• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

More Twilight Sparkle Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wanted to do this for a while, I tried getting it done on someone else's thread, (it was relevant to the character) but only one person (not counting Antvasima) commented on it. Time to make it into a full on thread. This is gonna be kinda long, so bear with me here. I do hope you have the patience to read through it.

Many months ago the characters were downgraded from 4-B to 4-C/High 4-C. Twilight got hit worse than any of them, mostly because she reasonably was not as powerful as the other Alicorns. Her Low 4-C key which she had prior to the 4-B upgrade got taken down as well. From what I remember, it was mostly because she had too many anti-feats to the Pony of Shadows comparison of her to Starswirl. The thread is going to discuss some of the points made in the previous.

"She is consistently given problems with monsters that give her own friends problems, such as the Bugbear attack." In "A Matter of Principles" Starlight sent one running for the hills after a single shot later on. "She was amplified by anger at the time." At most, she was mildly angry about a monster assaulting her students. By comparison: She lost everything because of Twilight, was borderline psychotic and went full-blown stalker for the remainder of the season, going as far as messing with time to get revenge. If anything, she was far far angrier and thus more powerful by extension at the time the two fought. That argument only makes Twilight more impressive for matching Starlight at peak anger.

"She had problems with the Tatzelwurm." I'm pretty sure this makes Twilight look more impressive. In "The Fundamentals of Magic" shorts, Princess Celestia explicitly states that it has a hide able to resist all but the strongest of magic. Twilight hurting it is a feat, not an anti-feat.

"The Storm Guards gave her problems." They had highly magic resistant armor. They overpowered her physically literally once from what I've seen, and that's it. Most importantly: At the end of the movie, they were thoroughly trashed and overpowered by characters far weaker than Twliight. They weren't just getting beaten, they were getting utterly destroyed. At no point in the final battle did any of them pose a massive threat to the heroes, and served only to get beaten up by the heroes as they went to free Twilight. Them overpowering Twilight + Rainbow Dash for literally one scene isn't an anti-feat for her, but an outlier for them.

"She is consistently portrayed as on par with her friends." She is consistently portrayed as the strongest Unicorn in Ponyville. Trixie was overpowering and humiliating the stronger members of them Mane 6 in her début, yet isn't anything special compared to Twilight. Not even powerful ponies like Sunset Shimmer come anywhere near Unicor Twilight's magical might, and that gap only got bigger with her Ascension to Alicornhood. And yes, the show does make a distinction between Unicorn and Alicorn Magic, with Twilight mentioning her Alicorn Magic in the Season 4 Finale.

Twilight overpowered and restrained all of her friends at once sans Pinkie via Telekinesis, which further goes against her being portrayed at their levels. I doubt it was paralysis given how they can move their eyes and mouths. The more likely and more simple answer is that she restrained their movements via Telekinesis.

Trixie with the Alicorn Amulet can cast spells that only top tier Unicorns can cast, yet Starlight uses those same spells to play childrens games. Then there is Chancellor Neighsay. His amulet contains the most potent of Unicorn magic. Twilight deals with a spell cast with the most potent of Unicorn magic by effortlessly blasting the spell to pieces. Two times "most powerful Unicorns" is mentioned, and two times Twilight either outmatches it, or scales to someone who does.

Tempest Shadow coveted not only the princesses power, but Twilight's as well, with their dialogue before Twilight getting drained referring to her power specifically. And Tirek desired it too; well before he realized she also had the magic of the others. Why the heck would either of them want magic from someone who is only unquantifiably more powerful than your average pony? It makes no sense. It's almost as if they consider her magic to be stupidly powerful and something worth getting.

Before anyone even says it; yes, I'm aware the staff wouldn't work without Twilight's power. That however, is not my point. Multiple times Tempest expresses jealousy at the power the princesses wield. She does so when "talking" to Celestia's petrified form, and then again when talking to Twilight, and the dialogue between Tempest and Twilight is explicitly talking about Twilight's magic. So again: Why would she be jealous of someone only a bit stronger than her? Even if you don't believe that, it still can't be denied that she at least lumped Twilight in with the other princesses in her jealousy of power.

