• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor DMC Removal

Also, wouldn't Trish's Lightning work as a layer in this case?
I don't think electricity works like that.

We have this thing on the layers page.
Moreover, layering should not be thought of as applying to abilities which intuitively can be overcome with magnitude, such as heat resistance or analytical prediction. For instance, it is not layered fire manipulation to burn someone with a heat source hotter than they can withstand.
I think electricity fits into this, since a guy who can resist a million voltz doesn't mean he can resist 1 billion.

looks good.(tbh I don’t know why no one had brought up him withstanding lightning and electricity from both Nevan and Griffon instead, these are far better feats than this)
Do you have scans of those instances? I wouldn't mind just replacing the justification.

I think electricity fits into this, since a guy who can resist a million voltz doesn't mean he can resist 1 billion.
Agreed. Electricity can't really be "layered".

Do you have scans of those instances? I wouldn't mind just replacing the justification.

Agreed. Electricity can't really be "layered".
It is in their boss fight, he withstands their electricity / lightning, unlike Trish’s, he still takes minimal damage but that’s expected from a game.

Last edited:

I don’t think elemental abilities in general like fire,ice etc can be layered either way,unless the verse has some specific mechanics that allows it to happen.

I don’t think elemental abilities in general like fire,ice etc can be layered either way,unless the verse has some specific mechanics that allows it to happen.
I wonder what it's like at absolute zero.

Until you get to that point, it's not something "layered" since someone who can withstand x temperature wouldn't be able to resist y, but absolute zero is the maximum of that. So from there the layers happen? Or not?

I'm going to stop because it's a derailment, it was just something that came up.

Uh, I mean if it's just taking a blast of electricity and getting harmed by it, then it isn't really resistance. He'd have to be unharmed by it for it to be a resistance.
isn’t the resistance for electricity manipulation granted if the character doesn’t get electrocuted by the electricity? Cause Dante doesn’t, but it still takes off a tiny bit of his health bar, just like his every enemy in the game can damage you.

Damn, DMC sure is getting the short end of the stick with these downgrades.

Other than that, neutral, but slightly leaning to agree.

isn’t the resistance for electricity manipulation granted if the character doesn’t get electrocuted by the electricity? Cause Dante doesn’t, but it still takes off a tiny bit of his health bar, just like his every enemy in the game can damage you.
No? If this is a standard, then it's completely new to me. If Dante is visibly harmed by electricity, and you seem to admit he is, then he doesn't resist it.

No? If this is a standard, then it's completely new to me. If Dante is visibly harmed by electricity, and you seem to admit he is, then he doesn't resist it.
(Well yeah cause everything in most games is coded to damage you) but I was under the impression that you get resistance to electricity manipulation if you resist getting electrocuted by it , if that isn’t the case in the wiki’s standards then I have nothing else to add 🗽🗽🗽

If you notice, in many games you take damage to the x thing but it is placed as resistance on the wiki. Like, just go to some of the most famous ones and look at the resistances that come from the gameplay, you will probably see him being affected/receiving damage and it will be listed as resistance. Why exactly and the argument? I don't know, but it's common.

If you notice, in many games you take damage to the x thing but it is placed as resistance on the wiki. Like, just go to some of the most famous ones and look at the resistances that come from the gameplay, you will probably see him being affected/receiving damage and it will be listed as resistance. Why exactly and the argument? I don't know, but it's common.
Yeah video game verses are that way mostly, I think it is because let’s say attack A is said to be able to petrify anyone who gets hurt by it, character B gets hit by the attack but they don’t get petrified and only take a bit of physical damage, they will get a resistance to petrification that way as far as im aware.

On Dante's profile:
"Electricity Manipulation (Withstood electricity from Trish[41])"
My brother in Christ he is literally writhing around on the ground in agony. He is not "withstanding" shit.
He does beat demons who use electricity, such as Blitz, Nevan and Griffon. He also blocks Griffon's lightning with his sword in DMC5 without getting shocked.

Honestly, I think the scene with Trish does tell us three things. Firstly, you are obviously correct that he's not immune to the current. I have to point out though, that he recovers right after and is not really harmed, so he's not writhing in agony as you've put it. He's convulsing due to the current causing his muscles to react.

