• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mirror World Canonicity - Zoku Owarimonogatari CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
With a new season of Monogatari concluding comes a few minor ability additions to existing profiles. However, all of these changes rely on the claim that actions mirror-world versions of characters took can be done by their ordinary selves. I believe they can.

What's Different
The mirror world has many things different. Letters in books are flipped left to right, hot water and cold water taps are on different sides to usual. However, many characters themselves have various changes.

The long-dead Tooe Gaen is alive and well.

Yotsugi Ononoki, a doll with no emotions, has emotions and expresses them heavily.

Shinobu Oshino, a vampire, is back to her human self, as vampires can't be seen in mirrors.

Mayoi Hachikuji, a ghost who died in a traffic accident before she could grow up, is now an adult ghost.

Nadeko Sengoku, a mild-mannered girl whose suppressed ferocity culminated in her turning into a snake goddess, before turning back to being human, is now still a snake goddess but a retired one.

Suruga Kanbaru, someone whose hate for the main character manifested in turning into a demon during nighttime, before that was resolved with merely her arm being affected, is now constantly a hate-filled demon.

Tsubasa Hanekawa, who has overcome and accepted her aberration nature of Black Hanekawa already, is back to being the aberration Black Hanekawa in this mirror world. More than this, there's also a 6-year-old version of herself present. She's the only character to have two representations in this world due to her multiple personalities normally.

Karen Araragi, who has a (relatively hidden) complex about her tall height is now shorter than usual.

Tsukihi Araragi, a girl who's always been honest and straightforward with her feelings... Has no changes whatsoever.

Why It's Cano
During the final episode the nature of the "Mirror World" is explained. In actuality, it's just the real world, but with reality having been warped on a town-wide scale. Rather than the main character Koyomi Araragi having gone into a mirror world, he instead reached into a mirror and pulled "something" out.

This whole arc (Koyomi Reverse), has many allusions to mirrors. The factoid is mentioned that mirrors only reflect 80% of the light, and the show interprets this as meaning that the other 20% of light is erased or executed. Out of the mirror, Koyomi Araragi pulled out the 20% of regrets and bitter memories that those in the town were trying to forget or leave behind. Every character's changes (and Tsukihi's lack of changes) are explained through this framework.

Quotes and further details
Gaen probably left Tooe here because she was a bitter memory. On the other hand, I'm sure Hanekawa's presence was just the result of her regrets. I guess she really had trouble parting with everyone. Almost like a six year old, isn't she? I suppose it's thanks to that that we were able to work together. It's the same with Oikura. I doubt she ever wanted anyone to know that she regretted not having been able to get closer to you when she left this town.
Remnants of the former humanity of Kiss-shot Acerola-orion Heart-under-blade and Ononoki Yotsugi. Araragi Karen's complex over her femininity. Hachikuji Mayoi, who couldn't become an adult. The ferocity hidden within Sengoku Nadeko and Kanbaru Suruga. All things that they've forgotten, or wanted to forget. You brought all those things that had been left behind to this side.''

It's also explained that Koyomi didn't pull anything physical into the real world to warp it, he pulled through something mental. In the end, the situation was resolved with only lingering aftereffects by placing a 0% reflective disk in the spiritual center-point of the town, which was said to absorb the 20% of light that Koyomi had guided into the town.

Given that the feats from this arc that are going to be used for profiles are either irrelevant to what was actually changed about them, or would only apply to characters at their prime which they were reverted to during this arc. I think it's fine to use these feats on the profiles.

Necessary Changes
There's actually only four minor changes that come from this arc.

Yotsugi Ononoki should get Limited Mind Manipulation (Capable of restructuring her own personality, and did so to make herself a more useful tool for Yozuru Kagenui) and Resistance to Mind Manipulation (Resisted the mind-altering effects of Shinobu Oshino as a human)

Ougi Oshino should get some addition to her Matter Manipulation, to mention how she swapped her uniform with Koyomi's, and she should also get Limited Light Manipulation (While trapped in a room changed Koyomi's reflection in some water, this may have only been possible due to the bond between them)

And that's it. Other feats are either already on the profile (A weaker part of Shinobu Oshino's mind manipulation as a human comes from this arc, specifically the instinctively kneeling in her presence), or are for characters which don't have a profile yet and likely wouldn't change the current tiers through scaling (such as this feat). Or are for entirely new keys for characters that I haven't worked on yet (Koyomi Araragi may need a human key for warping the town on this scale in the first place).

Sure but I'd think that, if she could restructure her personality once because it was made sub-optimal, that she'd likely be able to restructure it again if it was changed in a non-beneficial way.

Ononoki is already dead so it makes sense that she has resistance towards Shinobu's mind manipulation.

Agnaa said:
Sure but I'd think that, if she could restructure her personality once because it was made sub-optimal, that she'd likely be able to restructure it again if it was changed in a non-beneficial way.
That would be a very limited mind manip though

Any sort of manipulation can have "Limited" put in front of it if it's particularly narrow. I'll edit that into the OP then.

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

I've asked a couple.

Spoke about it earlier to the nerd on Discord, it looked fine then and it seems alright now (even with my limited knowledge on the verse).

Thanks for the input everyone.

I suppose that this seems fine to apply, yes.

Done, this thread can be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back