm not exactly sure, but I still think a category tag for them should be called "Voodoo Gods" for the sake of uniformity with the other pantheon tags.

Since it's been a while, I might as well bump this thread with a question for all the Toaru fans.

Would it be alright if the True Magic Gods known as the High-Priest (Japanese), Niang-Niang (Chinese), Nephthys (Egyptian), Proserpina (Roman), Nuada (Celtic), Tezcatlipoca (Aztec), Chimera (Greek) and Zombie (Voodoo) articles get tagged in their respective pantheons?

Back