• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor Marisa Kirisame CRT: Weaknesses Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introduction

Marisa has 2 weaknesses currently listed on her profile:
Weaknesses: Marisa's magic lacks versatility, and she's not very skilled in close combat.
These weaknesses of hers have been untouched ever since the creation of her profile. However, they have greatly overstayed their welcome and should be removed. I will be tackling each and one of them for reasons why.

Versatility​

This was a valid weakness she has back when her profile was made as the only notable hax she had was Energy Projection and Danmaku as her main use of magic. On the surface, her character is known for her lasers (With her Mini-Hakkero and the iconic Master Spark) and star-themed Danmaku (light and heat magic). Comparing it to other characters in the series during this time, she lacked meaningful hax and didn't really bring much in the competition. Really, both of these abilities are not that impressive.

But as both the series and the profiles progressed, so did her character. Using her profile as a reference and some things I'll add, her magic has a variety of uses:
And amongst other things in her profile. Most notably - as of the most recent Touhou game (18.5; 100th Black Market), Marisa has the ability to create a magic circle that has Space-Time Manipulation properties, passively slowing down anything to a near stop and continuously damaging them if they enter its radius. I'm surprised Marisa even has this ability tbh

In short, this weakness should be removed because as time progressed, both old and new abilities were found which renders this weakness to be redundant.

Close Combat​

The existence of the Touhou fighting games alone should prove this weakness of hers to be void. But for context...

In the early fighting games (7.5, 10.5, 12.3), Marisa's fighting style is pretty simple. She centers around hand-to-hand combat with occasional use of danmaku and her broom to strike her foes (Shoto style). However starting from 13.5, 14.5 and 15.5, her fighting style have greatly shifted to using her magic broom more as an improvised weapon. Remnants of her using hand-to-hand combat still exist and she would even create a star with her fingers to pack more punch. Furthermore, She can freely switch between her broom and hands mid-combo.

In addition, her broom has far more uses than just a simple weapon. Her broom alone can be:
In combination with her H2H combat and versatility of her broom as a weapon, that is not something that lacks skill. Not to mention, Marisa's no slouch in the defensive aspect of close combat either. For example:
With all that being said, this weakness was given to her by mistake. Why? First, let's examine where the weakness originally came from. It presumably came from this scan where Magicians are stated to lack skill in Close Combat.
xHY9uFc.png

So why should she have this weakness removed even though the scan outright states it? Because the whole page is referring to Youkai Magicians. The page titled "Magician" is referring to Youkai Magicians and in the print work, the page is listed in the Encyclopedia as a subcategory of Youkais. (Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, Magician)
b4gd5BZ.png

Conveniently, the Encyclopedia listed the characters who fall under the category of "Magician", which Marisa isn't in.
nFBaeBW.png

To emphasize, Marisa is not a Youkai Magician. She's a human who uses magic, specifically a Human Magician. Both are extremely different to each other. For greater detail, consider the following profiles:

Youkai Magicians: Alice Margatroid, Patchouli Knowledge, Byakuren Hijiri, Narumi Yatadera
Human Magicians: Marisa Kirisame

Marisa does not have the same classification as Youkai Magicians. She does not possess abilities such as Self-Sustenance, Telekinesis, Preparation, Age Manipulation, Stealth Mastery (though Marisa has a different one), and etc. From the aformentioned page, this is also the same scan where Youkai Magicians got their Preparation ability from.

As such, this weakness should be removed for the above reasons.

Summary​

Both weaknesses stem from outdated info and complete misinterpretation and thus, should be removed.

Last edited:

Introduction

Marisa has 2 weaknesses currently listed on her profile:

These weaknesses of hers have been untouched ever since the creation of her profile. However, they have greatly overstayed their welcome and should be removed. I will be tackling each and one of them for reasons why.

Versatility​

This was a valid weakness she has back when her profile was made as the only notable hax she had was Energy Projection and Danmaku as her main use of magic. On the surface, her character is known for her lasers (With her Mini-Hakkero and the iconic Master Spark) and star-themed Danmaku (light and heat magic). Comparing it to other characters in the series during this time, she lacked meaningful hax and didn't really bring much in the competition. Really, both of these abilities are not that impressive.

