• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mythology Media Recommendations?

Hello there. When it comes to mythology media, I tend to prefer the kind with an "All Myths Are True" or a "Crossover Cosmology" setting. Such as settings where mythological/folkloric entities like Zeus, Odin, Thoth, Amaterasu, Tiamat, The Morrigan, Sun Wukong, Ukko, Ganesha, Pachamama, Sedna, Wakan Tanka, Quetzalcoatl, Awilix, Pele, Chernobog, Baron Samedi, Yemoja, Angra Mainyu, Tengri, Asherah, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, King Charlemagne and the Twelve Paladins, Cthulhu, Metatron, Beelzebub or what have you coexist in the same universe/multiverse. So I was wondering if any of you guys and gals have any recommendations for mythology-based media that uses characters and artifacts from the public domain? Any medium will do (video games, comic books, anime, manga, light novels, visual novels, tabletop games, books, television, cartoons, toys, movies, radio, of web series origin or what have you) as long as it has a crossover cosmology. Here's a list of mythology media I have consumed or am familiar with in order to provide an idea of what I'm looking for (they can also serve as my contribution to this recommendation discussion):

1. (Visual Novels/Mobile Games) Fate/Grand Order (and the Nasuverse in general): I play this mobile game a lot and it's got a lot of mythological, folkloric and historical characters to choose from. My one complaint about the Fate franchise is that with the way pseudo-servants work, often times certain gods have to use other Type-Moon characters as a vessel instead of being full blown summoned as servants. So they tend to focus more on demigods whenever the subject of a polytheistic pantheons comes up. I am looking to expand my horizons when it comes to chuunige/plotge visual novels, so if you have any recommendations for chuunige/plotge that feature mythological figures, artifacts and/or themes, I'm all ears.
  2. (Comic Books) God Is Dead: An indie comic published by Avatar Press. I haven't finished it yet, but it's a good read if you like seeing gods duking it out with each other.
  3. (Video Games) Smite: I'm not much of a fan of playing MOBAs, but I do keep myself up to date whenever they release a new god onto their roster. When it comes to video games I prefer RPGs and Action-Adventure/Hack and Slash, so any mythology games in those genres with a crossover cosmology would be great in my book. I am willing to try out new genres though so don't let that restrict your recommendations.
  4. (Tabletop Games) Scion: a pen and paper RPG that I've been looking into and have an interest in playing one day.
  5. (Anime & Manga) Record of Ragnarok: This has got to be one of my favorite manga I'm reading right now along with Kengan Omega and Majo Taisen: War of the Greedy Witches. It's selection of pantheons is kind of limited at the moment, but I hope it gets popular enough to get a sequel manga series with more gods from more pantheons.

So yeah, I'm open to recommendations for any mythology themed media as long as it comes from a mythology within the public domain. So that means I'm not looking for stuff were the gods are made up for that specific setting (such as The Silmarillion (no disrespect to Tolkien intended here), World of Warcraft or The Elder Scrolls, for example). The Cthulhu Mythos is an exception to this rule because not only is it in the public domain, it also shows up a lot in urban fantasy settings were Greek Gods, Vampires, Egyptian Gods, Werewolves, Norse Gods, Angels, Japanese Gods, Demons, Mesopotamian Gods and Aliens all coexist in the same universe in general. Bonus points if the mythology series in question has an article on the VS Battles Wiki as well, but it's alright if the franchise(s) you recommend don't have articles on the Wiki at the moment. You can also list off some of the insane feats for whatever verses you recommend in this thread if you feel like it. With that out of the way, take care, stay safe and have a good weekend!

Last edited:
I've heard that Dies Irae got a Steam release. Couldn't find Kajiri Kamui Kagura on Steam though. Is that getting an official English translation anytime soon?

Ragnarok as in "Ragnarok Online" or something else entirely?
ragnarok, the new battle manga

I've already mentioned Record of Ragnarok in the OP as one of the series I'm familiar with. It's a good read. Do you know of any other manga like it involving gods from various pantheons?

As am I aeneax, as am I.
buddha and jesus the manga

I really love this question, as I too am very fond of mythological series!

I'll be mostly watching, as people will probably cover all I can say. The Riordanverse, DC and Marvel of course have all that. Some series technically have mythological gods but their concepts and stuff, as traditionally seen, are mostly irrelevant to the plot, such as The God of Highschool and Assassin's Creed.

I'm also incredibly happy you mentioned Scion, I love Tabletop RPGs and I wish more profiles of them were done.