Celestia had never seen power like Twilight's before. The notion that Twilight has yet to unlock this potential is not only speculation, but speculation that has far more going against it than for. To an extent it defeats the point of her ascension to Alicornhood; to perform an extraordinary magical feat that even the legend himself couldn't do, and wind up creating a completely new form of magic in the process. Statements from the EoH guidebook saying that she "mastered magic" or "ascending from simple ponyhood" (this is not paraphrasing, but taken from the guidebook), and being compared to the likes of Starswirl via Pony of Shadows only further backs up that she has unlocked her potential. In a world where the top tiers are varying degrees of Tier 4, does someone who "mastered magic" or "ascended from simple ponyhood" really sound like someone in the tier 6 range, only a bit far ahead of ponies like Sunset Shimmer or Trixie? Not to me at least, and in my opinion, it makes her feel like Sunset Shimmer and Trixie; whom while powerful individuals, both are ill-trained and very much not magical masters as Twilight is said to be. It kinda makes Twilight look like a joke. If Starswirl made new spells, then Twilight took it even further and created a new form of magic completely. None of this sounds like someone who hasn't unlocked her full potential. In fact, it sounds completely the opposite.

In my opinion, a Low 4-C rating, or better yet, a "likely" or "possibly" sounds fair. 4-C is obviously too much, but scaling Low 4-C to the statement doesn't sound unreasonable, and the statement certainly isn't unsupported.

A large part of the downgrade from 4-B was because of the (completely bs imho) rule that says no matter how calculable the resulting energy would be, moving a star is star level only. Even if the speed is only something like Mach 20, moving a Sun-sized star is going to get you 4-C regardless of kinetic energy you'd get otherwise.

That being said, I agree with a good chunk of this. Bump.

@Lightbuster30

The only FTL Sun-moving feats for the ponies happened when all of the Princesses' power was channeled into one place (Twilight and the Staff). It's questionable if we can say Discord moved the Sun so fast since it was already established the Sun and Moon moved that way already.

No, there were at least two calculated instances where the sun was shown being FTL and one that came extremely close to FTL (94c), even under just Celestia's power. It's been tirelessly debated so I rather just drop that, at least for now.

As for the upgrade, was it ever stated the Storm Minions had anti-magic stuff? I don't recall that instance. Otherwise, I think "possibly 4-C" is okay.

Darkanine said:
As for the upgrade, was it ever stated the Storm Minions had anti-magic stuff? I don't recall that instance. Otherwise, I think "possibly 4-C" is okay.
I assume it was. Their armor literally reflected Twilight's magic. They had her in a magic proof cage. I'd assume their armor was magic resistant. It's still a big outlier for them anyway since they were getting smacked by weaker characters at the end of the movie.

Possibly 4-C for who? Twilight? Of all the things I disagree with, I do agree with people that she shouldn't scale to the princesses fully. If this statement gets accepted, then she scales to 1/6th of Celestia's feat AKA Starswirl and his Unicorn team. If she hadn't said she wasn't as powerful, or at least Starwswirl can do the feat on his own then yeah, but he can't, and he is who she scales to.

I was asked to comment, but don't have the time and energy available to read all of that. Sorry.

I trust Darkanine's sense of judgement though.

I do too, but I do wish he'd explain the "Possibly 4-C" for who I assume is Twilight. She did outright claim she didn't have their magic. Which leaves her with scaling to top tier Unicorns such as Starswirl, who is only Low 4-C as of Horse Play.

Maybe Azathoth should be asked to comment here as well?

Darkanine said:
Sorry, I was tired so I only skimmed the thread.

Possibly Low 4-C via scaling to the unicorns from Horse Play seems okay though.
Well what of everything else? You mentioned earlier being iffy on the subject in the other thread.

I am trying to be fair and provide middle ground here. Not only did she not state to be as strong as Celestia, but she is only stated to be as powerful as a Low 4-C.

Look, this isn't about upgrading Twilight to full 4-C, and I myself have some things to say about ftl Suns, but now is not the time, and only derails the thread. It will be discussed later; much later. For now let's just focus on the points at hand.

I agree with such revisions as Low 4-C via scaling to the Unicorns in Horse Play. It does make quite a bit of sense.

Would this affect the Human Elements BTW ? I mean, shouldnt the Element of Magic alone be at least comparable to Alicorn Twilight in raw power output ?

Could someone answer my question quickly so we can address this right now ?