But as both the series and the profiles progressed, so did her character. Using her profile as a reference and some things I'll add, her magic has a variety of uses:
And amongst other things in her profile. Most notably - as of the most recent Touhou game (18.5; 100th Black Market), Marisa has the ability to create a magic circle that has Space-Time Manipulation properties, passively slowing down anything to a near stop and continuously damaging them if they enter its radius. I'm surprised Marisa even has this ability tbh

In short, this weakness should be removed because as time progressed, both old and new abilities were found which renders this weakness to be redundant.

Close Combat​

The existence of the Touhou fighting games alone should prove this weakness of hers to be void. But for context...

In the early fighting games (7.5, 10.5, 12.3), Marisa's fighting style is pretty simple. She centers around hand-to-hand combat with occasional use of danmaku and her broom to strike her foes (Shoto style). However starting from 13.5, 14.5 and 15.5, her fighting style have greatly shifted to using her magic broom more as an improvised weapon. Remnants of her using hand-to-hand combat still exist and she would even create a star with her fingers to pack more punch. Furthermore, She can freely switch between her broom and hands mid-combo.

In addition, her broom has far more uses than just a simple weapon. Her broom alone can be:
In combination with her H2H combat and versatility of her broom as a weapon, that is not something that lacks skill. Not to mention, Marisa's no slouch in the defensive aspect of close combat either. For example:
With all that being said, this weakness was given to her by mistake. Why? First, let's examine where the weakness originally came from. It presumably came from this scan where Magicians are stated to lack skill in Close Combat.
xHY9uFc.png

So why should she have this weakness removed even though the scan outright states it? Because the whole page is referring to Youkai Magicians. The page titled "Magician" is referring to Youkai Magicians and in the print work, the page is listed in the Encyclopedia as a subcategory of Youkais. (Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, Magician)
b4gd5BZ.png

Conveniently, the Encyclopedia listed the characters who fall under the category of "Magician", which Marisa isn't in.
nFBaeBW.png

To emphasize, Marisa is not a Youkai Magician. She's a human who uses magic, specifically a Human Magician. Both are extremely different to each other. For greater detail, consider the following profiles:

Youkai Magicians: Alice Margatroid, Patchouli Knowledge, Byakuren Hijiri, Narumi Yatadera
Human Magicians: Marisa Kirisame

Marisa does not have the same classification as Youkai Magicians. She does not possess abilities such as Self-Sustenance, Telekinesis, Preparation, Age Manipulation, Stealth Mastery (though Marisa has a different one), and etc. From the aformentioned page, this is also the same scan where Youkai Magicians got their Preparation ability from.

As such, this weakness should be removed for the above reasons.

Summary​

Both weaknesses stem from outdated info and complete misinterpretation and thus, should be removed.
Excellent work here. I’ve actually been planning this removal myself and have talked with @Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara about it in the past, and even started preparing a doc for it, but it looks like you beat me to it.

Congrats, both of these should be removed for sure.

also to note, you mentioned that Marisa can control her broom from a distance, I’m pretty sure she also causes her Hakkero to roll back to her in Lotus Eaters as well. That’s enough reason to give her a Telekinesis ability I’d say, considering she can recall or control her weapons manually without holding them. Should be fine to pass through and add to her profiles, it’s pretty blatant.

Excellent work here. I’ve actually been planning this removal myself and have talked with @Mad_Dog_of_Fujiwara about it in the past, and even started preparing a doc for it, but it looks like you beat me to it.

Congrats, both of these should be removed for sure.

also to note, you mentioned that Marisa can control her broom from a distance, I’m pretty sure she also causes her Hakkero to roll back to her in Lotus Eaters as well. That’s enough reason to give her a Telekinesis ability I’d say, considering she can recall or control her weapons manually without holding them. Should be fine to pass through and add to her profiles, it’s pretty blatant.
Yeah I got you, this is the scan (Lotus Eaters, Chapter 22). Sick profile pic btw.

Last edited:
Yeah her weaknesses are outdated and redundant but I didn’t mind a CRT to bring it up for discussion, plus I found some blatant abilities she has along with it.

Anyways, since this thread has been uncontroversial and has enough staff input, I’ll start applying the changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back