Lol never
Didn't the original publisher of the Shinza Bansho visual novels go under?

god of war games
I've heard that future games will have Kratos visit the Celtic, Egyptian and Japanese Pantheons. I've also heard rumblings of a Mesoamerican Pantheon as well. Not sure if it's the Aztecs or the Mayans that they'll go with. Do you think they'll go beyond those ones I mentioned just now?

I really love this question, as I too am very fond of mythological series!

I'll be mostly watching, as people will probably cover all I can say. The Riordanverse, DC and Marvel of course have all that. Some series technically have mythological gods but their concepts and stuff, as traditionally seen, are mostly irrelevant to the plot, such as The God of Highschool and Assassin's Creed.

I'm also incredibly happy you mentioned Scion, I love Tabletop RPGs and I wish more profiles of them were done.
If you know of more series take the same approach as "Assassin's Creed" and "The God of High School" then you can list them off even if they take a backseat to the plot at hand. Also, I've been looking for the right moment to bulk buy all the hardcover books for Scion 2nd Edition when I get the chance. Do you know which gamebooks I should go for that will give me the max amount of options for pantheon parentage as well as are printed in hardcover? Which online retailers could I get physical copies from?

I've heard that future games will have Kratos visit the Celtic, Egyptian and Japanese Pantheons. I've also heard rumblings of a Mesoamerican Pantheon as well. Not sure if it's the Aztecs or the Mayans that they'll go with. Do you think they'll go beyond those ones I mentioned just now?
I'm not sure to be honest. It all depends on how successful the series remains but they very well could since every pantheon exists in its multiverse.

Well, saint seiya, depending on which specific installment, is usually focused on Greek myths, but does like to delve into others, some more than others. Notably Nordic stuff, and a little Chinese,Aztec, a decent amount of Roman, a good amount of King Arthur stuff, a Mesopotamian guy, some Japanese stuff. So in short, I think you could enjoy that. Although, again, it’s like 80% Greeks stuff

If you know of more series take the same approach as "Assassin's Creed" and "The God of High School" then you can list them off even if they take a backseat to the plot at hand. Also, I've been looking for the right moment to bulk buy all the hardcover books for Scion 2nd Edition when I get the chance. Do you know which gamebooks I should go for that will give me the max amount of options for pantheon parentage as well as are printed in hardcover? Which online retailers could I get physical copies from?
Oh, sure thing! Once I do remember, I'll note more verses here.

Sadly, no. I still haven't had the opportunity to play Scion, so I barely know anything about the RPG aside from the general plot and premise. I can look it up if you wanna, though!

I'm not sure to be honest. It all depends on how successful the series remains but they very well could since every pantheon exists in its multiverse.
Hopefully the God of War franchise continues to be financially successful. On a related note, what are some obscure pantheons you'd like to see show up more not only in God of War, but fiction in general? My top picks are the Finnish, Zoroastrian/Persian, Turco-Mongol/Tengrist, Inca and Canaanite Pantheons. Especially in games like Smite where the MOBA genre is more conducive to having ridiculously large playable character rosters in general.

Official Website: http://www.light.gr.jp/light/products/dies_portal/
or yu can check vndb website for it
here is for steam

now this is KKK
Official website: http://www.light.gr.jp/light/products/kajirikamuikagura/index.html
VNDB: https://vndb.org/v5844

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately I can't read Japanese since the only language I speak is English. I wish you could download foreign language fluency into your brain directly. But that's neither here nor there.

Well, saint seiya, depending on which specific installment, is usually focused on Greek myths, but does like to delve into others, some more than others. Notably Nordic stuff, and a little Chinese,Aztec, a decent amount of Roman, a good amount of King Arthur stuff, a Mesopotamian guy, some Japanese stuff. So in short, I think you could enjoy that. Although, again, it’s like 80% Greeks stuff
Huh, I didn't realize that Saint Seiya made references to Norse, Chinese, Aztec, Arthurian, Mesopotamian and Japanese Myth as well. It certainly looks the part of by 80% Greek Myth, that's for sure.

High School DxD
Honestly, I'm at the point in my anime watching hobby where I don't care for appearing to have "good" or "bad" taste and just watch whatever I feel like watching. That's what led me to reading manga more obscure than the average Shonen Jump series like Kengan Omega, Record of Ragnarok, and Majo Taisen. Hell, I even like Monster Musume. So don't feel bad about recommending me some mythology themed harem anime if there's more than just High School DxD.