In electricity, there are two primary things at play, the current and the wattage. The current is what causes convulsions and moves through objects, but the wattage is what fries things. In the case of lightning, that wattage includes a temperature of 30,000 Kelvins, roughly 30,000 degrees Celsius. Dante was clearly not harmed by that wattage or that temperature. Interestingly, he was more hurt by Ifrit soon after despite the lack of that current. This actually makes it a solid heat resistance feat.

Now for the main thing, the current. Firstly, a current like that is very capable of damaging organs, most notably the heart. The fact that the current is passing through a sword which is stabbed into his spinal column (which transmits signals all through the body) is also significant here.

TL;DR: depending on how we define resistance to electricity, this is uncertain. He resists the heat (heat resistance feat; 30K degrees Celsius) and the wattage, and his internal system is not damaged by the current. However, the current clearly does pass through him and does cause his muscles to convulse.

Last edited:
Not dying to electricity, but still getting severely harmed by it means you don't have a resistance to it. I do remember having my attempts to give Peppino resistance to Electricity Manipulation be rejected for the same reason.
Since the supporters are allergic to posting scans for some reason lemme just-

Casual DMC goon, signing out.
dante-sparda.gif

Not dying to electricity, but still getting severely harmed by it means you don't have a resistance to it.
Not severely harmed so much as convulsed due to the current which directly contracts muscles and then standing up unharmed.

Three things are involved in electricity-based damage. Current which causes convulsions, wattage which cooks you, and that aforementioned current breaking organs. Dante wasn't cooked even though Trish cooks demons all the time, Dante's internal system did not break, but he did convulse. So he was only affected by one of the three.

I dunno why you're trying to apply real world physics to fictional magical demon electricity. Not every form of Electricity Manipulation does the whole organ crushing thing, from what I've seen of the site's shaky standards regarding electricity, the currents and convulsions are treated as different abilities that are byproducts of Electricity Manipulation, and as such characters get different resistances if they're damaged by the wattage but aren't affected by the other effects.
not like this matters because we have other justifications for dante resisting this stuff

Actually, what I'm trying to do is point out the heat resistance feat, since lightning is 30,000 degrees Celsius, and it didn't seem to cook him at all.

and it didn't seem to cook him at all.
My brother in Sparda, there's steam coming out of him from everywhere.
On the topic of more justifications, I accidentally skipped over the Alastor stuff.

You could argue that this is just a cool visual effect, but if Dante activates Devil Trigger while wielding Alastor, his body gets coated in electricity and can unleash electrical blasts, so that's a good justification from ironically the same game where he gets cooked by Trish's electricity.

I thought Dante faked all that, same way he faked getting beaten down by being stabbed by her and being thrown around he literally got up like nothing happened and casually stomped her

Though he has other justifications, nevan, Griffin and others

My brother in Sparda, there's steam coming out of him from everywhere.
On the topic of more justifications, I accidentally skipped over the Alastor stuff.

You could argue that this is just a cool visual effect, but if Dante activates Devil Trigger while wielding Alastor, his body gets coated in electricity and can unleash electrical blasts, so that's a good justification from ironically the same game where he gets cooked by Trish's electricity.

But also, griffons lighting still hurts him. So it might just be because it is his own lighting.

My brother in Sparda, there's steam coming out of him from everywhere
He has 30K degree lightning pulsed into his spine for several seconds, and then gets up right afterwards undamaged. Even the steam and smoke can very easily be his clothes, his sweat, the floor, the wall.

Any cutscene where he has no problem? I remember griffon, the sword, trish, the vampire, nelo cavaliere and the three headed dog in dmc 5. Does he no sell it in any of these?
That could just be game mechanics.
Basically that. A cutscene would be better.

I mean, if you're referring to the gameplay itself, basically everything hurts the player
We're not talking about some fodder enemy that you can easily destroy though, we're talking about a boss that's also kinda important to Mundus' army, whose copycat version would later go on to also harm Dante. You cannot use the "eh its an outlier because gameplay" argument.

Back