• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Little Pony's Ignored Rule Regarding the Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antvasima said:
Well, I strongly disapprove of mixing continuities that have been firmly established to contradict each other several times over. Sorry, but I am not budging regarding this. It isn't about the statistics. It is about enforcing consistent workable standards.
Also, isn't Promestein mostly uninformed about this series? I have watched all of it, and read quite a lot of the comicbooks.
It isn't mixing contradicting continuities if the comics we use aren't contradicted by the cartoon. This only works if you assume we're trying to involve every comic in the cartoon canon, which I've repeatedly stated I'm not trying to do.

Promestein's lack of knowledge in My Little Pony is only relevant when we're talking about powerscaling and other related things, that sort of thing requires you to actually know the characters and how they relate to one another. But in this case, we're discussing rules for the wikia and how they relate to the comic series. She knows the rules, being a bureaucrat and all. We're not discussing feats or who scales to who, we're analyzing statements said about the series. That doesn't require nearly as much in-depth knowledge about the series.

There are several stories and characterisations that strongly contradict the TV show, and the comicbooks are all supposed to reference each other as far as I am aware. We cannot properly easily untangle them from each other.

Again, I am never going to budge regarding this issue, as it threatens important wiki standards, with potential far-reaching negative consequences, and find your neverending persistence very exasperating to deal with. As such I would greatly appreciate if you could please permanently drop it, as I have many other tasks to deal with. Thank you.

A. Mere references don't automatically make any comic that does it non-canon.

B. As I pointed out to you the last time you brought this point up: Many many of the comics are standalone stories.

C. Based on what does this have negative reaching consequences? No, seriously, why would we have to do to other series what with My Little Pony just because My Little Pony does it? How many movies do we have that are stated to be canon to the manga, out of countless non-canon ones to that same manga? Do you see anyone trying to argue that all those non-canon movies ought to be canon just because one of them was allowed? No! Because people are smart enough to realize that the one movie has stuff going for it that makes it an exception to conventional rules.

So tell me: How is what we're doing any different? I'm not pulling the exception card out of my backside you know. I have my reasons for it. Kinda the whole reason this thread exists to begin with.

I really don't have the available time and energy to continue to deal with this, but as I mentioned earlier, as far as I understand, the comicbooks largely form a cohesive whole, so if several of them completely contradict the cartoon, this affects all of them. The alternative of trying to untangle the comicbook stories from each other by stating that they all take place in different alternative universes is a too complicated approach. In addition, the cartoon has not repeatedly referenced the stories within the comicbooks to give them legitimacy.

Last edited:
Depends.

And while I'm still working on my response to the "cohesive whole" argument, I do have this to say about the "references" argument:

Nowhere in my twitter quote does it say the show has to reference the comics in order to work. That's literally a made up rule.

It is our standard way of handling different continuities that deal with the same subject matter. Again, this is not going to pass, and I would appreciate if you stop making me even more exhausted than I already am.

YEEESSSSS! THIS! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THIS!!!!! TTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen so much stuff from the comics used to justify the abilities and power levels of characters from the show that it is bat$#!% INSANE!!!!! One example that ESPECIALLY p!$$es me off is Celestia being Multiversal for warping a bunch of dreams when THE SHOW SHOWED US THAT SHE CAN'T DO THAT WITHOUT LUNA'S MAGIC! It genuinely looks like the website is ignoring a blatant rule that the producers gave for no reason, and the result was a load of $#!%!!!!!

i hate this site, man ...

This was a necro of a very old thread, so we should probably close this discussion. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back