Oh, sure thing! Once I do remember, I'll note more verses here.

Sadly, no. I still haven't had the opportunity to play Scion, so I barely know anything about the RPG aside from the general plot and premise. I can look it up if you wanna, though!
I was looking it up the other day and you can apparently buy physical copies of the gamebooks on a website called DriveThruRPG. Here's the link to the OnyxPath Publishing product page that gives out links to DriveThruRPG: http://theonyxpath.com/scion-products/

Hopefully the God of War franchise continues to be financially successful. On a related note, what are some obscure pantheons you'd like to see show up more not only in God of War, but fiction in general? My top picks are the Finnish, Zoroastrian/Persian, Turco-Mongol/Tengrist, Inca and Canaanite Pantheons. Especially in games like Smite where the MOBA genre is more conducive to having ridiculously large playable character rosters in general.
I'm not really aware of any obscure Pantheons but I would love to see a GOW game set in Egyptian, Japanese, or Hindu mythology. I like how relatively accurate the developers handle the Greek and Norse mythology (especially the Norse) and it seems they are going to accurately depict crazier aspects of the Norse mythology. So seeing a AAA game series that handles mythological depictions in an accurate enough fashion featuring a Egyptian/Japanese/Hindu mythology setting would be very very cool to me.

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately I can't read Japanese since the only language I speak is English. I wish you could download foreign language fluency into your brain directly. But that's neither here nor there.
Dies irae is in english tho, it is also more enjoyable than KKK although longer

I'm not really aware of any obscure Pantheons but I would love to see a GOW game set in Egyptian, Japanese, or Hindu mythology. I like how relatively accurate the developers handle the Greek and Norse mythology (especially the Norse) and it seems they are going to accurately depict crazier aspects of the Norse mythology. So seeing a AAA game series that handles mythological depictions in an accurate enough fashion featuring a Egyptian/Japanese/Hindu mythology setting would be very very cool to me.
Those are big names in mythology, but they're good choices as well. I'm definitely looking forward to whenever GoW gets around to Celtic Myth since that'll probably be one of if not the first AAA depictions of Celtic Mythology that we'll see.

Dies irae is in english tho, it is also more enjoyable than KKK although longer
Yeah, I could tell by the Steam link. I was mainly referring to how I won't be able to read KKK as is since I can't read Japanese. But since Dies Irae is on Steam I'll get around to buying it somewhere down the line.

As for the recommendation, i have a plenty of it since Nasuverse and Records of Ragnarok was already in your list
  • For Greek Mythology i think God of War and Hades would be good for you
  • Riordanverse is good too, covered the Greek, Norse, and Egypt myths
  • Speaking of Norse myth, GoW 4 is a good way to introduced the norse elements on your knowledge
  • Japanese myths? There is a lot of them, like Nurarihyon no Mago with its Yokai stuffs, but if you don't mind with Japanese historical then Rurounin Kenshin, Gintama, and Sengoku Basara are the recommended or if you're man of culture then try out Shikkoku no Shaga, a.k.a an h**ntai anim#slapped

reincarnation no kaben, altho you don't directly get the characters, instead, people from the XXIth century obtain the power of someone they are the reincarnation of. Great manga overall, only historical characters tho but it's mostly historical characters with legends around them

As for the recommendation, i have a plenty of it since Nasuverse and Records of Ragnarok was already in your list
  • For Greek Mythology i think God of War and Hades would be good for you
  • Riordanverse is good too, covered the Greek, Norse, and Egypt myths
  • Speaking of Norse myth, GoW 4 is a good way to introduced the norse elements on your knowledge
  • Japanese myths? There is a lot of them, like Nurarihyon no Mago with its Yokai stuffs, but if you don't mind with Japanese historical then Rurounin Kenshin, Gintama, and Sengoku Basara are the recommended or if you're man of culture then try out Shikkoku no Shaga, a.k.a an h**ntai anim#slapped
Thanks for the recommendations!

reincarnation no kaben, altho you don't directly get the characters, instead, people from the XXIth century obtain the power of someone they are the reincarnation of. Great manga overall, only historical characters tho but it's mostly historical characters with legends around them
I quickly google'd Reincarnation no Kaben to get a glimpse of what the characters are like. It seems to be mostly historical figures with legends associated with them as you said, but it looks interesting nonetheless. Thank you for informing me of this manga's existence.

I've recently gotten into playing "Idling to Rule the Gods" in my spare time. It's great to have on in the background while you're browsing the web. It's on Steam in case any of you want to try it.

Back