As for Twilight scaling to the Unicorns I 100% agree considering even Unicorn Twilight is consistently referred to be the strongest Unicorn by Celestia, and her Alicorn self should be a lot stronger.

Maybe? Idk. I asked Azathoth to comment per Antvasima's request, but he'll look over the thread later (my doing, I wanted him to wait until he wasn't so busy do he wouldn't skim the thread). If he doesn't comment by January I'll ask him again, and hope for the best.

Honestly, Twilight could be 4-C anyway because the royal sisters are super casually star level. Though I guess scaling to Starswirl makes more sense. Anywya, she's definitely not just in tier 6.

I think that it is best if you ask Azathoth to comment as well.

Also, is Starlight Glimmer officially even more powerful than alicorn Twilight Sparkle?

Antvasima said:

Also, is Starlight Glimmer officially even more powerful than alicorn Twilight Sparkle?
I asked him a few weeks ago, and while he did say he'd respond, he hasn't yet. I tried reminding him a couple days ago, but I haven't gotten a response.

Yeah. There was Twilight stating she was stronger than her, Starlight matching Twilight in combat, and her magic pushing back the Pony of Shadows along with Twilight.

Okay. If you link to the thread where you asked him, I can remind him as well.

Lightbuster30 said:
Antvasima said:

I asked him a few weeks ago, and while he did say he'd respond, he hasn't yet. I tried reminding him a couple days ago, but I haven't gotten a response.
Yeah. There was Twilight stating she was stronger than her, Starlight matching Twilight in combat, and her magic pushing back the Pony of Shadows along with Twilight.
When did she say Starlight was stronger? Also, the other two feats don't demonstrate that Starlight's stronger, especially not the last one. SUNBURST helped with that. SUNBURST. But you aren't gonna say he's at Alicorn Twilight level, are you?

Twilight said she has more magic talent than anyone she knows and that her magic couldn't stop her in the Season 5 Finale. I think that's where the stronger thing comes from.

Also when Lightbuster30 said Starlight pushed back PoS alongside Twilight he was talking about their first encounter with the weakened PoS at the beginning of Shadow Play Part 2.

When she was fighting Starlight?

When did Sunburst shoot a laser at the PoS? Didn't you read what I wrote? I said she pushed back the Pony of Shadow's magic along with Twilght. So I reiterate: When did Sunburst combine lasers with Twilight to push back the PoS? The answer is he didn't. If you're talking about the time when literally everyone used magic at once to free Stygian, then you have the wrong scene, and it wouldn't scale to him anyways since it was a group effort from 2 pairs of the EoH, and a couple others.

By severely exerting herself Starlight also destroyed Discord's physical body in a single blast, and later restored it.

She managed to make Celestia and Luna switch powers as well.

Basically most of the arguments saying she struggled with monsters are either unjustified, may actually make her more powerful in some cases, or are completely contradicted later on (such as the Bugbear and Storm Creatures getting beat down by weaker characters).

The arguments for her being portrayed as "on par" with her friends is also contradicted by her portrayal, overpowering them, being far superior to powerhouses like Sunset Shimmer even as a unicorn, and even Trixie showing superiority to characters like Rainbow and Applejack.

Then you have her overpowering Chamcellor Neighsay's seal cast by his Amulet (stated to house some of the most potent of unicorn magic), and being comparable to people able to casually casting top tier unicorn spells (Starlight Glimmer). And the heavy unsupport and speculation that assumes Twilight has yet to unlock her full potential.

Due to arguing against so many different points, the thread is kinda big, and I myself and not the best at summarizing. I can provide further context if need be.

Well, I personally do not mind, but Azathoth has a better sense of judgement regarding this topic.

Antvasima said:
Well, I personally do not mind, but Azathoth has a better sense of judgement regarding this topic.
I also think we should wait. I understand that he appears to semi-support it, but he also wants to give his opinion and why he thinks it. I only worry how long it will take since he is a busy person.

Yeah i gotta agree im sorry im so far behind that i dont know enough about half of what you just explained to give an accurate argument...sorry...

WeeklyBattles said:
Yeah i gotta agree im sorry im so far behind that i dont know enough about half of what you just explained to give an accurate argument...sorry...
Do you want specific scenes for context?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back