• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Methuselah's mind hax

Monarch_Laciel

VS Battles
Retired
Based on the english scans, his mind hax aura isn't actually him "shunting" darkness into people's minds. It's him being the night, and being near/in the night is scary, and he is a billion decillion nights all at once, so being near him is so scary it crashes your mind.

So I think this should be changed from Mind Manipulation to a variant of Madness Manipulation. In the same way that people who go insane from seeing Cthulhu isn't actually Cthulhu reaching into their heads to make them crazy, people who go insane from being near Methuselah aren't going insane from him reaching into their heads to stick the fear in. He's just a really scary mofo.

Of course this could just be translation changes and the Japanese scans might outright say that he's directly affecting their minds, so I'll wait and see.

I'm not sure honestly

"The abyss would be so hard to bear that it would shatter their mortal minds"

That sounds like he is still putting the darkness inside of their minds which is why it shatters their minds

That doesn't say anything about him putting the darkness inside their minds. Look at the context:

(taking out bits where he's speaking...)

"A moment later, half the world felt the pressure of the densified darkness. People feared the dark. Being born with diurnal instincts, they saw places light couldn't reach as otherworldly."

"Wandering through just a single night's worth of darkness was deeply disturbing. This was both a truth and a law. And yes, even a single night was enough"

"Thousands, millions... he was a being made from years of dark nights so countless they seemed infinite. It was only obvious what would happen to the comparably short-lived creatures of the Obsidian Round Table if they touched but a fraction of Methuselah"

"The abyss would be so hard to bear that it would shatter their mortal minds".

It's talking about how if it's a single night is deeply disturbing, how much more disturbing must be millions at once?

Same reason empathic manipulation and fear manipulation and willpower manipulation are all things.

Sometimes the profiles need to get into more depth than just "can manipulate minds"

So this is just to change mind manipulation to madness manipulation?

You aren't questioning the potency, correct?

Cause I'd agree with you - it is explicitly stated to make people go mad, kill themselves, et cetera.

Monarch Laciel said:
Same reason empathic manipulation and fear manipulation and willpower manipulation are all things.
Sometimes the profiles need to get into more depth than just "can manipulate minds"
I agree with that.

Warren Valion said:
So this is just to change mind manipulation to madness manipulation?

You aren't questioning the potency, correct?

Cause I'd agree with you - it is explicitly stated to make people go mad, kill themselves, et cetera.
The potency is still fear of night x decillions

It's just the mechanics of how it works sounds more like madness type 3

Monarch Laciel said:
The potency is still fear of night x decillions

It's just the mechanics of how it works sounds more like madness type 3
I agree then.

Meth's mindhax is actually ridiculous, as not only did the fear cause people to die, go crazy, or kill themselves - but it also caused nightmares that lasted for years, and it caused fetus to become albinos, it also spawned art which was so scary that mearly reading, hearing, or seeing caused madness.

Pretty crazy to be honest.

hmmm seems alright. I mean considering ppl just go cray cray and all yeah seems alright

Back